Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Kenwood DNX7180 / iPhone 5 issues

I'm having issues getting my iPhone 5 to play music thru my Kenwood

Kenwood DNX7180 (running the latest software and bluetooth versions)
Software Version 1.8.0
Bluetooth version 3.30.4

My iPhone5 will not play music thru the iPod/iPhone jack. I have a convertor plug to take the original iPhone connector (the wide one) to the new iPhone 5 connector thin one - lightning connector) and connect it to the cable in the glove box (that is connected to the DNX7180). I've also tried hooking up the lightning connector via the USB slot. Same result. No sound. Interestingly, all of the controls and visuals work, just no sound.

My old iPod/iPhone 4 works fine (wide connector), so I know it is not a disconnected cable.

If I want to play the music on my iPhone, I need to stream it via bluetooth. It works fine, but the external subwoofer that I have does not work when I stream music. When I stream music via bluetooth, no subwoofer does not produce sound.

A related problem is with Pandora. If I hook up the iPhone via cables, I can control Pandora thru the Kenwood. However, again no sound. I can stream Pandora from my iPhone via bluetooth, but the sub does not work.

In summary, 2 issues.

I can't get sound from the system with the iPhone 5 hooked up via cable (tho the graphics and controls work). I'm guessing it's some sort of lightning cable conversion issue.

I can't get the subwoofer to work when I stream music from a bluetooth device. I'm guessing it is a bluetooth profile issue.

Anyone one else having these problems? Any suggestions on how to rectify?

My wife calls these 'champaign problems', but they drive me crazy. We have a multi week road trip coming up and I'd like to have these corrected if possible.

Thanks,

2012 Airstream Extended Lounge

Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
Kenwood DNX7180 (running the latest software and bluetooth versions)
Software Version 1.8.0
Bluetooth version 3.30.4

My iPhone5 will not play music thru the iPod/iPhone jack. I have a convertor plug to take the original iPhone connector (the wide one) to the new iPhone 5 connector thin one - lightning connector) and connect it to the cable in the glove box (that is connected to the DNX7180). I've also tried hooking up the lightning connector via the USB slot. Same result. No sound. Interestingly, all of the controls and visuals work, just no sound.
My guess, the iPhone 5 is newer than the Kenwood unit, and the Kenwood unit does not have the right driver program loaded for the iPhone version. That driver program may not be available yet. I haven't updated my DNX7180 since it was installed, so I don't know what the current update is or what it includes.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Is your adapter from 40 pin connector to new Lighting connector a known working adapter? We used this setup all summer on our rig playing music and listenting to audio books. We were using an iPhone 5 running iOS6. Also our adapter is from Apple. They are pricey but reliable.

Haven't tried it yet since we updated to iOS7, but we had a heck of a time getting iOS7 to working with Windows 7 until both Apple and MS did some recent updates.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
The no audio is a strange problem. I'll see if I can get my hands on a lightning adapter to test on my AS. The no sub issue I might have a idea about.

Go to the audio menu and see if you have the system set to dual zones of single zone. I normally have the tvs running in the rear zones for the kids, but that disabled all the audio enhancement that you can do they the stereo if your primary is Bluetooth.

Try switching to single and see if that resolved your problem. (Well, I guess that won't actually fix it, but it would tell you what's causing it!)

Side question: where did you mount your sub? Other then putting them all the way in the. Ack, I've struggled to find a good place to put one. Ideally, I'd like one up front and perhaps a second in the back. Each able to work independently or together depending on the zone selection.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Hmmm. The issue on the phone side was indeed the adaptor (30 pin to lightning). I took it back to Apple and got a replacement. All is fine now. The iPhone and Pandora work as they are supposed. The sub works also. Thanks for the suggestion boxster!

Jquayle, I'm running as a single zone. I played around with the zones and different settings, but no luck; the sub woofer does not work via Bluetooth. However, the phone/adaptor meets my needs now.

I installed a low profile sub on the wall next to second row seat on the drivers side. I have a small metal box there (I believe it covers the water intake hoses from the outside. The sub sits on top of the metal box and is screwed into the wall. It's the Sound Ordinance 8-PTD. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...ce-B-8PTD.html. Overall, it's a good sub. Nothing crazy, but does a good job. The main feature for me was the compact size. Now I just need to get better door speakers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3258281115.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	197700   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1865869660.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	197701  

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Does the seat still swivel?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Yup. The seat still swivels. No issues
Old 10-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I wonder if there's anyway to fit something like that in the 'wall'?