Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When our Interstate was brand new, we met some friends at a conservation area and parked on a steep incline to be near them......had a problem then, not since.

You have to be very un-level for the frig not to work, and more un-level than you would be comfortable with, anyway.

If it's good for you, should be good for the frig.

I actually don't think I have ever seen a Class B using leveling blocks.

Maggie

Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
It is not all that important except when/if you get a liquid spill on the counters in galley or head and water etc. runs off onto floor.
At first, I did not bother to level if just a couple of inches difference side-to-side and we were just camping for a few days before moving on, but I almost always would set good front-to-back leveling. I try to set it as level possible for long stays though.
With time, you will find that leveling is not difficult at all and you just back one side or the other of the trailer up onto your boards/blocks or whatever.
I don't think I have ever used anything thicker than maybe 2" - 3" under either set of tires. I just carry some short pieces of 2-1/2" X 12" lumber for this.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Pi View Post
With time, you will find that leveling is not difficult at all and you just back one side or the other of the trailer up onto your boards/blocks or whatever.
I don't think I have ever used anything thicker than maybe 2" - 3" under either set of tires. I just carry some short pieces of 2-1/2" X 12" lumber for this.
This is the Sprinter and B-van subforum, and the OP owns an Interstate, so advice regarding a trailer might be of use to some readers, but likely not to the OP.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
We Use The Legos

The three main uses are for campsites that are way off level side to side, pads for the four stabilizers, and raising the trailer a bit when changing tires. They also make great knee pads if you are doing work outside the trailer in sloppy conditions. We bought two ten packs of lego blocks. 95% of the time, one pack of ten has been sufficient for our needs.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
It is not necessary, just more comfortable

Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit - Walmart.com

RV Leveling Blocks, Set of 10 - Four Corners D11-133 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Old 03-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've course I've heard this many, many times about the older absorption fridges, but the problem is, I've never heard anyone say HOW un-level it has to be before a fridge problem is created. It's on my list of things to determine conclusively but I have not yet. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
If you look at the back of your fridge you will see that the condenser (absorber?) tubes run at a slight angle to allow condensate to trickle down by gravity. If those tubes are level, or worse, reversed (running uphill) the refrigerator will not work and, I am told, can be permanently damaged. With the usual refrigerator installation the absorber tubes run fore-and-aft so that means it's fore-and-aft level that's important.

I also understand that current refrigerators are more tolerant of this than older models.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
2012 27' FB International
Ft Myers , Florida
The mechanics only matter in the extreme! What matters is how the Darling Wife feels about it. Come on! Unless you're doing a very short over-night, who would not level their trailer?
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Leveling Blocks

My first experience with a 22 foot Safari was down at Valley of Fires State Park in NM. I didn't figure I would need blocks, but spent thte first night hooked to the tow vehicle. After rolling out of bed twice during the night and not getting much sleep with my head below my feet, I decided to fix that the next night.

I had a couple of four foot 2 x 6 wood dividers in my Tundra bed liner to keep things from sliding, and those with a 2x6 about two feet long borrowed from the campground manager, I slept soundly the second night.

The first thing I did when I got home was to drive to Camping World and buy two packs of 10 "Lego blocks". Short pieces of wood work fine, but the two packs are very compact and are easy to store in the nylon bag they come in.

I sometimes use a couple to put under my trailer jack to raise the tongue high enough to get my Tundra hitch under the tongue when the foot sinks into soft ground. Cranking stabilizers up and then retracting the trailer jack to get the pads under the foot, then retracting the stabilizers and jacking the tongue up is easier than letting the air out of the back truck tires or trying to put the front wheels on ramps to lower the hitch ball.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Gentlemen, it was mentioned before, but the original poster has an Interstate, not a trailer! With a Class B leveling is just not that important or critical!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Gentlemen, it was mentioned before, but the original poster has an Interstate, not a trailer! With a Class B leveling is just not that important or critical!
I beg to differ. I've stayed in sites— usually at older State Parks— where leveling my class B was indeed important! It's not important to the all-electric fridge, but it's important to the drainage of the shower, it's important for cooking on the stove so the pans and skillets don't slide away, and it's important for the sliding side door to slide in a controllable fashion. If you've got sewer hookups, it's also important for properly draining your holding tanks, too.

You may not have to get it exactly level, but getting it to within about half-a-bubble off of plumb definitely helps if it's further off than that when you first park it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Being slightly un-level is eminently doable, tho, Protag.

You may have to hand-swish a bit of water toward the drain, but it's not at all difficult.

If you are so un-level that pans slide off the burners......that is a different story, and un-level enough that you might have trouble with your frig.

Usually, jockeying around in your site is all that is necessary.

Don't get too bogged down in perfection, folks.......unless you require perfection, of course .

I do in some areas , but you really just want to get out there and enjoy yourself.

We spent 3 wondeful weeks roaming the Rockies a couple of years ago, staying in NF sites and not being completely level even once. It was amazing.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Being slightly un-level is eminently doable, tho, Protag.
One reason why I have an Airstream Interstate instead of a live-aboard boat is that I had foot surgery a few years ago that left me with a left ankle that doesn't bend properly (but at least the foot is still attached! an ankle that doesn't bend properly is a lot better than amputation and a prosthetic!). Walking on an un-level surface is doable if I have a handhold to maintain my balance, but it's painful.

So my tolerance for not being level is a lot less than some people's. But that said, my first year of Airstream Interstate ownership I got by without leveling blocks. Right up until I stayed at a campground where the only available site has a 1-on-12 side-to-side slope. The van is only six and a half feet wide, but the driver's side was a full six inches higher than the passenger side. That's awfully un-level by anyone's standards. That campground was where I had that incident with the skillet sliding off the stove and depositing a nearly-raw omelet on the floor. That was when I decided that kneeling in the dirt to build a pyramid of lego blocks was worth the effort, so before my next trip I went to Camping World and bought some blocks.

Every time I level my Interstate, my bad ankle thanks me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If most of your camping is in modern RV type campgrounds you can be confident that the sites will be reasonably level and not require any serious levelling - but campsites in public parks are not necessarily built to the same consistent standard - a couple of leveling boards give you complete flexibility in helping you to be comfortable on pretty much any campsite you can fit into. We carry a 2 foot 3/4 inch board, a 3 foot 1 1/2 inch board and a 4 foot 1 1/2 inch board. It is a rare treat to not have to use any boards at all and not unheard of to use them all.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
I find an entrenching tool works pretty good for leveling, takes up less space than blocks and boards, and can be used for self defense if necessary.