Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Kenwood radio not covered under warranty

We purchased a 2013 Interstate new and have about 5 months left on the 3 year warranty. Barely 12k miles so plenty left there as well. Relatively little need for warranty over this time, but the Kenwood head unit video panel is failing (washes out to white after 20 minutes of usage).

Surprisingly, RBM Mercedes dealer in Atlanta an authorized repair facility, is being told from Airstream that unit isn't covered under the coach warranty. It obviously won't be covered by the Sprinter warranty since it is an aftermarket radio and not original equipment.

Does this sound right? I've never seen an exceptions list to the three year warranty but the dealer is unyielding that Airstream said tough luck on replacement. At best I expected a refurb unit that would die again in six months but to outright not cover the unit surprises me. Airstream covered the Pyle rear monitor screen when that went out?

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is common for Sprinter and Airstream to deny warranty on anything electrical. Each taking the position that the other manufacture installed the item in question. I have seen an owner driven to tears over a directional signal issue. Sprinter clearly installed the directional switch and Airstream clearly installed the tail lights. Both claimed the other was a fault.

While the Kenwood warranty is most likely out of date I would contact their Customer Service looking for a solution via a repair or rebuilt unit.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
In general, Airstream warranties fall back on the warranties of the components they install. My Kenwood DNX890HD has a 2 year warranty. You may be out of luck, but it's worth contacting Kenwood support.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Sprinter clearly installed the directional switch and Airstream clearly installed the tail lights.
My taillites look just like the standard Sprinter ones. What year did he have and what was different about the Airstream ones?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Kenwood would by warrantied by Kenwood with most likely a 2 year warranty-
Therefore it is most likely out of warranty and will be an out-of-pocket expense to have it repaired or replaced.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
I have had the recent experience, and Kenwood is so bad, that even though a second brand new unit was replaced, and less than two years on the second one, it is out of warranty. I'm done with Kenwood, so looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I'm done with Kenwood, so looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions.
Any auto sound dealer should carry several competing models so you can compare in person. In my part of the world Mobile One is my go-to for stuff like that, but that's partly because they're also an authorized Viper alarm system installer. I can't guarantee that Mobile One has the best prices, so after doing an in-person comparison go e-shopping to find the best price on the model you select.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
... I'm done with Kenwood, so looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions. ....

Advanced RV installs a unit from Pioneer. There are lots of options. Check this list at Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-orlIbjh...ar_stereo.html

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Alpine-
Sony-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-14-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
Thank you for the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Kenwood system also down here

Have 2012 Airstream. 50k miles. Kenwood won't power up this morning. This is second time this has happened. About 18 months ago same thing. Had dealer/service troubleshoot. There is a fuse inside the Kenwood device which was replaced and worked briefly. But, real issue was a 'loose" connection to the fuse which was fixed and lasted this long. This time I cannot open the display screen to get behind the device to look at fuse. The display screen folds down to insert an SD card. When it does you can access the back panel to remove and look. I cannot do this today because it is totally shut down. I have a call in the Airstream tech to see what they say to troubleshoot. Will likely replace the whole device with another aftermaket device. Quite a bummer as am on a trip. But, have other devices for GPS to navigate. Will let you all know anything further from Airstream or replacement. Any replacement device info is welcome.
gkrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrinn View Post
Have 2012 Airstream. 50k miles. Kenwood won't power up this morning. This is second time this has happened. About 18 months ago same thing. Had dealer/service troubleshoot. There is a fuse inside the Kenwood device which was replaced and worked briefly. But, real issue was a 'loose" connection to the fuse which was fixed and lasted this long. This time I cannot open the display screen to get behind the device to look at fuse. The display screen folds down to insert an SD card. When it does you can access the back panel to remove and look. I cannot do this today because it is totally shut down. I have a call in the Airstream tech to see what they say to troubleshoot. Will likely replace the whole device with another aftermaket device. Quite a bummer as am on a trip. But, have other devices for GPS to navigate. Will let you all know anything further from Airstream or replacement. Any replacement device info is welcome.
Unless you are getting this done on Airstream warranty you don't have to take it to a dealer for repair. Any shop that installs auto radios can fix this for you. Our local Best Buy has a shop that does this type of work. Worth checking it out.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I looked up your service manual online. According to it, there is a fuse for the radio relay.

CIRCUIT 8, 10 AMP, GRAY
RADIO POWER RELAY
ROPE LIGHTS
BATTERY SEPARATOR

If your rope lights above the cabinets are not working as well, then this fuse might be the problem. It also lists a fuse behind the radio.

5. Dash radio: 10 amp fuse on back of radio

It isn't very difficult to remove the radio. See my thread below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...rs-126668.html

Also, if it was me, I would want to know why I was having recurring blown fuse issues.

Hope this helps.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Additional information on Kenwood device in my 2012. Spoke at length with a technician here in Florida. Recommended by Mercedes dealer. He sells the Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. He had problem with 2012, 2013 Kenwood model for his customers because of the slowness of GPS, freezing up of GPS and a couple other minor tech issues. He said he spoke to Kenwood at a Las Vegas dealer conference in 2013. Kenwood reps admitted the technical problems they had for those two years and said they knew of them and fixed them. He still installs Kenwood devices today. That said, I am scheduled to install a Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX for same device cost as Crutchfield. Install will be pretty straightforward with most parts already installed. The steering control will also adapt to the new install. I consider this an upgrade and worth the investment.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Keep us posted on this unit please. I am very interested in getting Apple Carplay functionality and would even consider replacing my new stock Kenwood unit.
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Same here, given I have to replace mine anyway I'm also going the CarPlay route. I had my eye on the Alpine, but the steering controls were a variable. If for certain the Pioneer works with steering controls I will just go with that.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Alpine will work with steering wheel controls, but with an add-on adapter.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
I replaced the Kenwood Navigation system with a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. I didn’t do a lot of research, but went on the basis of some reviews. One of the downsides of the Pioneer product is that it doesn’t have updated maps for free, however, one of the major upsides is that all the features of the AVIC-8100NEX actually work! I figure, that roads don’t change much, and I have a navigator in another car that has never been upgraded (10+ years) and it still works just fine. This seems to be a very nice system. It has a large 7" screen. The Apple Car Play is great, and worked immediately. You can plug in the statistics of your vehicle, such as heights and length, and I suspect it will warn you if you have a low bridge issue, etc. The screen is good, it works just like a touch screen to zoom in and out. One thing I learned while getting the system wired up is that it appears these systems when installed into an RV with coach batteries are constantly running even if the unit is turned off when the coach batteries are on. This was a little disconcerting, so the installer inserted a $20 toggle switch in the glove compartment to fully turn off the system while using the coach batteries. I’m not sure what the electrical draw is, but it was important to me to minimize battery drain especially when dry camping. I’ve attached a photo.

Somewhere at Airstream there is a product manager that should be fired. Not only is the Kenwood a piece of junk, but Airstream and/or Kenwood went out of their way to customize the steering column controls and got rid of the menu to configure it when replacing the navigation system. You have to replace the black steering control black box. Arguably this system should be under the Airstream warranty since they have customized it for Airstream. This took a little while for my installer to figure out. From the steering column I can control phone calls, use volume controls, but toggling through the features of the navigator on the phone button, it no longer does. I don't consider this an issue, since I always thought this was annoying. Just easier to go to the Pioneer system screen. Some of you will say,
well it is an after market product...well I used to work in the manufacturing business and if a company modifies a stock product, then you own the warranty. Shame on Airstream. The great installer I used is Gary (owner) at Hurley’s Auto Audio in Mclean, VA (703) 790-8744. As an aside, they do some cutting edge video/audio/infrared motion detecting alarm/recording installs. I’m considering an infrared night vision camera that will directly hook into the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	256399  
Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Had Pioneer 7100NEX installed today by Sound Depot and Performance of Gainesville, FL. Recommended by Mercedes dealer in Gainesville. Chris Loynes, 352-374-7700 managed the install with his technicians. My A/S is a 2012. I chose the 7100 as I did not need to pay for some of the 8100 features I would not be using. The install takes several hours. Chris has installed dozens of the Pioneer on RV's as a replacement including A/S. If installer hasn't replaced in RV or A/S perhaps find an installer with experience.
Here are the highlights.

He was able to keep the old harness, antenna, navigation antenna, and microphone.

Replaced old SiriusXM controller as not compatible. I kept old one as he said it is worth $200-$300 to buyers who need this controller model for their older audio device. The controller is no longer made and there is demand to sell on line. New controller cost me $70. I plan to sell old one online. And, since I did not need the new antenna, I can sell with controller for extra $$.

The old steering wheel controller needed to be replaced as the old was Kenwood specific only. New controller is universal. Cost was $99. If controller had been universal, 15 minutes of reprogramming only needed.

Installed a USB port into the passenger side dash panel below the air vent. This is for CarPlay and acts as a charger. Put an additional USB cable/port in the glove compartment as it comes with the Pioneer.

Chris has device on/off same as Kenwood worked. Cabin battery when on and ignition switch when not on. Manual off/on when on cabin battery.

The Pioneer is faster start up and user friendly to learn. The 7100 does not have a hand remote device as some others. Ok with me. The updates for maps in the future can be bot online, download to a flash drive and upload to the device via the USB port in the dash. You can always use CarPlay or Android Auto if you want the latest info. For me, having a GPS device in the dash is more reliable than using your phone in the event it has a weak or no signal area.

My experience was very positive for this upgrade on my 2012 because the store and technicians were very experienced, great on communicating with me on all details. The features of this Pioneer model meets all my preferences, while it may be different for others.

I told Chris I would be writing up my experience. He said if anyone has questions of the device or install to give his phone number (see above).
Old 01-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Quote:
I replaced the Kenwood Navigation system with a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX... The Apple Car Play is great, and worked immediately. You can plug in the statistics of your vehicle, such as heights and length, and I suspect it will warn you if you have a low bridge issue, etc.
I had a Kenwood in my car. It died after a couple of years and like a fool, I bought another Kenwood which also died after a couple of years. I replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX that actually works! I'm still learning how to use it. You mentioned that you can enter in the statistics of your vehicle. Where is that feature? Is it in the setup for CarPlay or in Pioneer's navigation setup?
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote