Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Kayak Trailer?

Does anyone have a recommendation for hauling 2 kayaks? I am looking at various reviews but wondered if anyone had recommendations.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I was looking at this earlier in the week:

http://www.rvkayakracks.com
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
I did see that one in the search. The only problem I see if how to open the rear doors. Will try and send the company a question.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Adding a proper swing mechanism would probably add 120# to the carrier.

The other idea I like is adapting a ladder rack. Not sure if it would play nice with all the stuff on the roof but it looks convenient.
http://www.americanvan.com/sprinter-...acks-3990.html
Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This one looks like it solves that problem…
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks, that could be the idea solution. I had not run across this video in my searching.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes just not for the Interstate.
But I am sure it could be modified. Instate of welding an extension on the hitch weld 2 new brackets under the hitch working as stop when bottom out and as double receiver.
Could also work for a nice storage box.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
When watching the video I did notice the way it was attached and it looked like it might be a problem from a couple of things. The way it was attached and when the kayaks were loaded the license plate appeared to be hidden. May have to look for trailer or get inflatable kayaks.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
It is common to mount the plate on the hitch carrier.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure why you would want to lock the load straps. At least if unlocked, the thieves might not cut them when they steal the kayaks.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That Sprinter product is elegant in several respects, with its minimalist design and obvious low weight. However, I would check carefully the departure angle, because it appears as if it might change it - it's situated so low. Considerations such as license plate positioning would be pretty minor compared to the possibility of increased tail strikes and additional limitations on where you could travel with it.

Also, for two grand, I'd hope for a base of higher quality than that expanded metal mesh they are using there. I'm assuming it is steel, which suggests to me that it's not likely to hold a powder coat for very long. Those things tend to rust enthusiastically. But given that these carriers are special order, perhaps something else could be specified.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

2013 Interstate Coach
beverly hills , California
Lurker for the past 6 months. Finally registered to add to this particular discussion, as I am facing the same dilemma.

Sportsmobile has been putting Kayaks on high roof sprinters for awhile.

I know this forum is wary of roof storage due to weight concerns, but kayaks are really light, with some options weighing in at less than 40lbs.

And true, that particular sprinter doesn't have a roof mounted AC, which gives it a little more wiggle room in terms of available roof carrying weight (and space)... but hey, another idea to throw in the echo chamber.
breezytrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Breezytrees! Welcome to Air Forums. I'm not sure how widely you lurked, but you +/- some regular readers may remember this photo from the T1N Interstate resale market that I posted a while back. This owner vaulted his/her kayaks over the air conditioner by adding a secondary roof rack above the OEM roof rack. While I personally would not make the same decision, this striking photo did become the inspiration for our vaulted solar system which, as far as we know, is one of a kind among Interstates.

What remains unanswered in both cases (this older green-stripe Interstate and the Sportsmobile Sprinter) is how an ordinary owner gets the kayaks safely on and off the roof. The Sprinter in the vid appears to be wearing something akin to what I like to call "Aluminess jewelry" - the ladder and the other exterior appurtenances, although perhaps Sportsmobile did that fab rather than Aluminess - I can't tell from their website whether they do exteriors or just interiors. But I don't think that one small side ladder is going to be sufficient for safely raising and lowering kayaks from a high-roof Sprinter.

Some high-roof Sprinters converted for contractor use include a drop-down mechanism for lowering large extension ladders to workable heights. I've wondered whether those have potential for other objects such as kayaks. However, it seems that an owner would need to choose between having an awning and having a drop-down mechanism on at least one side of the vehicle, even if the devices were adaptable to that purpose, which I don't think they are (yet?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_resale_kayak.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	267678  
Old 07-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Some high-roof Sprinters converted for contractor use include a drop-down mechanism for lowering large extension ladders to workable heights. I've wondered whether those have potential for other objects such as kayaks. However, it seems that an owner would need to choose between having an awning and having a drop-down mechanism on at least one side of the vehicle, even if the devices were adaptable to that purpose, which I don't think they are (yet?).
You mean like this one?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh wow, look at that! I didn't know that existed!

The next question to be asked is, how high should you go? I thought our solar system was way up there, but it's got nothing on those things.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oh wow, look at that! I didn't know that existed!

The next question to be asked is, how high should you go? I thought our solar system was way up there, but it's got nothing on those things.
Anything over 14 feet tall is considered oversized on Federal highways, so keep the total height— with kayaks in place— below that. And measure how tall the van is with kayaks in place so you can post a "Minimum Clearance XX feet xx inches" sign directly on your dashboard so you can see it as a reminder for tunnels and underpasses.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #17
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Rac-n-Roll Trailer

We have a Rac-n-Roll trailer - I believe they are now owned by Yakima - which accepts either the round Yakima or square Thule crossbars and then you add whatever bike or kayak carrying options you need.

We use it to carry 4 bikes, 4 kayaks, or any combination of bikes and kayaks as needed.

Here is a picture of it with the 4 bikes - pulled from Long Island to Jeklyll Island in southeastern Georgia round trip with no issues.

I am looking for a picture with the kayaks loaded and if I can locate can post if interested.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	267725  
D44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania
I have sea kayaks about 18 ft long. I bought a trailer from trailex trailers in ohio. Very light tows easy. I tore a rotator cuff loading them on our jeep. The trailer was the best thing i bought for them. I mounted a tool box on it to carry my paddles and life vest. When i want to go kayaking it takes 5 minutes tops to hook up and i'm on the road
BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I too use a Trailex for local kayaking. When the Airstream is in tow the boat goes on the roof.

But I love having the boat always ready to go one the Trailex.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #20
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
sorry for the delay - i finally found a photo with the Rac-n-Roll trailer loaded with Kayaks. Hope this helps -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6645.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	271453  
D44 is offline   Reply With Quote