Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boulder , Colorado
Ladder/Roof Storage on AI?

We are preparing for a multi-month family trip in our Interstate and
worried about lack of storage space.

The conventional wisdom is to get a storage box on the back hitch for
extra storage but we're reluctant to do that because we simply don't
want a longer profile than the 24' we already have with our extended
sprinter.

We would potentially like to store relatively light items, like life
jackets, paddles, camp chairs, and a tarp on top of the RV. We've
considered adding a ladder to the back of the rig to access the roof,
but worried it may not be solid, could impede our access to the back,
and may not really provide good solid access to the roof.

So, here are our questions:
1) Has anyone added a ladder on the back of their AI and does it meet
the purpose of getting you access to the roof without causing
problems, such as accessing the back of your vehicle? (If you are
happy with it, do you mind sharing what you have?)
2) Does anyone have ideas on how to store light on items on the roof
of an AI? One idea is to jury-rig a cargo net, but we're concerned
that the stored items may get too dirty not being protected from the
elements and may not be properly secured to the roof.
3). Is a "Bullet Box" type storage box on the roof a feasible idea for
an Airstream Interstate?
valleyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Valleyview. A few short answers:

(1) A few forum users with pre-owned Interstates inherited rear door-mounted ladders and, while we haven't heard anything negative about them, I myself would not install or use one. The sheet metal of the door was not designed to bear the kind of weights involved and could deform under such loads. I researched this more than a year ago but upon having concluded that we were not going to install such a ladder, I discarded my info sources, so I can't point to anything definitive right this moment.

There are two ladder alternatives:

(a) We use a Telesteps 1400E, which we keep bungee-corded to the rear of the passenger seat where it only consumes about two inches of depth. We find it superior to a fixed ladder because we can move it where we need it.

(b) IMO the best fixed roof ladders made for the Sprinter are by Aluminess (here). They mount to the gutter and anchor under the chassis and thus do not pose the same sheet metal deformation risk.

(2) I don't recall anyone reporting using a cargo net. I'm not sure how you'd attach it securely.

(3) I also don't recall any Interstate owner using a roof box, although they are popular with Sprinter owners who do not have fixed roof air conditioners (e.g., Roaming Robos; photo in this post). I don't know how they could be made to fit well given the roof configuration of the Interstate.

Many owners report hesitancy to use a hitch box, and yet I've never heard anyone complain after-the-fact about *length or size* issues. I've heard them complain mightily about *quality* issues of commercially-available options, yes, absolutely. If you want to avoid the "big blob" effect of a large hitch box on your back end, there may be a minimalist solution that would fit your needs without making you uncomfortable. My husband and I custom-built a hitch carrier that only extends us by 16.5 inches, and yet it opens up a world of cargo opportunities that we just didn't have previously. An additional 16.5 inches is utterly undetectable while driving and has very little impact while parking (although I do decapitate the odd shrub when backing into commercial parking spaces with fringe landscaping).

You have only a few posts to date and I'm not sure how much research you've done on this forum, so here's a re-paste of my Imgur link to our carrier (the sides were later trimmed out with DOT C2 reflective tape; here are some blog posts on its construction). Not only is it a carrier, it serves as a "back porch", rear step, and the open portion (where the dog sits in the photo) is where I plan to lash a new inflatable kayak that we just bought. We refused to accept a large hitch carrier and this turned out to be the perfect compromise for us.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We bought a hitch carrier to use when traveling with the grands, adding a large, expandable and rainproof bag to it....don't recall the brand, but the bag was made to go with the hitch carrier, and worked very well.

I agree with IB's assessment of the ladder, and have also never seen any kind of a rooftop carrier or cargo net on one of ours.

Aesthetically speaking, it is my opinion that better to add a hitch carrier to your rig than try to figure out how to strap a lot of things to the outside.

They are eminently practical, for one thing, and enclose your items rather than risking sorely detracting from the visual appeal of your beautiful rig.

A couple of more feet is really not an issue most places....you will need to find parking lots rather than parking spaces, tho.

If you haven't purchased compact camp chairs, those are a must, in my opinion, and will help a lot in best utilizing your space.

Have a great time!

Maggie