Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
Kenwood DNX6190

I have and 2013 /13 Interstate DWD lounge with the kenwood DNX6190 installed. The unit came with a remote control. I am assuming that the unit can display a dvd on the rear led television but have not been able to figure it out. Does anyone know if this is possible?
AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
I don't think this is possible. But then again, why would you want to? The rear TV has its own DVD built in.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
I have and 2013 /13 Interstate DWD lounge with the kenwood DNX6190 installed. The unit came with a remote control. I am assuming that the unit can display a dvd on the rear led television but have not been able to figure it out. Does anyone know if this is possible?
No. The Kenwood unit is not connected to either television. It is only connected to the speakers.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
Thanks Protagonist for your verification. My goal is to connect the dvd / tv to the ceiling speakers for a better sound experience. My previous 2007 interstate was directly connected with a great surround sound system. I will have to try another way.
AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
Thanks Protagonist for your verification. My goal is to connect the dvd / tv to the ceiling speakers for a better sound experience. My previous 2007 interstate was directly connected with a great surround sound system. I will have to try another way.
It may be possible. The front television is connected to an earphone jack near the sliding side door. If you disconnect that earphone jack wiring from the television, you might be able to reroute the television output to an auxiliary input jack on the back of the Kenwood unit instead.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Buddy of mine looked at it and advised that using the video output from the dash unit to the video input on the front tv would be the easiest way to do it. Have not tried it yet though.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Buddy of mine looked at it and advised that using the video output from the dash unit to the video input on the front tv would be the easiest way to do it.
Only if you play the DVD in the Kenwood unit. I suppose the Kenwood unit will play video DVDs, but I've never tried it with mine.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Only if you play the DVD in the Kenwood unit. I suppose the Kenwood unit will play video DVDs, but I've never tried it with mine.
The Kenwood unit does play DVDs. And if you want it to play while driving (for passengers to watch), carefully pull the faux wood trim forward, undo 4 screws (you need a special bid as it's not a Phillips or flat screw), and then ground the light green wire. There are You Tube videos on this procedure.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I took mine to a stereo shop and they ran an audio plug from the front to to the aux input of the stereo. (Input is listed as VIDEO on the stereo)

They didn't wire it quite the way I wanted though. I wanted them to tap into the existing headphone jack. They simply ran a new cord. Now I have to switch back and forth if I want to use the headphones vs the stereo.

The really nice part about doing this is that I can play the audio from the tv just t the back speakers if I want. That let's me listen to my music thru the front while the kids are watching a movie thur the rear speakers. Not only does it sound better, but the tvs have the speakers in the back so they are quite loud for the front passengers.

Using the stereo, the rear speakers point down rather then towards the front. Louder and clearer for them and I can barely hear it if I have music playing even at a low volume in the front.

Win win!

One note: I don't use the built in DVD player. I use a Media player that send hdmi to the front and rear tvs at the same time. If you used the built in DVD you would only have picture on the front tv.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
One note: I don't use the built in DVD player. I use a Media player that send hdmi to the front and rear tvs at the same time. If you used the built in DVD you would only have picture on the front tv.
If so, I'm glad mine only came from the factory with a front television, and I managed to negotiate to have the rear television added by the dealer at no extra charge. Because it's an aftermarket television, both televisions have built-in DVD slots. It never occurred to me that Interstates with factory dual televisions would only have one with a built-in DVD. Have you thought about swapping the front and rear televisions?

If I could find a 22~24" high-def television with a built-in blu-ray player, I'd swap out that rear television in a heartbeat. But so far no luck on that score.

I've never even used the front television in the year and a half that I've owned my Interstate— during my initial walk-through, it didn't take long to figure out that watching it while seated in my second-row seat would leave me with a crick in my neck in no time— but removing the television would leave some unsightly holes in the cabinetry. It stays in place as a spare so I can swap the front and rear televisions if the rear one ever quits working.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Sorry, I don't think I stated that clearly. Both tvs are the same and have a DVD built in, but if you play a DVD on the front tv you won't see that same image on the rear

If you want to hear the tv audio thru the stereo you need to run a connection from the headphone output of the tv to the stereo and I did this by connecting to the headphone out of the front tv.

You could run a connection to the output of the rest tv, but that would be MUCH more difficult to get a cable all the way back there.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Sorry, I don't think I stated that clearly. Both tvs are the same and have a DVD built in, but if you play a DVD on the front tv you won't see that same image on the rear.
I see. Same setup as my aftermarket second television then.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

If I could find a 22~24" high-def television with a built-in blu-ray player, I'd swap out that rear television in a heartbeat. But so far no luck on that score.
I happened to notice this one from an e-mail. Didn't know they made TVs. Maybe someone else does and they just brand it. My first stereo equip. was Sansui and it performed well for a long time and then I sold it to upgrade.

Granted it's not a BD player but then I've never seen a TV w/ a built-in BD player.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I have the stock sandy as well. They seem fine for the use. My only real complaint is that the rear tv arm doesn't pivot up/down and the tv image when viewed off angle is quite poor. (We get this a lot when laying down in the back watching tv)

Other then that, I really only use them with the hdmi input and have found the tvs fine.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
My 2011 didn't come with the Kenwood, but I added it later. When I did so, I had the installer run a audio cable the the composite connection in the overhead compartment, which runs to the rear tv/dvd unit. I then connected the headphone out to the composite cable that runs to the overhead connectors since the TV has no RCA jacks. I then connected the new video/audio cables to the input to the Kenwood deck that were connected to the composite connectors in the overhead compartment. I now can have TV audio over the rear speakers and use the remote to control the sound from the back. If I use a satellite (rarely as I hate to hassle with the external antenna) I use the HDMI cable to the TV (yes, there is one there, behind the panel).

The sound quality isn't great, but that is a limitation of the poor audio output of the TV, not the Kenwood Deck.

GM
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Angry

One of the first things I did was modify the TV mount for the wardrobe-closet-door mounted TV (what a dumb idea that is!) was to modify the mount with a pivoting swivel so I can actually watch TV. How I did this is outlined on the Yahoo Interstate Group. Otherwise, like you, I could only see a washed out image.

Gerald

Quote:
I have the stock sandy as well. They seem fine for the use. My only real complaint is that the rear tv arm doesn't pivot up/down and the tv image when viewed off angle is quite poor. (We get this a lot when laying down in the back watching tv)

Other then that, I really only use them with the hdmi input and have found the tvs fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I also though the rear TV arm in my 2013 Interstate didn't pivot up/down, which makes watching tv when laying down a problem. But I looked closer at the mount right where the TV is attached. There is a small metal pin that can be removed to allow the TV to pivot up/down with arm extended a bit out of the locking detent.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Wow, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

(Love this forum!)
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Sure enough! I never would have found that. You do have to have the arm extended straight out to use it, but the girls can see the tv a lot better now.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Btw, if you don't already know, kenwood post regular firmware updates for the stereo.

Here's the link:

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...013/index.html