Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Keep us posted on this unit please. I am very interested in getting Apple Carplay functionality and would even consider replacing my new stock Kenwood unit.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Same here, given I have to replace mine anyway I'm also going the CarPlay route. I had my eye on the Alpine, but the steering controls were a variable. If for certain the Pioneer works with steering controls I will just go with that.

Brian

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Alpine will work with steering wheel controls, but with an add-on adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I replaced the Kenwood Navigation system with a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. I didnít do a lot of research, but went on the basis of some reviews. One of the downsides of the Pioneer product is that it doesnít have updated maps for free, however, one of the major upsides is that all the features of the AVIC-8100NEX actually work! I figure, that roads donít change much, and I have a navigator in another car that has never been upgraded (10+ years) and it still works just fine. This seems to be a very nice system. It has a large 7" screen. The Apple Car Play is great, and worked immediately. You can plug in the statistics of your vehicle, such as heights and length, and I suspect it will warn you if you have a low bridge issue, etc. The screen is good, it works just like a touch screen to zoom in and out. One thing I learned while getting the system wired up is that it appears these systems when installed into an RV with coach batteries are constantly running even if the unit is turned off when the coach batteries are on. This was a little disconcerting, so the installer inserted a $20 toggle switch in the glove compartment to fully turn off the system while using the coach batteries. Iím not sure what the electrical draw is, but it was important to me to minimize battery drain especially when dry camping. Iíve attached a photo.

Somewhere at Airstream there is a product manager that should be fired. Not only is the Kenwood a piece of junk, but Airstream and/or Kenwood went out of their way to customize the steering column controls and got rid of the menu to configure it when replacing the navigation system. You have to replace the black steering control black box. Arguably this system should be under the Airstream warranty since they have customized it for Airstream. This took a little while for my installer to figure out. From the steering column I can control phone calls, use volume controls, but toggling through the features of the navigator on the phone button, it no longer does. I don't consider this an issue, since I always thought this was annoying. Just easier to go to the Pioneer system screen. Some of you will say,
well it is an after market product...well I used to work in the manufacturing business and if a company modifies a stock product, then you own the warranty. Shame on Airstream. The great installer I used is Gary (owner) at Hurleyís Auto Audio in Mclean, VA (703) 790-8744. As an aside, they do some cutting edge video/audio/infrared motion detecting alarm/recording installs. Iím considering an infrared night vision camera that will directly hook into the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	256399  
Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Had Pioneer 7100NEX installed today by Sound Depot and Performance of Gainesville, FL. Recommended by Mercedes dealer in Gainesville. Chris Loynes, 352-374-7700 managed the install with his technicians. My A/S is a 2012. I chose the 7100 as I did not need to pay for some of the 8100 features I would not be using. The install takes several hours. Chris has installed dozens of the Pioneer on RV's as a replacement including A/S. If installer hasn't replaced in RV or A/S perhaps find an installer with experience.
Here are the highlights.

He was able to keep the old harness, antenna, navigation antenna, and microphone.

Replaced old SiriusXM controller as not compatible. I kept old one as he said it is worth $200-$300 to buyers who need this controller model for their older audio device. The controller is no longer made and there is demand to sell on line. New controller cost me $70. I plan to sell old one online. And, since I did not need the new antenna, I can sell with controller for extra $$.

The old steering wheel controller needed to be replaced as the old was Kenwood specific only. New controller is universal. Cost was $99. If controller had been universal, 15 minutes of reprogramming only needed.

Installed a USB port into the passenger side dash panel below the air vent. This is for CarPlay and acts as a charger. Put an additional USB cable/port in the glove compartment as it comes with the Pioneer.

Chris has device on/off same as Kenwood worked. Cabin battery when on and ignition switch when not on. Manual off/on when on cabin battery.

The Pioneer is faster start up and user friendly to learn. The 7100 does not have a hand remote device as some others. Ok with me. The updates for maps in the future can be bot online, download to a flash drive and upload to the device via the USB port in the dash. You can always use CarPlay or Android Auto if you want the latest info. For me, having a GPS device in the dash is more reliable than using your phone in the event it has a weak or no signal area.

My experience was very positive for this upgrade on my 2012 because the store and technicians were very experienced, great on communicating with me on all details. The features of this Pioneer model meets all my preferences, while it may be different for others.

I told Chris I would be writing up my experience. He said if anyone has questions of the device or install to give his phone number (see above).
Old 01-29-2016, 01:58 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I replaced the Kenwood Navigation system with a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX... The Apple Car Play is great, and worked immediately. You can plug in the statistics of your vehicle, such as heights and length, and I suspect it will warn you if you have a low bridge issue, etc.
I had a Kenwood in my car. It died after a couple of years and like a fool, I bought another Kenwood which also died after a couple of years. I replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX that actually works! I'm still learning how to use it. You mentioned that you can enter in the statistics of your vehicle. Where is that feature? Is it in the setup for CarPlay or in Pioneer's navigation setup?
Old 01-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had a Kenwood in a Ford Taurus.
Just didn't like it.
Let it go with the car when I sold it.
Never liked the car, either.
I have a friend who loves her Kenwood double din in her Tundra.
I'm an Alpine man.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
The vehicle information is in the setup menu on my 8100. On the map screen, on lower right, I touch the menu screen, scroll right to settings, then go to route preferences
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1454085426.592306.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  94.6 KB
. I hope this helps. Possibly the 8100 has a newer version of software. I'm still exploring these features.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
You will find selecting "truck" as your vehicle and put in data, your speed limit adjusts to truck limits on the highway. I have this feature but won't use it because it isn't helpful for a A/S. I know it's height and the rest of the needed info settings required are not applicable because the A/S is not prohibited to weight or length on the road. The only roads I am aware of that does not have clearance posted is in CT. If you are in a city like Chicago, there may be city clearances that could be to low, but not too likely. I leave the setting as "car". If you specify "truck" you will be asked each time you nav a new route if your truck data is correct. Very helpful if you are driving a semi, otherwise not.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Thanks for all of the info, everyone! I came here to learn about Airstream but have found out lots more!

A tip: If you have glare or reflections on the screen on your car stereo, find an anti-glare screen protector for a tablet and cut it to size. If you'd rather get a pre-cut one, a campany called Lexerd makes them for a variety of devices. Here's their page on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd/b/ref=b...wse-bin=Lexerd
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
On the east coast here, we have some tunnels that prohibit propane tanks. I have the setting this way to see if the system re-routes automatically. I will report back if it occurs. I agree that this setting is not very helpful for most. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
On the east coast here, we have some tunnels that prohibit propane tanks. I have the setting this way to see if the system re-routes automatically. I will report back if it occurs. I agree that this setting is not very helpful for most. Thanks.

Most propane tank prohibits apply to portable tanks, not the frame mounted tanks found on the Interstate's. You just have to make sure the propane is turned off.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote