Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
GREAT ESCAPES

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tenafly , New Jersey
L.E.D. Lights (Patio & Rear Back-Up)

My intention is to brighten up the patio light by replacing it with a brighter L.E.D. light (Whelen); in addition to have four LED lights lit when I place the Interstate into Reverse. This will hopefully light up the area infront and behind the rear tires on both the driver and passenger side. Also, I want to have the two of the LED lights located on the curbside (passenger) lit when I turn on the patio light. I may incorporate a switch that allows me to turn on the LED lights on the driver's side as an additional working light for making water connectors and such in the dark.

I haven't installed the LED lights as of today; however I attached the wiring diagram that I intend to use; which uses two relays in order to turn on the LED for different uses. Installation pictures to follow once completed.

I hope the wiring diagram helps?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L E D.pdf (75.2 KB, 69 views)
scott.semone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I cheated. I bought two pairs of battery-operated LED underwater pool lights with wireless remote controls and magnetic bases, and just stick them on the side of the van wherever I need them. Over by the hookups, up next to that wimpy patio light, on the rear bumper, under the hood if I need to add DEF or something……

Can't leave them stuck on while driving; a combination of bumps and slipstream would knock them off, but in a campsite, it's a quick-and-easy solution.

Amazon.com: Good Times GT-100-FPL-2-WR Battery Operated Waterproof Magnetic Lights, 2-Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
LEDs are not all they are cracked up to be.

Now that said I replaced all my exterior marker lights with LEDs. I bought off the shelf marker lights from a truck supply house and made my own parking/brake lights using the Airstream lenses and fitting 64 LED boards behind them. I removed the back up lights at the rear of the trailer and made a third parking/brake light. Those lights when light can be seen for miles. As for the interior I replaced all of the bulbs with various lengths of strips depending on the light level in a given area.

With that I would not suggest LEDs for wide angle lighting such as the patio or more importantly for the back up lights.

For the bake up light I placed white fog light just after the front axle. When backing you are far more interested in where the axles are with respect to the side of the trailer and there is more than enough light to see what is behind also.

All exterior lights are powered off the trailer batteries via relays. This was necessary while towing with a GN Suburban because the wire size GM uses would not support the lighting load on a 34 while I had the original bulbs in place. The headlight switch melted under the load and just got too expensive to keep replacing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 tail lights.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	201274   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup light.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	201275  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The LEDs may work on your trailer, but for those of us with Interstates, LEDs are fine if they are on the house system, but definitely NOT recommended on the Mercedes-Benz (Volkswagen for that matter) vehicle systems.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote