Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Manchester , New Hampshire
Kenwood DNX7180 Bluetooth phone issue

Hi all,
New to forum & have learned a lot reading old threads. Thanks for all your posts! I've had my 2012 Interstate for 1 1/2 yrs and haven't had any luck resolving poor outgoing phone quality. People who I call complain of a lot of road noise unable to hear me well. Ultimately I resort to "hands-not free" mode, which I don't want to do; I just pull over when I need to make calls. I've picked every setting that would effect my calls, without any success. All other Bluetooth functions, and quality of callers' voice fine. AS dealer doesn't have a clue. Previous owner traded it in, owning it less than a year - not one other issue except this. Does anyone know where microphone is located & possible issues with them? I've yet to call Kenwood, hoping someone here may help. TIA
BobOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to Airforums.

Since my 2011 still has the MB System 20, I can't help you. Would suggest calling Kenwood as you mentioned. I'm sure someone here will chime in with some ideas.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I had the mic relocated from the center of the windshield to the edge of the overhead tray much closer to the drivers mouth. This helped a lot but it's still not great. I've tried a number of bluetooth handsfree devices in other vehicles with mixed results. None of them compared to the old plantronics corded headset I used to use with my Motorola Star Tac. That had great call quality, none of the fancy new stuff can compare.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I had the mic relocated from the center of the windshield to the edge of the overhead tray much closer to the drivers mouth.
On my 2012, the microphone was stuck on top of the mirror, but it wouldn't stay stuck. So I relocated it to the dashboard, just to the left of the hinged compartment door.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Manchester , New Hampshire
OK, finally found it just barely protruding from trim against windshield. No wonder they couldn't hear me. Gently pulled around trim found I now have plenty of wire length to experiment positions & results. I now have to convince friends to stick with me as I make 20 calls to each. Probably will help determine degree of friendship! "Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?" Thanks
BobOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Also recommend you go to Kenwood and get the latest software update. Their instructions are fairly clear and I've done it several times on my newer DNX7190HD. Check this page for your unit:

Car Electronics Support Information | Kenwood
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Boxter1971,
Thanks for the link. It's been a while since I last updated mine so it's probably time to check again. FYI, the last update corrected my Kenwood (DNX7190HD) from deleting saved destinations.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote