Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Is it possible to get a Nova Kool repaired?

My Nova Kool refer (in the 2015 Grand Tour, out of warranty) was intermittently not cooling, then stopped working all together. Think I can get anyone to repair? Airstream dealer said "Yep, it's not working...needs to be replaced". RV repair shop says same thing. True story is they have no interest (or ability) in trying to diagnose the problem. Nova Kool tech support says certainly repairable...if I can find someone to try. No authorized repair facility anywhere near. Conventional refrigerator repair guys hang up as soon as I mention "RV". Quote is $1300 and 7 weeks for a replacement refer. What the hell?
Tim
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Probably a do-it-yourself job if you can find the exact replacement model.

Here's a list of distributors from Nova Kools website. I'd see what kind of price they'd make you on a replacement. Seems like it should be way below the quote you were given.

http://www.novakool.com/distributors/default.htm

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
If you have the time and interest, repairing it yourself should be easily doable. While I have a trailer, most RV refrigerators are easily removable, your problem could just be air flow, which you would see once removed it, if actually a compressor failure if you are unsure about replacing yourself, once it you could easily take just the fridge to someone to replace just the part. So, the first thing is to get it out, check YouTube to see if someone else has it take a couple photos of the front and get recommendations here
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Speaking as the Queen of Refrigerator Angst both sea- and shore-based (here and more recently here), I offer the following:

(1) From your description of gradual failure, it doesn't sound like the "tin whiskers" problem (here) that has reportedly plagued some RV refrigerator models, chiefly Norcold. It sounds more like a compressor and/or sealed system issue. For the price point of the refrigerator, it may not be worth paying to repair it, unless you can DIY it, which probably would involve cracking the sealed system. Anyone who does that kind of work for money in Texas needs a technical license because of the refrigerant issue.

(2) If you go to the enormous hassle of replacing a whole RV refrigerator, it's such a P.I.T.A. job that you might want to think about switching models to one which has the highest perceived reliability. I relied on Lewster for that analysis, which is why I chose a Vitrifrigo (it wasn't the only one he mentioned - he was mostly choosing based on the presence of a Danfoss compressor model). Especially after reading the previous comment from the other user that the Norcold failure rate might be as high as 80%, I decided to go with what is known and not to experiment.

I'm not plugging for any given brand, but our Vitrifrigo has had zero problems in its first year of life. In my original blog post, I complained about lack of product support, but guess what?? Vitrifrigo subsequently found that post and reached out to me (hallelujah - that's what blogs are for). So if any U.S.-based person has questions about the brand, I recommend starting with this source:

Shryl Conner
Marketing & Sales Support
Phone: +1 (954) 979-7737
Fax +1 (954) 979-7740
Email: Shrylconner@vfamerica.com
VITRIFRIGO AMERICA LLC
2200 NW 32nd St. Suite 1200
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
Web: www.vfamerica.com

(3) Measure ten times, buy once. If you decide to switch brands to get a hopefully-better compressor, note that there are subtle dimensional differences across models that might otherwise appear the same size. Make sure a new one would fit, or that you can modify your cabinetry accordingly (which might be a big job).

Good luck - this will likely be a roaring inconvenience and expense for you whichever way you decide to go.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
This video may help. It sounds like your compressor is okay since it sometimes cools. If you're not comfortable doing the work, maybe someone you know is a DIY ninja and can do the job for you.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircruiser View Post
... It sounds like your compressor is okay since it sometimes cools. ...
That's the conventional wisdom, yes. But apparently today's compressor might not be yesterday's compressor... or something. I had a repair guy to our house yesterday morning to diagnose our 3-year-old stick-and-brick refrigerator, which now only cools to about 50 degrees (fridge) and 21 degrees (freezer). He said it was the compressor - no doubt about it. Obviously it's still getting cold, so I asked why it would be the compressor which is obviously still functioning to some degree? Why wouldn't it be a refrigerant level problem for instance? He just replied, "Experience" (i.e., his). Two weeks from now, we'll see if this "experience" theory pans out. That's when the replacement is scheduled.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
No va cool, it's Spanish

NovaCools may not work well, but they sure are expensive.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nova Kool has a lot of marine installations, especially yachts and cruising types. What you need is a marine refrigeration mechanic. As you are in the Bay Area, I suspect one or more is readily at hand somewhere between Monterey and SFO.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Did the OP ever make headway on his fridge repair?

I am reminded of this thread, as today is our Big Day to hopefully get our stick and brick fridge fixed, after waiting several weeks. Here's why this kind of repair work isn't the easiest DIY. Be careful playing with acetylene torches inside a residence. Or a Sprinter van.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Breakthrough!

After being told by two RV repair guys that the Nova Kool could not be repaired I tried one last time with Nova Kool tech support (this is post-warranty). Mario assured me that this is just a refrigerator (!) and it is foolish to claim unrepairable. Must be one of three things (two of which are quite expensive and may justify replacement). I said tell me the third one. He told me to disassemble the thermostat cover, remove the two connected wire clips, put a jumper between them, and see if the refer starts running. Voile! Started humming right away. Cost of a replacement thermostat (on its way from Nova Kool): $37.00.
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Excellent.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote