Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Kenwood DNN990HD on Airstream Interstate 2014.5

I thought I'd share this since I spent hours and hours trying to figure it out. On the new DNN990HD Kenwood Unit, it restricts you from being able to enter text on the screen (with no warning) UNLESS you have the parking brake on. You must enter text in certain situations like adding the password for Wifi. As someone who helps design user interfaces, I found this highly confusing. It's not obviously documented in the manuals from Airstream or Kenwood to my knowledge. I hope this saves someone else hours of frustration.

Maybe we can use this thread to share any other useful tips on this confusing device.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I'll add one more. You're supposed to depress the voice control button for several seconds and the screen show you what options you have. This didn't work for me. Instead, I found this list online: http://images.kenwood.eu/files/prod/...iceCommand.pdf. Personally, it seems a bit light, but it'll be helpful nonetheless.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Go into the Garmin "settings" (gear icon) and "tools" (wrench icon) screens, and see if there's a setting where you can change that. On my DNX7180, I was able to turn that "feature" off, so that passengers can enter text while the vehicle is in motion.

I don't actually remember what setting I changed; that was two years ago, and I've never reset it since so I didn't need to remember it. Since it's a Garmin software setting, not a hardware setting, it ought to be the same on both models, though.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
For what it's worth, I bypasses the parking brake wire on the Kenwood which will cut down one step in the process. It will also let your passenger watch DVDs while you drive. There's a thread on this topic way down below, but in a nutshell, you simply ground the light green wire.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Good point David. I'll consider that.

Does anyone know how to have the unit turn on/off automatically with the engine like a regular car stereo?

Also, can you do voice commands like "Call so and so" which is common on most cars today? That's not documented under the voice commands.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I don't know if the 2014.5 is wired like the 2014/13 with the Kenwood 890HD but if you have the radio on and turn off the engine it auto switches power to the RV batteries. I have to manually turn on and turn off my Kenwood. Or if you turn off the master battery switch, then the radio will be off with the engine off.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I don't know if the 2014.5 is wired like the 2014/13 with the Kenwood 890HD but if you have the radio on and turn off the engine it auto switches power to the RV batteries. I have to manually turn on and turn off my Kenwood. Or if you turn off the master battery switch, then the radio will be off with the engine off.
My 2013 works the same way.
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Kenwood DNN990HD on Airstream Interstate 2014.5

We continue to fight with the Kenwood thing in our 2014.5. We cannot (yet) play audio from our blu ray on the RV speakers. There are wires up by the Blu Ray, not connected to anything. There is a Lock icon on the screen where you name / configure av-in 1 and av-in 2. We can't figure out what exactly is locked. We have no idea what the spare wires are connected to.

I paired my iPhone and the only controls that work are pause and resume. I can't select songs and I can't skip forwards or backwards.

The Kenwood isn't configured to work with the phone buttons on the steering wheel, so I have to use the Kenwood screen to make calls.

This thing really disappoints.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
We continue to fight with the Kenwood thing in our 2014.5. There is a Lock icon on the screen where you name / configure av-in 1 and av-in 2. We can't figure out what exactly is locked.

The Kenwood isn't configured to work with the phone buttons on the steering wheel, so I have to use the Kenwood screen to make calls.
Could that be what's locked? I can't believe that they would upgrade from the DNX7180 to the 990HD, only to disconnect the phone and volume controls on the steering wheel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Yea, we are not sure why they would do that.

Another thing that is not set up is the vehicle integration stuff. For example, it's possible to see the parking and blind spot indicators in the Kenwood, but that's configured either.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
Yea, we are not sure why they would do that.

Another thing that is not set up is the vehicle integration stuff. For example, it's possible to see the parking and blind spot indicators in the Kenwood, but that's configured either.
Don't know about the 2014.5 models, but older models didn't have those set up because the sensors aren't there. They're optional equipment, and Airstream tends to order their Sprinters without most of the options.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4