Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Eligracem

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Carmel , Indiana
Jammed door

I just shut the side door on our 2016 Interstate, forgetting that the screen door was open, and managed to jam both doors so that the sprinter door is not completely shut but will not open nor close further. I removed the latch on the screen door from the inside and cannot get it to open either. We have accidentally done this in the past but never to this degree. Any ideas on how to un-jam them?

Thank you
Eligracem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
For the bump, we don't have a screen door issue, and furthermore we don't have your newer model of Sprinter, but the sliding door has long been known to be problematic, occasionally sticking in an un-openable position and eventually failing altogether in some cases.

When the sticking happens to us, I get on the inside, sit on the floor of the van, and with sock feet or bare feet, place uniform but light pressure outward on the door. Simultaneously, my husband tries to open it from the outside of the van. Knock wood, we've always managed to free it using this method. I have never found a way to rectify that situation as a one-person job. It takes two.

I'm not sure if there's any food for thought for you in that explanation, but I would caution against forcing it, as the latching mechanism can break altogether. And it's a time-consuming job to fix it, as it involves dismantling the door (which we intend to do eventually, both to replace the OEM latch and to add soundproofing).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
This linked YouTube video solved my stuck sliding door problem on newer Interstate. But with the screen stuck in the middle it may be hard to access the top rear latch that often caused a stuck slider.
https://youtu.be/mqdHIux9UM8

Good Luck!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My sense from the original post is that the door is stuck midway. The link seems to be if the door will not unlatch to open (or, I suppose, will not latch closed). While the YouTube link is to solve a problem with the top latch, isn't there also one in midpoint on the rear that could also stick?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My sense from the original post is that the door is stuck midway. The link seems to be if the door will not unlatch to open (or, I suppose, will not latch closed). While the YouTube link is to solve a problem with the top latch, isn't there also one in midpoint on the rear that could also stick?
OK if that is the case then it's likely the screen jammed to door. That could be freed forcing it open but that will likely damage the screen or interior door panel.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #6
Eligracem

Carmel , Indiana
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The screen door is actually all the way closed and wedged into the lower corner of the opening. I took off the interior latch and still cannot get it to budge. The exterior door will not move at all, it is in an almost closed position but still with a gap in the opening and we cannot get to the door lock to see if it is actually locked, unlocked, or somewhere in between. I think the exterior door is going to have to move before the screen door can, and I'm afraid that is going to involve a trip to some repair place somewhere because we cannot get it to move at all.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
When opening the sliding door its first movement is away from the van body, not forward. After it moves out it then moves forward. You say the sliding door is nearly closed. In your un-jamming efforts you should be trying to move the van door out, not forward. Since the screen door is in the way on the inside I guess you will have to try to pull it out from the outside. Perhaps you can get your fingers (or a small padded pry bar) in the joint at the back. If the sliding door is open at least 1/2 " I don't think it is possible for it to be latched. Or if the screen is tight against the sliding door, maybe you can push out on the door by pushing through the screen. I (fortunately, from the sound of things) am not familiar with the screen door, but I assume it simply move forward and backward and does not have (or is not supposed to have) any 'in or out' movement to it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
OK if that is the case then it's likely the screen jammed to door. That could be freed forcing it open but that will likely damage the screen or interior door panel.
At first, I couldn't understand the issue, but then realized we don't have a screen door on the 2018, it's just a flimsy accordion screen (and maybe that was the reason for ours being intentionally flimsy). I agree with Mike. The more structural of the 2 doors is the Sprinter door, hence the sacrificial door is the screen door and interior trim.

So, if all finessing has failed, time to consider brute force (after all brute force got it there). How about trying to force/open/move both as a single unit? If it's a short drive to repair shop, secure Sprinter door to cargo loop tie-down to prevent accidentally slamming open. That could create a bigger problem.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Jammed door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eligracem View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The screen door is actually all the way closed and wedged into the lower corner of the opening. I took off the interior latch and still cannot get it to budge. The exterior door will not move at all, it is in an almost closed position but still with a gap in the opening and we cannot get to the door lock to see if it is actually locked, unlocked, or somewhere in between. I think the exterior door is going to have to move before the screen door can, and I'm afraid that is going to involve a trip to some repair place somewhere because we cannot get it to move at all.

Ok - this sounds like the upper rear latch problem that is addressed in the video link I provided earlier. My slider jammed because it was pushing against the things Airstream added to interior. Anything that impedes the full closure of the slider can cause that upper rear latch to jam. Unfortunately for you the screen door is in the way preventing removal of the upper sliding door interior trim panel to let you get to the upper rear latch.

Also depending on where you go to get it fixed you will run into the Mercedes vs. Airstream issue mentioned in another thread about the rear bumper. If you can get to an Airstream dealer that might be best as it is the Airstream installed screen door causing most of the problem.

Edit: I also don't think any "brute force" on the door will open it if the upper rear latch is jammed. But getting the screen out of the way may require some force.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Eligracem

Carmel , Indiana
I was finally able to get both doors unstuck by propping myself against the pantry and pushing on both doors while my son-in-law pulled on the sprinter door from the outside to release it enough to clear the side trim piece at the rear of the door. I am thrilled to say that both the screen door and sprinter door are intact and working fine, locks and all. My new problem, though, is that I have lost all power in the van. The inverter says Fault No Comm, but it has been plugged into power the entire time. I cannot figure this out, because even if the exterior door was not shut all the way and a light was on, wouldn't the ac power have carried it? The engine is fine. I guess I will unplug and drive around for a while to see if the inverter will reset - ?
Thank you
Old 05-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
I would try turning the master electrical switch off, wait a minute for it to shut down, then back on. Will electricity work if disconnected from city electric and run generator? If still not working, check to see if the inverter green light is blinking. Located under the driver side jump seat. If not on or blinking, there is a rest button about one inch away, press and hold. Hope this helps
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I am not sure what type of remote that you have for the Magnum, but I would try to unplug the cable between the two (on either end) for 30 seconds or so then plug it back it.

If that doesn't work I would try to reset the Magnum (grey button on the Magnum). Make sure that there is no AC power (shore or generator) into the Magnum when you do this, as a recent thread said you'll fry the remote if you do a powered reset.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
If you have had the SB 164 solenoid installed in a recall bulletin and it quite working the result would be no battery charging and a communication error.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #14

Browns Valley , California
did you ever get an answer to your situation. I have the same result in the 2018.
walt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Rebuild of screen? The MB slider has been closed too many times with the screen closed. The last time, I had to push out a section of the screen to access the interior door latch. I was able to free the door with this method and then use a screen roller to reinstall the screen. However, I now need to rebuild the screen rollers/wheels as they have worn out. Does anyone know of a source for these parts? They are not listed in the parts book, just the whole screen. Maybe Home Depot but that would be too easy.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
Search Prime Line roller B 702 Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot,
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Having a 2019 19' 4x4, my wife and I BOTH have shut the slider with the screen door closed. Ugh. Had to remove the leading roller assembly on the screen door and straighten them out the best I could with pliers. Home Depot does not have the parts. You have to remove the two out attaching screws and the center height adjusting screw. Also the closing latch piece on the door frame is screwed into the plastic trim of the Mercedes door frame. Very poor design. One of the two screws came already stripped. Speaking of poor design, does everyone know the that the push button latches are ALL fake except for the pantry one? All the drawers, upper cabinets, and closet. All fake. They latch to nothing. Bad form, Airstream.
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919 View Post
… ...Speaking of poor design, does everyone know the that the push button latches are ALL fake except for the pantry one? All the drawers, upper cabinets, and closet. All fake. They latch to nothing. Bad form, Airstream.
Agree - I repaced all my upper cabinet knobs with true latching versions that fit right into same holes and latch against aluminum trim at bottom of upper cabinets. I also replaced all screws on the upper cabinet door hinges after several had stripped out from shifting loads inside the cabinets. Most were only 1/2" screws. I replaced with 3/4 screws and added some Gorilla glue. I dumped at least two upper cabinet before I made changes. The new latching knobs were not cheap, but they work. Have never had an upper cabinet come open since making these changes.

For the price of these Airstream vans one would think they could add latches that work.

Info sheet attached and the source.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...p?p_ref=194286
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sug-tlp-bb-spec.pdf (238.3 KB, 24 views)