Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Thanks for the summary of your experience. Good stuff to know!
85MH325 - this morning, I was going through some of my VB Air documentation, saw these pics, and thought about our previous conversation about duallies. Weird that I had not seen similar pics on any MB Sprinter documents, although it makes sense for VB Air to have it since they modify the rear suspension. It illustrates what I was talking about the Sprinter non-dually vs. Sprinter dually. Notice the way the frame rails on the non-dually are continuous straight front to back. While the dually frame rails do a jog-around the inner dually. It is how the Sprinter manages to keep the rear track of both versions almost identical, which makes a huge impact on how both handle identically. On domestic pickup trucks, like both of our E450's they keep the same straight rails for both versions due to the expense of engineering a zig-zag rail with higher load rating and just the simplicity of having a straight rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-29 102112.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	350769

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-29 102010.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	350770
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #42
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
85MH325 - this morning, I was going through some of my VB Air documentation, saw these pics, and thought about our previous conversation about duallies. Weird that I had not seen similar pics on any MB Sprinter documents, although it makes sense for VB Air to have it since they modify the rear suspension. It illustrates what I was talking about the Sprinter non-dually vs. Sprinter dually. Notice the way the frame rails on the non-dually are continuous straight front to back. While the dually frame rails do a jog-around the inner dually. It is how the Sprinter manages to keep the rear track of both versions almost identical, which makes a huge impact on how both handle identically. On domestic pickup trucks, like both of our E450's they keep the same straight rails for both versions due to the expense of engineering a zig-zag rail with higher load rating and just the simplicity of having a straight rail.

Attachment 350769

Attachment 350770
Thanks Alex! Very informative!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #43
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And back to my original post... I just made the return trip and saw another... count them... five B-vans... the most recent a Pleasure Way from Canada pulled over at the same truck stop waiting out a vicious thunderstorm on I-80 in Ottawa, IL. One may have been an AI but it was headed east on a portion of interstate that was fairly widely divided, so basically all I could see was a silver Sprinter and that it was a B-van.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We followed your lead and visited the East coast! First parking lot in Boston spotted an Airstream Interstate and we both giggled a bit...went into Maine which is beautiful and got to visit the Acadia National Park. Wish we could have traveled in the AS but it will leave another trip back to look forward to!!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #45
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
We followed your lead and visited the East coast! First parking lot in Boston spotted an Airstream Interstate and we both giggled a bit...went into Maine which is beautiful and got to visit the Acadia National Park. Wish we could have traveled in the AS but it will leave another trip back to look forward to!!
We were just north of Boston in Derry NH, but we slipped into Boston twice for flights at Logan, and once to visit the JFK library. What a cool place!
Old 09-08-2019, 02:11 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We were close, we followed 95 up! Wish we would have talked as we decided to avoid Boston this trip due to Labor Day congestion. Will need to visit the library on the next trip as a return trip needs to be in the books!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #47
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
We were close, we followed 95 up! Wish we would have talked as we decided to avoid Boston this trip due to Labor Day congestion. Will need to visit the library on the next trip as a return trip needs to be in the books!
I don't think Labor Day had any noticable effect on Boston congestion. It's just bad... almost 24/7... and everywhere! If you go there, you just put up with it, unfortunately.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
On our visits to DC, Boston, and Philly we spent the night at a WalMart in a town that had a commuter train station, and then took the train into the city for the day. In all cases we were able to find Interstate-size parking within an easy walk of the train station. I don't mind driving in downtown city traffic (used to drive a city bus so large vehicles don't bother me) but didn't want to try to find a place to park.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #49
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
On our visits to DC, Boston, and Philly we spent the night at a WalMart in a town that had a commuter train station, and then took the train into the city for the day. In all cases we were able to find Interstate-size parking within an easy walk of the train station. I don't mind driving in downtown city traffic (used to drive a city bus so large vehicles don't bother me) but didn't want to try to find a place to park.
Amen. I took the Super-C to New Hampshire a couple of years ago and towed my Jeep. I had a h*ll of a time finding a place to park IT in DT Boston. I'm not even sure I'd want to TRY maneuvering some of those old streets in the AI. We called ahead to the JFK library about parking though, and there was plenty... the lot was only 1/3 full actually... and it's RIGHT on Boston Harbor. I don't know how they'd have looked at overnighting there, but it was a gorgeous place. And parking was free.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:04 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
After seeing a few B class vans on our trip also, your talking of driving through that area has me thinking a bit twice about the idea.

Speaking of which, and at the cost of getting my hand slapped for a forum topic change somewhat...but we are talking about leaving Iowa, right?!

Anyone have suggestions for holiday trips? I'm hoping to twist some arms and take our AS out for an inaugural holiday trip to some place warmer. I'm not sure if somewhat quiet and near a beach can be on my checklist, but any suggestions for really great parks or campsites? I'm just trying to get used to thinking it will be cold in a few months...
Open to suggestions if anyone would like to share! Thanks...
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
After seeing a few B class vans on our trip also, your talking of driving through that area has me thinking a bit twice about the idea.

Speaking of which, and at the cost of getting my hand slapped for a forum topic change somewhat...but we are talking about leaving Iowa, right?!

Anyone have suggestions for holiday trips? I'm hoping to twist some arms and take our AS out for an inaugural holiday trip to some place warmer. I'm not sure if somewhat quiet and near a beach can be on my checklist, but any suggestions for really great parks or campsites? I'm just trying to get used to thinking it will be cold in a few months...
Hawk-ination - please start a new thread on this as I'd like this to get the attention of more potential respondents. As a fellow Iowan (Go Hawks!), we're always looking for fun road trips to take, and currently have one sort of mapped out for Thanksgiving, but I'll wait for the new thread to expand on it...
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We always winterize Titus and store it November - March. But I'm also interested in late fall or early spring trip ideas. Went to California in July - a fine time to visit the Sierra Nevada area but not Death Valley or Joshua Tree NP
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #53
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:

No worries on the thread drift here... I'm a stream-of-consciousness sort of thinker! So... how far do you want to go for warm beaches and how long do you have to get there, be there, and have to return?

Come January, we're tentatively planning a jaunt to the LA basin... staying with friends in Laguna Beach for a couple of weeks and visiting my son at his condo in downtown LA. I'll drive the AI out with the dogs, and my wife will fly into LAX or John Wayne, depending. I'll probably rent an econobox to drive while I'm there.

If you don't want to go THAT far, you can always head down to South Texas and visit Port Isabel and South Padre Island.

Be prepared, however, for "winter camping" at least until you hit above freezing temps in OK or the TX panhandle.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Last February, before we had our AI, we drove down to Texas with our travel trailer and did a loop from Dallas to Waco, to Austin, to San Antonio, then down to Magnolia Beach, over to Houston, then back home to Iowa from there over a 9 day stretch. It was a lot of driving, but a lot of fun as well. Magnolia Beach (Campendium Link: https://www.campendium.com/magnolia-beach#reviews) is free boondocking about 15 feet from the shore near Port Lavaca, and was magnificent the day we were there. That beach is pretty hard packed with shells, so I don't think there would be too much risk of getting an AI stuck.

During Thanksgiving Week, we plan to head on a loop that will take us over to the Moab area for Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, then down through Monument Valley on our way to the Grand Canyon for a couple days, then back home to Iowa. I expect for some cold nights, but hopefully 50ish degree days. My only hope is to not have to re-route down to a more southerly route if there's a snowstorm over the Rockies on I-70 through Colorado.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Magnolia Beach looks pretty cool! Thanks for the idea!

Had the best shrimp ever in a dive bar right on the Gulf...not sure if that's what they are called in Texas...very close to that area. Would love to visit again, especially getting to stay on the beach! Good luck with your trip this fall and crossing through Colorado. That trip also sounds pretty awesome. I hope you get some warmer days during your trip, too!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #56
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post

During Thanksgiving Week, we plan to head on a loop that will take us over to the Moab area for Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, then down through Monument Valley on our way to the Grand Canyon for a couple days, then back home to Iowa. I expect for some cold nights, but hopefully 50ish degree days. My only hope is to not have to re-route down to a more southerly route if there's a snowstorm over the Rockies on I-70 through Colorado.
In April 2018, I was headed for LA and took I-70 through Colorado in my Super-C towing my Jeep. It started raining in Denver, and by the time I hit Frisco, it was blizzarding. They had the "trucks chain up" signs going. Of course, a) there's NO way to turn around, and b) I had no chains anyway... so I just kept going and got off at Frisco for the night and stayed in the Walmart. Fortunately I have some pretty aggressive drive tires on the rear duals; so between going 30mph and the tires, I didn't have any traction issues. There was about 6" of snow in Frisco overnight. The next day wasn't a lot better, but it WAS daylight, so I struck out and made it over Vail Pass.

Vail apparently had it's first snowstorm of the season... YESTERDAY. I wouldn't count on being able to do I-70 for Thanksgiving!

AND THIS is what a Super-C looks like after a traverse of Vail Pass in a blizzard. I had road sand in EVERY nook and cranny of the coach's chassis, fender wells, grill, radiator, and every other place sand could work its way into. Note the windshield on the Jeep. It's opaque from caked on sand.

IMG_2312 by Roger H, on Flickr
Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Damn.... That's disappointing. I was hoping to have the more southern route as a contingency and not the main plan. Thanks for the heads-up. Perhaps taking 80 across and then cutting south just west of Rawlins, WY down to Grand Junction would be a better plan... I don't really want to go across Kansas and New Mexico both directions and miss out on the Eastern Utah stuff.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #58
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
Damn.... That's disappointing. I was hoping to have the more southern route as a contingency and not the main plan. Thanks for the heads-up. Perhaps taking 80 across and then cutting south just west of Rawlins, WY down to Grand Junction would be a better plan... I don't really want to go across Kansas and New Mexico both directions and miss out on the Eastern Utah stuff.
Yeah, sorry I don't have better words for you Nate. I'll not make the I-70 mistake again. In late January 2017 when I went to Las Vegas, LA, and San Diego, I left two days before the huge ice storm that hit the entirety of the middle of the country. I stayed the first night in Kansas City in 11* temps and 50mph winds... and then made it to Oklahoma JUST below the storm before I turned right. It was still cold, but eventually I could de-winterize and use the plumbing for the rest of the trip. I had to re-winterize on my return in late February as well... but the temps had moderated some here to the mid-30s.