Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh wow, look at that! I didn't know that existed!

The next question to be asked is, how high should you go? I thought our solar system was way up there, but it's got nothing on those things.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oh wow, look at that! I didn't know that existed!

The next question to be asked is, how high should you go? I thought our solar system was way up there, but it's got nothing on those things.
Anything over 14 feet tall is considered oversized on Federal highways, so keep the total height— with kayaks in place— below that. And measure how tall the van is with kayaks in place so you can post a "Minimum Clearance XX feet xx inches" sign directly on your dashboard so you can see it as a reminder for tunnels and underpasses.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #17
D44
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Rac-n-Roll Trailer

We have a Rac-n-Roll trailer - I believe they are now owned by Yakima - which accepts either the round Yakima or square Thule crossbars and then you add whatever bike or kayak carrying options you need.

We use it to carry 4 bikes, 4 kayaks, or any combination of bikes and kayaks as needed.

Here is a picture of it with the 4 bikes - pulled from Long Island to Jeklyll Island in southeastern Georgia round trip with no issues.

I am looking for a picture with the kayaks loaded and if I can locate can post if interested.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	267725  
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania
I have sea kayaks about 18 ft long. I bought a trailer from trailex trailers in ohio. Very light tows easy. I tore a rotator cuff loading them on our jeep. The trailer was the best thing i bought for them. I mounted a tool box on it to carry my paddles and life vest. When i want to go kayaking it takes 5 minutes tops to hook up and i'm on the road
Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I too use a Trailex for local kayaking. When the Airstream is in tow the boat goes on the roof.

But I love having the boat always ready to go one the Trailex.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #20
D44
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
sorry for the delay - i finally found a photo with the Rac-n-Roll trailer loaded with Kayaks. Hope this helps -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6645.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	271453  
Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
After seeing a pair of Instagram full-timers choose, and use, and speak favorably of, the "Intex Explorer K2 Kayak - 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump - 10.25ft", I decided to order it.

If you look at the reviews on Amazon, it's rated eye-poppingly high despite being the cheapest inflatable that I've ever seen.

Long-timers on this forum might remember that I'm one of the people (Protag was another) who paid 5 to 6 times as much money for a Sea Eagle inflatable, only to have the danged thing succumb to dry rot within just a few years, despite being properly maintained and stored indoors.

Well, if the inflatables are that readily degradable, it makes sense to go low-end, IMO. Either that, or VERY high end (which is what Protag did). But I don't do enough kayaking to justify high-end, so this cheapie will become my experiment. With tax, it was $75 - if I even use it just this one upcoming summer before it gets torn and/or stolen off our hitch carrier, then I will consider that I got my money's worth.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
InterBlog - Please let us know how it works out. I am still searching for a solution.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #23
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Not an Interstate owner, but we also have a truck camper to compliment the Airstream... Our solution was to buy a needed Aluma utility trailer, then add Yakima bars to transport canoes and kayaks. When camping with the TC, the trailer can haul bulky stuff that won't fit in the truck or camper. We additionally use the trailer for hauling yard debris, etc..
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Ancillary issue:

Those of you who have kayaks, either full sized hard-bodied or inflatable, does anyone recommend a particular brand of inflatable PFD?

I can't see going with conventional life jacket style PFDs - they'd have to be CO2 cartridge PFDs due to the space limitations in the Interstate. Only our dog has a conventional bulky PFD because she can't pull a rip cord.

I have an older inflatable but the plastic gizmo that connects the CO2 cartridge to the vest was constructed with a finite lifespan and designed to fail past a certain point, to require one to replace the cartridge with a fresh one. What I'm finding is that the cartridge itself is still manufactured, but I have not yet found a replacement plastic gizmo that makes it work in my particular vest. Which means it may be obsolete by this time. Which would mean my NEXT vest better not have that kind of built-in obsolescence.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I answered my own question on the ancillary question. West Marine has a 40% off sale on all of their West Marine-branded PFDs. That reduced the price of their lowest-end inflatable to $66. Sold. Sale ends today, if anyone is interested.

I actually went to a customer service rep and asked about the issue of what I called the "gizmo" above - the device (properly called a bobbin) that mates the CO2 cylinder to the PFD. I explained that my previous brand seems to have been discontinued, such that I'm left with a perfectly good PFD and a perfectly good gas cylinder but no way to mate them together. They were familiar with the issue and stated that West Marine hasn't changed its attachment design in many years and they didn't know of any plans to do so.

I trust West Marine's merchandise as much as I trust anyone else's (some of our lithium battery retrofit electrical components came from there), so I decided I'd get a pair of their self-branded PFDs, and come what may.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting and circling back around to this topic of kayak management, having chosen a low-end inflatable kayak model, I finished its roof carrier yesterday. Blog post with sourcing and instructions here, and here's what it looks like, tucked under (and strapped to) the leading edge of the solar panel array (there are two other buckle straps that also hold it to the side bars of the roof rack):

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here is another kayak option that I don't believe has ever been mentioned on this forum. It wouldn't work for me, as the traditional kayaks are not designed to carry dogs (our water-eschewing dog has actually come to be receptive to our new inflatable). However this one is interesting because it could easily be accommodated on pretty much any hitch carrier, and maybe even on the roof with the right prep.

The Pakayak on Kickstarter, and on YouTube.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
InterBlog - Please let us know how it works out. I am still searching for a solution.
BTW, I have been very pleased with this low-end thing. We used it on our recent trip. It got scraped across gravel as it bottomed out near shore. It got stabbed by jagged pieces of deadwood - all the normal usage conditions, and it did not develop any leaks. It got left outside for more than 3 weeks, turned upside down in the woods just above the lakeshore, to prevent it from filling with rainwater. It's clearly for calm-water use only, but it works.

One caveat is that we didn't put two people plus a dog in it at a time. We could have, but with it being lighter gauge, and with my husband not being a morning person (morning is when the lake is most calm and when I wanted to go out), we just did not get around to that - and I wasn't anxious to try.

It is MUCH more stable than the comparable Sea Eagle - I really like that aspect. Correspondingly, it has a lower center of gravity and sits lower in the water, which is why I think it might sag a bit with two adults in it. Might not be a problem, though. We'll try a 2-person paddling at a later time at a less remote destination.

The low-in-the-water characteristic was really a good thing for our dog. There was none of that crazy tippy feeling that will inspire most dogs to want to get out of the thing ASAP.