3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Bought mine at sprinterstore.com

Old 11-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
What is typical cost to install rear Koni's?
Thanks

Old 11-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Framingham , Massachusetts
1 hour labor $75
Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
What is typical cost to install rear Koni's?
Thanks
I had Koni shocks installed by Upscale in 2014. The installation for the rear shocks was $150. The front installation was $350.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
We went a different way- Installed HD Bilsteins front and rear. (No, they are not adjustable). Very much enjoy the difference in handling and ride quality. Additionally no more front-end porpoising on uneven roads.

Additionally, replaced the standard rear sway bar with a Hellwig rear sway bar.

Drove today through some very windy and intense cross winds roads. Yes, the camper rocked but it felt planted.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
... Yes, the camper rocked but it felt planted.
"I still have to babysit it, but I no longer have to fight it," is how I described the effect of new Koni shocks and sway bar to my husband.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I've been stalking this forum for quite awhile and decided it was time to post. All of you multi rivet members have been a huge help to me in learning the idiosyncrasies of our 2011 Interstate that we bought a few months ago. I've been obsessed with improving handling in windy conditions ever since. Even in moderate winds of 15-20 mph, a wind gust will cause the Bus to lurch so badly that the "ESP Visit Workshop" message appears. It clears after shutting down the engine and restarting. I installed front and rear SumoSprings and that helped reduce body roll but no help with the wind. Next I had a local shop install Koni Reds up front (100% dampened) and Koni FSDs in the rear. That dramatically improved the handling overall and significantly improved the wind buffeting issue. (I don't sit in the back so I can't comment on the rough rear ride issue.) I had also asked the shop to install a Hellwig anti-sway bar that I had ordered online but they said there was no way it would fit with the generator so close to the differential. I still think there are additional improvements to be gained in handling with a better sway bar. The Roadmaster bar may fit since it uses the existing mounts. Down the road I'd like to get the Michelins to see if those tires make a difference as well.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
These posts have been terrific. Thanks.

After reading these I remembered I had a heavy pickup camper a few years ago. Went to local spring shop and they put in air bag suspension. I think on the rear only. They made a huge difference. Is this worth checking out?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I have no experience with the full airbag suspension upgrade but several folks have posted (and have spent $10K+ to put them in) that it solves both the rough lounge ride and improves crosswind handling. Short of that, when I spoke to Sprinter Store they recommended Boss airbag load assist kit, front and rear Koni Reds, and beefed up sway bar. All of that would get you into the $4-5K range depending on installation costs.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
By all means put the anti-sway bar in the rear. Get one that fits at "the SPRINTER STORE" in Portland Oregon area. I have all the items you mentioned, including Michelins and it drives and handles almost like my sports cars. AEW
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
By all means put the anti-sway bar in the rear. Get one that fits at "the SPRINTER STORE" in Portland Oregon area. I have all the items you mentioned, including Michelins and it drives and handles almost like my sports cars. AEW
If it's at all possible to install, I agree. Especially for solo travel which lacks the benefits of navigational assist and driving relief, it falls into the category of "simply cannot live without".

Was it this thread or another where I reported that I lost one of the new Koni shocks (infant mortality) on a trip and had to limp home almost 200 miles from San Antonio? I literally almost did not make it, it was so demanding and stressful. Ever since then, I've been worried about losing another (the saw bar itself helped enormously, but it must work in concert). Two weeks ago, I drove solo another 200 miles across east and southeast Texas in a line of violent thunderstorms that included tornadic cells, probably our worst squall line of the year. Plus there were unannounced road closures that sent me into unfamiliar areas. I said to my husband, "Thank God that the shocks held, because there is no way that I could have handled broken shock AND tornadic thunderstorm AND road closures. Two out of three I could manage, but never three. I simply could not drive if that happened."
Old 11-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Quote:
asked the shop to install a Hellwig anti-sway bar that I had ordered online but they said there was no way it would fit with the generator so close to the differential.
I attempted to install the rear Hellwig anti-sway sway bar myself but I didn't have enough blocks to raise the rear end for clearance. instead had a local shop do it. The generator is something to work around, but it is not that hard to do.

I did notice an improvement with the rear Hellwig over the stock sway bar. Subtle but an improvement.

Now I am searching for a front bar as the new rear bar has added a little bit of understeer/push (which isn't always a bad thing). Takes a bit more of turn-in.

Will post with updates as they develop.

Haasman
Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
Now I am searching for a front bar as the new rear bar has added a little bit of understeer/push (which isn't always a bad thing). Takes a bit more of turn-in.

Haasman
Usually adding or increasing the size/strength of a rear bar reduces understeer or even can go to an oversteer condition. At least that's the way it works on cars. Maybe different on a five ton truck.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
After driving 15 hours this weekend, I'm liking the Konis even more for the handling up in the drivers seat. Still not going to give up on installing the sway bar. I did take the opportunity to ask one of my passengers to ride in the lounge while we were driving down an older concrete highway with uneven bridge/overpass approaches. As has been stated in numerous posts, she was launched airborne repeatedly (to the others amusement). I tell my friends that our Airstream Interstate seats four comfortably and four uncomfortably.