Old 04-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
BurntAsphalt- The Helwig rear sway will go in. You just need to find the shop that understands what needs to be done. The shop I went to (our rig is a 2016) had to lower the propane tank, but got it in.

Curious- what tire pressures and what tires are on your Interstate? Is it a dual rear wheel or single?

Haasman

Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
We opted to go with the Bilsteins front and rear. Owning a BMW, Mercedes and Mini Cooper service and repair shop, I have used Bilsteins for 35+ years with very good success. Konis, in years past, had issues. They have overcome those issues today.
I also wanted to make a side by side comparison to the Konis. I had this opportunity, as our shop installed SprinterBob's shocks and sway bar. 2 variables to the comparison equation are that SprinterBob has an EXT vs our regular length. Also SprinterBob had us install the rear sway bar that he also supplied from the Sprinter store. I left the stock sway bar on our coach. Months after initially purchasing the vehicles, each vehicle had been aligned to correct the lack of realignment after Airstream builds-in the Sprinter chassis. Both were realigned after the shock/sway bar replacement also.
- Impressions: Both vehicles have much better sway control than stock. I believe the Konis had a slight advantage. This MAY have been effected by the fact that vehicle had new rear sway bar, it is hard to say. Going straight down a less than smooth highway, I felt the Bilsteins had a better planted feeling. Under heavy braking in a straight-line, both shock combos controlled the nose-down tendencies over the stock shocks. Unlike Protag, I did not take it to Arkansas' mountain roads for a comparison. Please reference his review for that input. With either vehicle, the ride in the rear of the coach was still that of a 1ton truck. Neither shock/sway bar combo changed that too much. If anyone had ever expected a 1ton Sprinter to ride any different than a delivery truck at the rear, it was a misconception/false expectation. I have not made a parts price comparison but feel that the improvement over the stock units is worth either product.
Road Jager

Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
BurntAsphalt- The Helwig rear sway will go in. You just need to find the shop that understands what needs to be done. The shop I went to (our rig is a 2016) had to lower the propane tank, but got it in.

Curious- what tire pressures and what tires are on your Interstate? Is it a dual rear wheel or single?

Haasman
Hassman, We have a 2011 3500 with duals. Tires are Michelin XPS Ribs on front and Michelin LTX Defenders on the rears. Our local shop was intimidated by moving anything under the bus so we ended up getting the Roadmaster sway bar instead. We run about 58 PSI in both the front and rear. As Road Jager stated, the rear ride is still rough with the Konis and bigger sway bar but the wind handling is definitely improved. Did you get the air suspension in your 2016?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
No, the air suspension was not even offered-discussed when we purchased our Interstate.

We run the recommended pressure +1 cold inflation. The rig came with Continentals. Only about 3,000 on the camper. So far they seem fine. Our previous camper was a 2006 Pleasure Way that I put Michelin LTX Defenders on. Really like those tires.

Depending on mileage, you may want to consider replace the existing sway bar bushings if they haven't already be replace. Easy way to firm things up.

Haasman