Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Milton , Florida
Keurig Coffee Maker

Has anyone tried using the Keurig B130 DeskPro coffee maker on their 750w inverter?

The B130 is rated at 700w.

I plan on doing alot of boondocking and don't like the thought of having to use the generator to brew a cup of coffee.

Thanks
Glenn
gastockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Good question! I will be carrying a Keurig in my AS.
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Get a stainless French Press and use your propane stove. Makes better coffe than the Keurig.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Get a stainless French Press and use your propane stove. Makes better coffe than the Keurig.
Not to mention it's much much less expensive and a lot more friendly to the environment!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We just bought an old percolator with the glass top at Goodwill and use that. Pretty good and easy to use and clean.

Dan
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use a Keurig and French press at home. Too much trouble to deal with the Keurig in the trailer. I use a French press for camping. I have a plastic bodied press so don't have to worry about it breaking.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF
I use a Keurig and French press at home. Too much trouble to deal with the Keurig in the trailer. I use a French press for camping. I have a plastic bodied press so don't have to worry about it breaking.
Us too. I like tea and my wife coffee. I boil water in a kettle so we both get what we want.

But I do love the smell of coffee. I bought a bean roaster and roast Beans for my wife, at home and before each trip. Man I love the smell of fresh coffee. U It also covers the smell of four kids in the car, as the smell is strong for a good 5-8 days.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
What hasn't been said here is that any resistance appliance (coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer) run through an inverter will chew into batteries' amp hour capacity pretty fast. And sadly, TVs to... Note that best lead-acid battery lifetime and reasonable amp-hour capacity during that life will occur if you avoid discharging below 45-50%. That's what we hear often enough. I don't have any specific reference on that. Experts?

Airstream has been installing Interstate SRM-24s in trailers. What do you have? Here is Interstate's data on them - Interstate Batteries.

Here is a fair read on amp-hour capacity. The brief Keurig cycle may work to your advantage but I don't think I'd move away from my French press if I was doing a lot of boondocking. And no, rooftop solar wouldn't provide much relief in substantially recharging a lot of amp-hours every day -- not that there is a lot of open surface on top of any Airstream.

Also note the following section in the last link that discusses measuring voltage to determine state of discharge. Measuring individual battery voltage works best if I disconnect the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	State of charge.png
Views:	466
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	164437

You'll learn a lot more as you experience your actual boondock/plug-in ratio. Burning lights is a no-low when we're boondocking. We use LED lanterns and they last forever.

[on edit: forgot to throw this link in ... Keurig Coffee Makers ]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Bodum makes several sizes of stainless-steel French presses. They are insulated; and if pre-heated, will keep your second servings relatively warm for about 30-45 minutes. Polished to a bright chrome finish, they compliment most Airstream interiors; however, these are a little pricey.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Milton , Florida
Thanks everyone for your responses.

CanoeStream, your post provided more of the kind of info I was looking for.

I've got a Bodum French press. I'm not that impressed with it-but may have to use it when boondocking.

Thanks again for all your responses.
Glenn
gastockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Not to mention it's much much less expensive and a lot more friendly to the environment!
We love our Keurig. It makes great coffee and tea. We use a K-cup reusable filter. We use way less coffee and don't pour out unused coffee in the pot. It is much cheaper then using the store brought k-cups.

Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello ... We boondocked for 3 months last winter with our solar panels 350 watts and had no problem with our Keurig mini plus. Love it. Even use the breadmaker.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

Us too. I like tea and my wife coffee. I boil water in a kettle so we both get what we want.

But I do love the smell of coffee. I bought a bean roaster and roast Beans for my wife, at home and before each trip. Man I love the smell of fresh coffee. U It also covers the smell of four kids in the car, as the smell is strong for a good 5-8 days.
The kids smell strong for 5-8 days!? Wow! ;-D

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

Yeah, that is pretty funny, Purman. What sort of [home] bean roaster and would you recommend it to others? I'm tired of my drip maker, yet am resisting the Keurig at present (not that I really want to hijack thread, just learn the name of a quality piece of cookware or appliance) as I don't really want another electrical appliance aboard the TT.

Thanks
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am a coffee lover. I haven't boon docked yet but I have equipped the stream with a Bodum classic french press and used it several times during my shakedown camping experience this spring. The electric burr grinder is necessary (to me). It makes good coffee BUT last week there was a sale on uh hum, espresso machines; and one jumped out at me. Yes it uses power but its quick! Probably not a boon dock item at 900 watts but hey, that is what generators are for! I will say that after spending the week measuring the cabinets and talking to Whole Latte and Seattle Coffee, there are a few that potentially fit in our campers if you want fresh espresso coffee products not from a pod. The Gaggia Classic semi auto is small but has an aluminum boiler (easier to corrode - HA!) and the Saeco Via Venezia with a stainless boiler. There are also two new models by both companies that are also cheaper but they lack some elements like a brass portafilter or metal body - the Gaggia Espresso or Saeco Poemia. The Saecos aren't fussy about the grind. They last a long time. I have owned one for 12 years that was used in a restaurant for three years before that but unfortunately it is too big for the stream so a small new one was fitting.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Is just me or does French Press just release too much acidic oil in the coffee? I love the concept but every cup I've ever had from a French Press was nothing to write home about... maybe I was doing something wrong.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Oh boy, now all of these posts have got me thinkin'... what to do about my mornin' cup of joe...
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dana/Olga: The secret to good French Press coffee is to use fresh beans just short of a dark roast with a medium grind. The fresher the better. Also do not use rolling boiling water, that is what brings out the acids that you find objectionable. Grounds go in, add water, stir and let sit for 3 or 4 minutes (too taste) and press. Enjoy!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Dana/Olga: The secret to good French Press coffee is to use fresh beans just short of a dark roast with a medium grind. The fresher the better. Also do not use rolling boiling water, that is what brings out the acids that you find objectionable. Grounds go in, add water, stir and let sit for 3 or 4 minutes (too taste) and press. Enjoy!
Thanks.. may have to give it another try. We have a Cuisinart coffee maker at home that makes almost as good coffee as our Bunn used to. but i got tired of the Bunn water tank leaking after a few years.

right now we are using a little 5 cup coffee maker in the AS but have found that it makes Dunkin Dark Roast reasonably well.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Is just me or does French Press just release too much acidic oil in the coffee? I love the concept but every cup I've ever had from a French Press was nothing to write home about... maybe I was doing something wrong.
As others have already posted, the grind and water are important. I would comment that the grind and coffee type is most important. French press coffee is better with a coarse grind that is not too oily. Lavazza Super Crema is a great coffee for french press.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote