Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Angry Koni shocks for 3500

I read where these really help. Bought from Sprinter Store. They were adjusted for the 3,500. Had them installed yesterday. First wifely impression was they didn't help, in fact the opposite.

Any thoughts?
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What are they supposed to help?

Serious question. I need new shocks for my 2500 TV.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
We installed the Konis and the only regret was that we didn't do it sooner.

Huge improvement in handling in strong winds. Huge improvement in how much we rock side to side and how much we bounce up and down when we go over something at an angle, like a driveway curb or go over a speed bump.

Is it possible yours aren't adjusted properly?
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
I read where these really help. Bought from Sprinter Store. They were adjusted for the 3,500. Had them installed yesterday. First wifely impression was they didn't help, in fact the opposite.

Any thoughts?
There's another long thread on these a few weeks back.
* the shocks help sway and roll, e.g. when going over a curb or bump diagonally
* but they in effect "firm up" the ride, so don't help with making it smoother back there
* someone else weighed in that Koni has brand new FSD shocks that are supposed to also make the ride smoother, less rattling and vibration. Can't remember whether anyone tried them yet
* one final thing: someone reported that you can adjust the Koni's for a "softer" ride and get a little bit of the best of both, less sway, but also less rattling / vibration
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The Sprinter 3500 van that Airstream bought and converted into an Interstate motorhome is basically a cargo van. No matter what you do to it, it will still ride like a cargo van. If you want the van to ride like a Cadillac, you're deluding yourself. Sure it can be done if you work at optimizing it for a soft ride, but then it will rock alarmingly in the slightest breeze while you're camping (especially with the awning out), and be generally uncomfortable anytime except when you're driving.

I have the Koni shocks/struts on mine, and I'm very pleased with the results. If you hit a bump or a pothole you'll still feel it. In fact, the ride is harsher than before in that regard. But there is a lot less sway, mostly noticeable on twisty roads like Arkansas's Scenic Byway 7 and on highway on-ramps and off-ramps where I can take the ramps 5-to-10 mph faster than I could before without feeling like the van is going to tip over.

And when I go over a "mountable" curb like on my apartment complex's driveway that I have to take at an angle so only one corner goes over the curb at a time in order to make the turn, it doesn't feel like all of my overhead lockers are going to empty themselves anymore when the van rocks back and forth, because it rocks a lot less.

There is also a slight but noticeable "lift" to the back end compared to before I installed the Konis. Now when I park on a level paved campsite, I need a leveling block under each front tire to get my floor level. Small price to pay, in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Any thoughts?
For about $10K, you can get the an air ride suspension which has been reported to improve the ride a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

There is also a slight but noticeable "lift" to the back end compared to before I installed the Konis. Now when I park on a level paved campsite, I need a leveling block under each front tire to get my floor level. Small price to pay, in my opinion.
Not sure how a shock can increase ride height unless they have a really, really high pressure gas in them.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I had the Kini FSD shocks and the Sumo springs installed at the same time. Big difference in the handling and ride. The rear end is less affected by big bumps and there is way less dive under braking. Side to side motions are also more controlled. High side winds are still an issue but I feel that would be normal for something this tall with slab sides.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks guys, I understand a little better what I should expect. BTW the Sprinter Store confirmed that they were adjusted for the 3500.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I had the Kini FSD shocks and the Sumo springs installed at the same time. Big difference in the handling and ride. The rear end is less affected by big bumps and there is way less dive under braking. Side to side motions are also more controlled. High side winds are still an issue but I feel that would be normal for something this tall with slab sides.
Do the FSD's make the ride "smoother" in back? Can't quite tell from the descriptors you've provided. Also, are they adjustable? (and if so, did you make any adjustments?)

THANKS ...I'm considering these.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Remember from the other thread, at least some of us were talking about a scenario in which we had replaced the shocks AND the sway bar. So that's something to think about if the goal is improved high-speed stability.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Short of air bags, not sure you can improve ride in back. Quickest reminder the MB us. A cargo van is to ride in back down an Illinois 2 lane!

I did shocks, sway bar and leaf in back. Fixed exit curb rocking & highway baffling. But rear occupants bounce around.

Best ride we had was when towing close to 3500# and running a bit tongue heavy - wasn't Cadillac smooth but was noticeably better.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks guys, I understand a little better what I should expect. BTW the Sprinter Store confirmed that they were adjusted for the 3500.
I put the same shocks on mine along with overload springs and sway bar. I also had the same experience that the ride was still very stiff. I went back to the installer and had the shocks readjusted to the softest setting. I believe it is a noticeably softer ride without sacrificing handling.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I own an SOB 3500 MB and installed the Sumo Springs front and rear with excellent results. Parts and labor a hair over $500. Noticeable difference going over off camber driveways and in windy conditions.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #14
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Who has the best pricing on rear Koni's for newer 3500's
Thanks,
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Bought mine at sprinterstore.com
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
What is typical cost to install rear Koni's?
Thanks
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Framingham , Massachusetts
1 hour labor $75
gambita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
What is typical cost to install rear Koni's?
Thanks
I had Koni shocks installed by Upscale in 2014. The installation for the rear shocks was $150. The front installation was $350.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
We went a different way- Installed HD Bilsteins front and rear. (No, they are not adjustable). Very much enjoy the difference in handling and ride quality. Additionally no more front-end porpoising on uneven roads.

Additionally, replaced the standard rear sway bar with a Hellwig rear sway bar.

Drove today through some very windy and intense cross winds roads. Yes, the camper rocked but it felt planted.
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
... Yes, the camper rocked but it felt planted.
"I still have to babysit it, but I no longer have to fight it," is how I described the effect of new Koni shocks and sway bar to my husband.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote