Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Keeping my feet dry

I'm relatively still new to my Grand Tour (purchased in September '14), and to RVing in general. My question is this: with the wet bath, the floor gets soaked after a shower, and never quite dries out. Then, when nature calls later in the day, you have to step into the puddles with street shoes and track mud everywhere. Does anyone have an easy solution, other than wiping down the floor every time? I'll be forever grateful for any ideas.
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
GOOGLE " teakwood shower grates " I found one that didn't need to be modified and works perfectly for just that problem. It was less expensive than buying materials and trying to make it myself.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
I'm relatively still new to my Grand Tour (purchased in September '14), and to RVing in general. My question is this: with the wet bath, the floor gets soaked after a shower, and never quite dries out. Then, when nature calls later in the day, you have to step into the puddles with street shoes and track mud everywhere. Does anyone have an easy solution, other than wiping down the floor every time? I'll be forever grateful for any ideas.
I had a trailer with a wet bath, and I squeegeed the walls and floor after every shower. I had a squeegee with a handle about a foot long, did the walls, stepped out and then did the floor. I took a few random swipes at the floor with a squeegee, rather than trying to get the whole thing pristine... but it was enough to let it dry the rest of the way by itself. Of course it didn't hurt to leave the exhaust fan on too.

Of course the teak insert is much more elegant, but don't forget to take it out and clean at least once a week or it'll get really grotty under there!

Paula
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Keep an old dishtowel handy to wipe the floor dry after you have ridden it of water, then be sure to leave the bathroom door open to air dry the entire area thoroughly.

I leave my bathroom door open when parked almost all of the time, because of the moisture that traps in there otherwise.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Keeping my feet dry

I made a custom teak grate for the shower floor. Also keeps you from having to stand in water during shower. We find it less slippery than the bare floor. Liked it so much that I added teak grates to our shower at home.

PS - still best to squeegee the entire shower and floor grated. Moisture control is important in these small spaces.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't squeegee the walls. Instead I wax the walls and ceiling every three months or so with Turtle Wax Ice spray-on automotive wax. Water just beads up and rolls right down to the floor. And if water seems like it will cling, I just tap the wall with a finger and that knocks the beads of water loose.

Of course I don't wax the floor. Besides it being textured I don't want to make it slippery.

As for drainage, if you put leveling blocks on the passenger side, just enough to make the van lean almost half a bubble to the driver's side (as measured by a small torpedo level on the galley countertop), both the galley sink and the shower will drain very well, while the van is still being level enough otherwise to be hardly noticeable. This slight lean to the left also seems to help the black and gray tanks drain more completely when pumping out.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
TMT
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Jacksonville , Florida
The House of Teak has wonderful teak mats just perfect for the wet bath. Lots of different sizes. I bought one for our Interstate, and can't imagine being without it.
The House of Teak also has selections on amazon.com.

Life Is A Journey - Enjoy the Ride!
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
I bought a few pool mat tiles, and cut them to fit the shower. Soft underfoot, easy to install and remove, easy to clean. I've been very satisfied.

Here's a source: http://www.greatmats.com/products/softflex-tile.php

DJ
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I suppose we are a bit anal. Since we always wipe down our shower at home with a squeegee and a towel, it was natural to do the same in the motorhome. We also run both exhaust fans both during and after we take a shower. We did buy a bath mat for the shower to absorb the inevitable splashed water when washing one's hands. We also keep the shower curtain in place after showering so it will dry out.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
The teak floor grates work great like others have said or you can use a chamois after a shower it takes less then a minute.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone who contributed all these ideas. Not sure about the leveling idea, but since no parking pads are exactly level, maybe just try head-in or back-in to have the inevitable lean go the right way I Googled "teakwood shower grates", and I found this: Teak String Mat - BedBathandBeyond.com
It looks like I should be able to cut a few of the boards short so it will fit around the sink base, and then this design will allow the grate to be rolled up and kept out of the way. Anybody have a coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond? That's a joke, folks.
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Somewhere here on the forum somebody made custom team floors for the AI. I have one it work great ant looks real good. I still wipe my bath down after every use including the floor.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
I second the lean to right a bit idea. I always try to do that with my trailer. Also, since we lived in Japan for most of our lives, we simply CANNO' enter our house, trailer, etc. with shoes! Whew, man that is nasty. Think about it. If you can without getting sick. I can go into details, but y'all boys here know wha' I'm speaking of.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have one of these that we use for the wet-lav and the exterior glass. They say you can use it on painted vehicle surfaces, I do not suggest it.
The Original 14 inch California Water Blade, drying blade, squeegee blade
Road Jager
Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
I have one of these that we use for the wet-lav and the exterior glass. They say you can use it on painted vehicle surfaces, I do not suggest it.
The Original 14 inch California Water Blade, drying blade, squeegee blade
Road Jager
That's what I use on all my cars & trucks even in the shower.

It's made of silicone and is harmless to paint finishes .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote