Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
AeroPress supposedly makes close to a top rated cup of coffee -- and that's a problem for some -- it makes coffee a cup at a time. But I follow the AeroPress recommendation to use approx 180° water and I've seen more consistent results from my French press. I bring a teapot to a boil and then let it set 3-4 minutes -- close enough for me. That and a coarse grind doesn't give me an oily cup at all.

Medical press releases annoy me but I choose to believe the one I heard that coffee oils may actually be healthful. That suggestion and $5 will get you a latte at FourBucks.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Yeah, that is pretty funny, Purman. What sort of [home] bean roaster and would you recommend it to others? I'm tired of my drip maker, yet am resisting the Keurig at present (not that I really want to hijack thread, just learn the name of a quality piece of cookware or appliance) as I don't really want another electrical appliance aboard the TT.

Thanks
Coffee smell still strong been 6 days in the car as my wife flew home sunday and I don't drink coffee. Kids got a bath, so no smell from them

I use this roaster: Nesco pro Nesco Pro 800-watt Coffee Bean Roaster | Overstock.com

I want this roaster: New Hottop Digital Home Coffee Roaster KN-8828B-2-K on eBay!

The Nesco works great and does a good job of dark and light roast, or in between. But it only does a 1/3 of a pound at a time..

The hottop will do 1/2 pound there are others also. You can't beat fresh roasted beans. Beans loose flavor after a week of being roasted.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Is just me or does French Press just release too much acidic oil in the coffee? I love the concept but every cup I've ever had from a French Press was nothing to write home about... maybe I was doing something wrong.
Maybe you have twisted taste buds?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
cup of hot water, stove or microwave. spoon of instant. sometimes we use the perc. from goodwill. Use a Kuerig in the office. Like the instant just as well.
cheap coffee, cheap wine with a great view and a trout stream suits me fine. I splurge on the fly rods and the flies.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
cup of hot water, stove or microwave. spoon of instant. sometimes we use the perc. from goodwill. Like the instant just as well.
cheap coffee, cheap wine with a great view and a trout stream suits me fine. I splurge on the fly rods and the flies.
I'm with Bill. Even take it to the point of throwing the coffee and a few eggshells in the pot and drinking with my teeth close together
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis

I'm with Bill. Even take it to the point of throwing the coffee and a few eggshells in the pot and drinking with my teeth close together
That's funny. Egg shells?
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
The old timers when boiling coffee would always throw in egg shells as it is supposed to help settle the grounds to the bottom. Not sure why.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
Eggshells are alkaline, coffee is acidic. Alkaline neutralizes acid. Two eggshells per pot is about right; more is a waste, less won't do the job. We didn't need eggshells where I grew up in southwest Oklahoma. The water already had enough dissolved calcium (which is alkaline) that we got the same effect with plain water.

Caveat: Use fresh, raw egg shells, rinsed clean and crushed into moderately-sized flakes (not crushed to powder). Do not use the shells from boiled eggs. Eggshells from boiled eggs contain sulfur compounds which can flavor the coffee.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Milton , Florida
Ok, I appreciate that most of you who have responded have your favorite ways to brew coffee - French Press, precolator, instant, egg shells etc. However, that was not the question I was asking. More precisely, I wanted to know if using a 700w coffee maker (Keurig B130) could be used on the 750w Interstate inverter without tripping a breaker.

I can report here that yes, for those who have an Interstate with a 750w inverter or anyone else with a similar setup, that it is possible to use a Keurig B130 commercial coffee maker on their inverter safely. This eliminates the need to fire up the generator just to brew a cup of coffee.

It took 3 minutes to brew the coffee. 700w / 110v = 6.36A x 0.05h = 0.32Ah total current draw to brew one cup of coffee.

So, no worries drawing the battery down while bondocking.
gastockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Even allowing for the conversion loss (inverters are not 100% efficient) that's not too much drawdown on the house batts. Thanks for the information!
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
2006 22' Interstate
Babylon , New York
Melitta manual coffee maker

I have pondered on the coffee making methods mentioned in this topic. I was considering a 4 cup mini electric coffee maker. I got to thinking that we have a Melitta manual coffee maker in the attic which may work out better with no electric draw. It has an upper chamber where you place coffee in a paper filter and pour boiling water over it.
jtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtripp View Post
I have pondered on the coffee making methods mentioned in this topic. I was considering a 4 cup mini electric coffee maker. I got to thinking that we have a Melitta manual coffee maker in the attic which may work out better with no electric draw. It has an upper chamber where you place coffee in a paper filter and pour boiling water over it.
If you aren't a fan of coffee from a French press, The Melitta filter will probably give you the best coffee over any other method (in my opinion). If it takes the larger filter, rather than the small single serve sized one, you could get yourself an insulated carafe to make let the coffee drip into so that you'll have hot coffee beyond just a single cup. Another nice option is the chemex coffee maker, but you'd need to pack it carefully.

Chemex | Chemex® Coffeemakers & Filters
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote