Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
just updated firmware on my 2014 and tech was kind enough to advise not to update maps since only the 2015 update is currently available. new 2016 update should be released soon.

jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Closely-related question: What is everyone's favorite brand or format of paper maps?

Someone (Eklund?) recently posted an online coupon for DeLorme state atlases on another thread. 50% off. The coupon code worked for me and I bought three of them.

I hate 'em. They devote far too much real estate to city maps and not enough to maps of the boonies. Very few people need reams of paper maps of urban areas - that information is readily available via cell phone in a number of formats and without subscriptions. As a result of the huge amount of space devoted to cities, DeLorme was forced to compress the boonies pages into something that is so mis-scaled and dense that it's almost unreadable.

I should have done more homework prior to purchasing them. I need good, balanced map coverage of those places for which cell coverage is spotty or unreliable.

I've used Rand McNally road atlas for years. It's OK but not great. I just bought a National Geographic North America Road Atlas at REI. It wasn't cheap, but I used my dividend to buy it. It has very good contrast colors and looks like it will be a good paper map backup, but I haven't used it yet.

I use a smart phone app called Copilot on my iPhone 6+ as a backup to the Kenwood/Garmin. It is about $20 from App Store and I think they also sell a Android version. I have all of USA, Canada and Mexico on the phone. It does not require cell coverage and just uses the GPS in your phone. I've used it in the far corners of Alaska and it works great. The nicest feature is it always gives you a primary and two alternate routes to choose from. I first discovered it after reading about it in Motorhome magazine several years ago. In my view it is a great nav app. It also recalculated the route nearly instantly if you get off course. This is an important feature in unfamiliar metro areas.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #59
Rivet Master
Sedona , Arizona
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post

Does the SD card not work for map updates by design? I haven't been able to do updates by SD card, either, and am going to have to pull the unit from the dash to get to the USB in the back (which has the iPod cable connected to it in the glove box).

Do you know a link on the Kenwood site to get the map and firmware updates for the DNX?

I've updated firmware and maps in mine (DNX890HD).
For the firmware get it here:
For the map upgrade go here:

I upgraded the firmware using an SD card, but first it has to be inserted into the slot behind the raised display to identify the unit, and it places some data on the card. Then you transfer the card to your laptop or PC and use it to download the new firmware. Then return it to the slot in the Kenwood.
As for the map upgrade, it's similar with one big exception: the new map never gets loaded to the unit's hard drive; it remains on the SD card, which you must leave in the slot in the Kenwood! I did confirm with Kenwood support that this is intended. So if you remove the card, it reverts back to the original map.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
Parking Brake- Must be on to update

On our 2016 the parking brake must be on to update the radio. I guess Kenwood thought this a wise safety item?
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:36 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
On our 2016 the parking brake must be on to update the radio. I guess Kenwood thought this a wise safety item?
My Kenwood/Garmin is a DNX7180, and can be updated while the van is in motion. But I had to go into the Garmin setup screen to manually change that from the factory default, and I did it so long ago that I don't recall exactly what I had to change. I don't normally futz with the GPS while the vehicle is in motion, but if I have to activate the Detour function to find an alternate route, it's nice to be able to do it while the vehicle is in motion because the reason for the detour can also be the reason there's no place to stop and play with the GPS.

Besides, it's silly to be forced to stop just so that a front-seat passenger can do the trip planning on the GPS.

There's no guarantee that settings in newer units can be manually reset the way my DNX7180 was, but it's worth a try.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member
fairfax station , va
Talking Garmin update update

Somehow all of my OEM maps disappeared from the GPS (DNX890HD) over the winter. Really. There was no SD card in the machine but I don't think there ever was.
But that isn't what brought me here.
Just some advice for those attempting to download SD updates through Garmin.

They don't recognize Chrome or Firefox browser for update function.

They also don't recognize the new MS Edge browser for those of you stupid lucky enough to have upgraded to Windows 10.

Luckily, you can still access the "hidden" Internet Explorer in 10. Hit the "windows" key and type "internet explorer" in the text box.

IE worked for me after a frustrating afternoon and I'm now a mappin' fool, $69 poorer with internet skilz I did not want or need.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's interesting as I use Firefox to upgrade my Garmin.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member
fairfax station , va
Garmin update update, update

Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
That's interesting as I use Firefox to upgrade my Garmin.
That's good. I tried both MS Edge and Chrome and intarw3bz forums said Firefox was also a "no go"...but I guess it's a "go go".

VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote