Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Rear TV Pivots down

The rear TV mount does pivot up/down a bit if you remove the silver colored pin at the mount pivot right where it attaches to the TV. See attached photo. It work good when lying in bed to watch TV. The mount must be unfolded a bit to get the TV to pivot down.

- - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear TV on Interstate.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	192875  
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The wardrobe door mounted TV mount does not have that option. At least mine didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The rear TV mount does pivot up/down a bit if you remove the silver colored pin at the mount pivot right where it attaches to the TV. See attached photo. It work good when lying in bed to watch TV. The mount must be unfolded a bit to get the TV to pivot down.

- - Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
The wardrobe door mounted TV mount does not have that option. At least mine didn't.
Don't feel alone. My rear television was an aftermarket installation by my dealer, and it doesn't have the same bracket as the ones with the factory rear television. Mine tilts down slightly, but a lot less than the one pictured by Boxter1971. But on the plus side, mine tilts down even while up against the wall; I don't have to swing it out first.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Btw, if you don't already know, kenwood post regular firmware updates for the stereo.

Here's the link:

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...013/index.html
Just FYI, my Kenwood DNX7190HD would not read my newer high capacity USB device. I had to use an older 2 gig device (I had to google it).
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I'm not sure the exact year, but I believe the dealer said it was 2010 when they started using that bracket.

If you have the mount that telescopes out and has the pull cord on the bottom to release the arm the. I believe you should have the right mount.

The pin is difficult to see. I'll see if I can take a picture of exactly where it is and post it.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Here's where the pin was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1007758262.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	192901  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
My 2013 came with a Kenwwood DNX-7190HD...I guess the difference is the HD radio function. Anyway, I updated the software from 1.8.0 to 1.11.0 per the Garmin instructions. However, the download put the zip files in a Garmin folder and after I unzipped them I had to move them out of the folder to the top of the "hierarchy". Then update took effect then. I have to say this was the worst Garmin software i've ever seen. I use a portable one because I don't trust the Kenwood version. Going on I-75/85 through Atlanta to Greenville SC, the GPS wants you to get off the Interstate at a downtown exit and take the side streets. This also happens near the airport...I feel sorry for folks who "trust" their Garmin's. OF course, I don't use TOM TOM because it couldn't find a house street address that had been established for years....maybe this software update will help.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #28

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
I use a portable one because I don't trust the Kenwood version. Going on I-75/85 through Atlanta to Greenville SC, the GPS wants you to get off the Interstate at a downtown exit and take the side streets. This also happens near the airport...I feel sorry for folks who "trust" their Garmin's. OF course, I don't use TOM TOM because it couldn't find a house street address that had been established for years....maybe this software update will help.
There is an area in North Tarrant County, Texas where Garmin, Tom Tom, iPhone/Ipad, and as far as I know every other GPS on the market is doing well to get you within two miles of your destination. Even more frustrating is no two of them will lead you to the same place. The usual explanation for these errors is the original maps were drawn from a mis-identified base point, but that would not explain this situation. Other than that exceptional case and making allowances for construction areas where roads, entrances, exits, etc are changing daily, if not more often, I have found the Gamin maps to be very accurate, and although some of the routing might be unexpected, they are generally better than some of the more obvious routes I have used over the years.

Even though I subscribe to and install the Garmin quarterly updates, no stored map can possibly be as current as maps downloaded on demand in smart phones and other online devices. In spite of that, when I am using the iPhone GPS routing I really wish for the big display and routing provided by the Kenwood 7190 and Garmin in my Interstate.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Was checking on Crutchfield for the DNX6190 AND DNX7190 and they have discontinued both of them and are now recommending the DNX570HD. Not sure what the differences are as I haven't called them but wondering if anyone had heard of any problems w/ the ones AS is using.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I have the 6190. I don't really have any problems with it, other than I think the User Interface is horrible and the lag time after selecting a function is unacceptable. I would never recommend it to a friend or purchase another. I've been looking for an alternative for awhile, but don't know if I should justify the expense.

I've seen some different threads about putting an iPad mini in it's place. I may try that in the future (I understand that I would lose some functionality; but gain other benefits).
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
Even though I subscribe to and install the Garmin quarterly updates, no stored map can possibly be as current as maps downloaded on demand in smart phones and other online devices. In spite of that, when I am using the iPhone GPS routing I really wish for the big display and routing provided by the Kenwood 7190 and Garmin in my Interstate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
I've seen some different threads about putting an iPad mini in [the kenwood's] place. I may try that in the future (I understand that I would lose some functionality; but gain other benefits).

I agree with both statements. I use a RAM dash mount just left of the rear camera monitor to hold an ipad mini that has a cellular connection. The navigation apps with real time, user reported updates are light years ahead of any dedicated GPS. Road closures, traffic, accidents, road hazards, even police are all there.

I also use pandora to stream Bluetooth to the stereo.

I looked at replacing the kenwood with just an ipad, but there are a lot of downsides and gotcha's that aren't immediately apparent.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The Kenwood with Garmin also has traffic updates that are current. It saved me a lot of time getting around all the construction delays in Minneapolis last month. But I agree the Garmin unit has limitations and won't accept coordinates for destinations. I also use a GPS app on my iPhone and iPad, but not one that requires cell data which isn't always available. I use the Copilot App.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
But I agree the Garmin unit has limitations and won't accept coordinates for destinations.
Mine does. Three different coordinate formats as well. But then again, mine's a 7190, not a 6190. So maybe that's another difference, besides the radio functions.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Mine does. Three different coordinate formats as well. But then again, mine's a 7190, not a 6190. So maybe that's another difference, besides the radio functions.
Traveling now. My 7190hd is a POS!!! Iam ready to trash it. The real problems are that it only has 6 million POIs. Didn't know where several places like golden pond ky were located. Locked up dead when I tried to set an intersection for two major interstates near St. Louis. The interface stinks because its scrolling function is random on where it stops. Pandora has never linked to my iphone4or 5. etc etc etc. it needs at least 10 million POIs especially because your are travelling. I am going to Crutchfied.com and order one that uses more POIs and has a Knox or select switches for functions. Always good recommendations from them.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Yeah, I watched Crutchfield do a comparison on about 5 units on u tube and the 7190hd was the slowest to recalculate a new route when they intentionally took a wrong turn. Their comment went something like, the Kenwood is still lost. I was bummed
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I am able to tilt my Rear TV Down in the 2014 Interstate EXT.

Have to rotate the TV all the way out and here is a 'Pull Pin' locking the rotation. A little bit of effort to pull out; and all the angles have to be right for it to rotate down (rather than twist the angle) but it will rotate down to a fixed angle (about right for watching from bed) once you have it rotated down; you can swing it back around by the window to keep it out of the isle.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #37
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I am able to tilt my Rear TV Down in the 2014 Interstate EXT.

Have to rotate the TV all the way out and here is a 'Pull Pin' locking the rotation. A little bit of effort to pull out; and all the angles have to be right for it to rotate down (rather than twist the angle) but it will rotate down to a fixed angle (about right for watching from bed) once you have it rotated down; you can swing it back around by the window to keep it out of the isle.

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Pics didn't make it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Kenwood 7190 - entering coordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Protagonist,
Mine is also a 7190 but I can't figure out how to enter designations by coordinates. I've looked though the user manual several time with no luck. Can you tell me how you are able to enter destinations in coordinate format?

Thanks,
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Protagonist,
Mine is also a 7190 but I can't figure out how to enter designations by coordinates. I've looked though the user manual several time with no luck. Can you tell me how you are able to enter destinations in coordinate format?
Naturally the Kenwood manual does not address anything on the Garmin side. And the Garmin website's "Support" section doesn't seem to be working right. When you try to drill down to the manuals, you can't get to them.

Step by step:
1 - Where you're at the screen with "Where To" and "Show Map" select "Where To". Of course you already know that, but we've got to start somewhere.
2 - This brings up a screen where you can select "Home" "Address" "Point of Interest" "Intersection" and several other possibilities. Scroll down until you see an icon that says "Coordinates". Should be very near the bottom.
3 - Select which degree format you want to use, from the three listed.
4 - Enter the lattitude.
5 - Enter the longitude. Make sure you use a leading "0" for anything less than 100°W.
6 - Either select "Save" to add the point to your favorites or select "Go" to make it your destination.

Side note… After checking my Kenwood unit, I discovered that mine is a 7180, not a 7190. Senior moment there. However, that should not affect the Garmin side of things. Both my in-dash Garmin in the Interstate and my portable Garmin Nüvi have the same GUI, so I don't see them changing it for the 7190.

On a related topic, to hamiltonmj, who was complaining about the Garmin only(!) having 6 million points of interest, you can add more if you've got a laptop with an SD slot. You can download third-party POI files from various websites (see Garmin | United States | Custom POI Sources and POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS for more info), load them onto an SD card, and then insert the SD card into your Kenwood/Garmin. Various POIs that can be added include low clearances (POIs to avoid!), red light cameras (ditto!), plus campgrounds, restaurants, etc.