Old 04-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Is your Fusion infotainment system randomly rebooting? If so, read on.....

I didn't see this captured in any of the other Fusion threads, so I thought I'd create one because this isn't an obvious problem/solution and I don't want it to get buried. Here goes:

So, I'm on a little 1000 mile business trip with my "mobile office" and at the start of the trip, my Fusion started randomly rebooting. This is new behavior. My first thought was that it was due to a loose power/gnd connection somewhere, so I started paying attention to its behavior over different surfaces. Nope, that wasn't it because it was rebooting on glass smooth roads and playing with no problem on craptastic, washboard type surfaces. It wasn't heat related because it's cold out and was doing it from the start of the trip in the early hours of the day. What then!?!?

On a whim, I decided to move my USB cable for my iPhoneX from the port in the cubby above the Fusion (the one that's directly connected to the Fusion and is used for firmware updates) to a 12v adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter. VIOLA!!! The Fusion never rebooted again. It had been randomly turning off/on about every 10 minutes, with a few back-to-back spurts where it did it 3-4 times in a row, and after removing the USB cable, it lasted 4+ hrs, all the way to my destination.

So.....if you're having issues with your Fusion randomly rebooting and just so happen to have a phone (or any device) plugged into the USB port in the storage cubby on the dash, try unplugging it and see if that clears things up. I have no idea why it's happening, but if that port isn't meant to be used for anything other than updating the Fusion system software, then it should either be moved to a less accessible spot, or there should be a label of some sort prominently affixed near it stating that it's not to be used for any other purpose.

Safe travels everyone. Summer is nearly here.....

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
So.....if you're having issues with your Fusion randomly rebooting and just so happen to have a phone (or any device) plugged into the USB port in the storage cubby on the dash, try unplugging it and see if that clears things up. I have no idea why it's happening, but if that port isn't meant to be used for anything other than updating the Fusion system software, then it should either be moved to a less accessible spot, or there should be a label of some sort prominently affixed near it stating that it's not to be used for any other purpose.

Safe travels everyone. Summer is nearly here.....
I know I have seen the behaviour you described, BUT not at that frequency or at least not that I intentionally tracked for such extended drive period. And I can recall it happening when my Android was connected, but I think (not sure) I have seen it once with just the cable plugged in. I honestly have not had any time to really play around with my Fusion, due to just spending most of my time playing with the rest of the rv. But lately, I have been plugging my Android into my cig lighter adapter (not because of reboot issue, just convenience of not being inside the big lid). And I do not recall it rebooting in the last 2 weeks. Glad you found this, I will definitely be mindful of the behaviour if I end up plugging anything in there. Though after reading your experience, I have even more reason to not use that usb port. 👍

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Same issue here. Same solution. We no longer use that USB port. Will leave it just for doing the updates
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Orlando , Florida
Should have been more specific... in my case, I was using it to keep the Tire Pressure Monitor charging... once disconnected, no more reboots.

So it is just not the phone... looks like anything you connect there will make the head unit behave strangely...

Again, we no longer use it and will keep it for just when we need to make updates
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Same issue here. Same solution. We no longer use that USB port. Will leave it just for doing the updates
Good to know it's not just my unit that's doing this, but at the same time it's a bummer because it may be a systemic issue that, to my knowledge, hasn't been brought to anyone's attention until now.

Let's hope the person AS hired to monitor this forum is on the ball and reports this back to HQ so they can do something about it. It might be something the Fusion folks can fix (assuming they're still employed after Garmin bought them out), which would be my preferred solution because that USB port is handy to have up there, but not if it wreaks havoc with the head unit.....
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...assuming they're still employed after Garmin bought them out...
They are still there. I spoke with them a few months back (11-21-2017, 03:17 PM) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I called Garmin. This is a product still supported by the Fusion team (yes, acquired by Garmin, but seems that the teams have not fully integrated). Got transferred to the Fusion team with Shawn (1.623.580.9000 and press 1 for tech support). He assured me that the unit is still supported. He will report the issues with the website. He could not explain why that was not working.

Told me that if anyone has issues or needed to do an update, to just call and they can help with it.

I now have an open ticket with them for when I take delivery, if the issues with the site are still ongoing, I can get the file via email and proceed with updates.

I hope that helps. Both the Garmin and Fusion folks were a pleasure to talk to.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
I am experiencing the same issues with the display cycling on/off and the panel buttons and related steering wheel buttons non-responsive. In addition, I got the following error message multiple times:
"Unfortunately, com.garmin.android.hfservice has stopped."
The only way I knew how to regain control was to pull off the road, shut down the RV and house battery and let the unit re-boot. I will have to revisit the issue if this is related to using the USB/AUX port as others have describe.

First I like to say the Fusion is alive and thank them for their punctual replies to my emails.

In corresponding with Fusion, they provided the following solutions:
If the customer gets the frozen screen or error message he can try the soft reset process, with the unit ON press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds, then release the button, this button is located above the MicroSD card slot, after this process the unit will reboot normal without needing to stop the AS Vehicle and switch to house battery power.

If the above process doesnít work use the factory reset process by following the steps below and that should help fix the issue:

Turn On the Infotainment System RV-IN801.
After the unit boot normal tap on the Home Icon.
Tap on the Settings Icon.
Tap on the System Icon.
With your finger slide up the screen and Factory Reset and follow any instructions in the screen.

OT, but related
Our Fusion unit has Hardare:V3, Software: 3.10 and RV Parks and Services: 2016.20. What!, this is 2018. My auto Garmin unit was just updated with 2019.10. I don't want to be driving my AS with dated maps.

In corresponding with Fusion, they said that Fusion is responsible with firmware update and Garmin with the maps. That makes sense, but

Garmin's dedicated webpage for in-dash systems does not show Airstream/Fusion

Nor does Garmin's Fusion RV-IN801 webpage have any current map updates.

I recently sent Garmin multiples emails using links provided in the above webpage, and this week I received a response from Fusion that a new map software was being sent via mail. Yesterday I received a microSD card from Garmin with 2018 Full Coverage North America maps. I hope to update my unit later this weekend.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchaser01 View Post
I recently sent Garmin multiples emails using links provided in the above webpage, and this week I received a response from Fusion that a new map software was being sent via mail. Yesterday I received a microSD card from Garmin with 2018 Full Coverage North America maps. I hope to update my unit later this weekend.
Ooohhh.....great news! I would love to have updated maps for my Fusion. I guess I'll send an email and see what happens.....thanks!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Fusion Issues today

Interesting... we did our first day trip today (took the van out to dinner before no issues) and while the family was doing a 5k I was hanging out in the RV. Was trying to put an address in for navigation and keyboard wasn't popping up sometime. Never got it... so just figured would be looking at update later when got home. On the way home it started doing the reboot thing... Wasn't able to get anything working. This was before having anything in the USB outlet. I did end up trying to charge a phone up there but was already having Fusion issues. Will try the steps above and make sure it is updated.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #10

FlyFishinRVr - ever since you posted this, I have been making a conscious effort to pay attention to how Fusion is behaving. So far, like you, no reboots when I don't connect my android phone to usb port. Today, had a 2hr. drive and decided to test what happens if I connect my android again. When I first plugged it in, I got an "Unsupported USB Device" message.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_100146-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	308752

I remember wanting to see how the AUTO+CONNECT remote worked. So, I also turned on Bluetooth on Fusion to connect and launched the AUTO+CONNECT app on my phone. For the entire 2hr. ride, Fusion did not reboot.

Name:	20180414_120022-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	308753

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, because I have never really had as consistent a reboot problem as you had. But, the reason I am wondering if it is related is I read this from Fusion manual :

Name:	20180411_193604-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	308751
I wonder if the reason I am not seeing the reboot is my device is "Unsupported" in Fusion's eyes, hence having it in Bluetooth does not create any of the so-called "media playback issues". I know it does not make sense, but the behaviour you consistently see seems very odd to begin with, I thought it's worth bringing this up.

May just be a coincidence. Next few days, I may have the opportunity to do another 2-3hr. drive. Will test with Bluetooth & AUTO+CONNECT off. Will report on how it behaves.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
FlyFishinRVr - ever since you posted this, I have been making a conscious effort to pay attention to how Fusion is behaving. So far, like you, no reboots when I don't connect my android phone to usb port. Today, had a 2hr. drive and decided to test what happens if I connect my android again. When I first plugged it in, I got an "Unsupported USB Device" message.
Attachment 308752

I remember wanting to see how the AUTO+CONNECT remote worked. So, I also turned on Bluetooth on Fusion to connect and launched the AUTO+CONNECT app on my phone. For the entire 2hr. ride, Fusion did not reboot.
Attachment 308753

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, because I have never really had as consistent a reboot problem as you had. But, the reason I am wondering if it is related is I read this from Fusion manual :
Attachment 308751
I wonder if the reason I am not seeing the reboot is my device is "Unsupported" in Fusion's eyes, hence having it in Bluetooth does not create any of the so-called "media playback issues". I know it does not make sense, but the behaviour you consistently see seems very odd to begin with, I thought it's worth bringing this up.

May just be a coincidence. Next few days, I may have the opportunity to do another 2-3hr. drive. Will test with Bluetooth & AUTO+CONNECT off. Will report on how it behaves.
Interesting....

In my case, I've never been able to get the AUTO+CONNECT app to work reliably, and I attribute that to the Fusion SW engineers never getting the Bluetooth profiles right. I've revised my Fusion software three times now (maybe four....I've lost count), and each time I've seen different behavior in the Bluetooth connection. I finally just punted because in addition to that weirdness, every time my Fusion gets turned off (either via the ignition or house power) it resets the BT to "OFF" so unless I manually go into the settings and turn it on, there's no connection between it and my phone.

I've been in the tech industry a looooong time, and I've never seen such awful software in a product that's considered to be "production" worthy. Early prototypes? Sure. But never in production. EVERYTHING is bad, from putting updates on their website that flat didn't work (see one of my previous posts on that little fiasco) to an update process that can brick the head unit and BT code that doesn't work. This last bit is really confusing because they're using Android OS which has BT modules already written for them! All they have to do is implement them correctly!!! I've seen incredibly cheap products coming out of China (IR/BT/WiFi blaster that's programmable and offers integration with Amazon's Alexa service to control every piece of A/V gear in my family room) that work 100x better than this Fusion head end.

I had high hopes that Garmin's purchase of Fusion would fix some of this, but nope, instead it seems to have gotten worse. How so? Now you can't get updates from the fusionentertainment.com site (given their history maybe this is a good thing?) and there's basically nothing about it on the Garmin site. I see at least one other RV manufacturer has adopted this product (Coachmen), so maybe they can add pressure to Garmin to get this tech cleaned up and stable. I think it has a lot of potential, but right now it's as buggy as a bait shop.....
Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Interesting....

every time my Fusion gets turned off (either via the ignition or house power) it resets the BT to "OFF" so unless I manually go into the settings and turn it on, there's no connection between it and my phone.

I've been in the tech industry a looooong time, and I've never seen such awful software in a product that's considered to be "production" worthy. Early prototypes? Sure. But never in production. EVERYTHING is bad, from putting updates on their website that flat didn't work (see one of my previous posts on that little fiasco) to an update process that can brick the head unit and BT code that doesn't work.
This is the first time I read about BT resetting to OFF. I have seen this too, but I never posted this question because until this morning, I thought it was user-caused (i.e. me not knowing how to navigate it's settings). But today, I confirmed it does reset BT to OFF most of the time I turn it off. I say "most of the time" because I think I have isolated combination of when this happens to me. Just went through sequence below 1/2 dozen times few minutes ago; however, it seems completely opposite of when your BT resets to OFF.
Ugggh!

- turn off ignition or house battery disconnect with Fusuion on, it retains BT setting when I turn ignition back on or reconnect house batteries.
- turn off Fusion from it's power button (upper right hand icon), then turn off ignition or disconnect house batteries. Turn on ignition or reconnect house batteries and Fusion resets BT setting to OFF.

Will report on whether this behaviourt stays consistent through a few days.

Yeah, same here, +35 yrs in Silicon Valley and based on things I have read, it does seem less than ready for primetime. I am crossing fingers that I only have to put up with the minor annoyances and not some of the major ones I have heard.

EDIT, just in case, it may help for others to know what F/W version I have.

Name:	20180415_170931-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	823.9 KB
ID:	308805
Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
EDIT, just in case, it may help for others to know what F/W version I have.
Attachment 308805
That looks a bit old. I think the current version is something like 3.1, although I haven't kept up on it because I've basically written off the Fusion as a tech experiment gone horribly wrong.....
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #14

Quote:
That looks a bit old. I think the current version is something like 3.1, although I haven't kept up on it because I've basically written off the Fusion as a tech experiment gone horribly wrong.....
Yes, it is old as WINDCHASER01 post also shows 3.1 . And my unit was delivered to dealer in Feb 2018. Here's something to ponder from one engineer to another - do you remember in the early days of the computer age or smartphones when the consumer dreaded the "new & improved" firmware because it meant more headaches? I hope that's not where this Fusion is headed. But, for me, since the weird stuff I am seeing is not catastrophic, I do not want to update to new firmware and make things worse. I am gonna sit for awhile unless it is absolutely necessary to update.