Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
iPad mounted in Interstate cab?

Has anyone successfully mounted an iPad anywhere in the cab of their Interstate? If so, how did you do it?

I recall Pahaska put in a mini-PC, but I do not remember anyone talking about iPad.

I'm going to semi-dedicate an old iPad to our OBD. I can't run music AND maps AND the OBD all on my iPhone - it involves too much fiddling to get from screen to screen. Plus Carplay does not recognize the OBD.

Especially with the new engine, I'm more fixated with keeping an eye on the real-time OBD read-out.

Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Ram mounts for ipad

You might check out ram mounts. They have multiple mounting solutions, and specific cradles for various iPad models.

https://www.rammount.com/consumer/brands/apple
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I have a Ram Mount for my iPhone and I love it

--BUT--

it will not stick to 3M Crystalline window tint. Nothing will. I've even attempted to GLUE that little sucker to the window and it STILL won't hold. 3M CR acts like it is Teflon.

Even with a mount, the question becomes where. The iPad is heavy.

If I had one of those little console tables I'd love to fabricate, a mount could clamp on the lip of it, and it could perch, with most of the weight then bearing on the table top, hence removing the moment arm issue. Hmmmm....
Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, this is an awkward photo, but you get the idea. Ideally, I'd find a low-profile bracket so that I could mount it here. And rotate / customize the display, of course. And run a power cord up there (easy).

I travel with the sun visor down almost 100% of the time, the exception being in very low-light conditions, so the visor would not interfere with it.

The headliner was not designed to bear that kind of weight, however, so I'd have to think this through, as to how it could be achieved.

Why aren't vehicles built more like bloody airplanes? There should be read-outs of every functional condition immediately available to the operator. If I'd had something like this in place, I might have spotted it sooner when things began going wrong with my now-replaced engine. Maybe I would have seen an incipient loss of compression in time to keep the piston from ruining the whole damned engine block.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Proclip has some interesting mounting options for 2007+ Sprinters. I’m not sure how/if any of them may work for the ‘06 IS but here is a couple of links...

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...-sprinter/2007

Of course, there are options for most tablets but here is a link to the iPad 4...

https://www.proclipusa.com/device/ta...s/apple-ipad-4

Hope these give you some ideas.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Las Cruces , New Mexico
iPad & Phone mounted in Interstate cab

Shortly after our purchase of the AI, search for a phone or iPad mount began. As referred to above, RAM mounts for us have been a mounting solution for all of our vehicles' "gadgets", and for the jacuzzi! The photos attached provide an illustration, but what is not shown is the RAM mount adapted for the RViBrake2 System monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	343704   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	343705  

JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Channeling Dana Carvey, I used to call it "that useless piece of plastic" (his 1995 HBO special was the single best comedic routine in human history, IMO).

That little open slot thingy in the T1N dash - what was that even intended for? I never did have any idea.

Well, how about this: husband carved a solid block of wood so that we could put the Ram mount on it and shove it in there. The trick to putting an iPad in this location is that it *floats above* the dash, thereby not cutting off access to any of the controls.

It's tricky to get those wooden plug angles correct so that it fits snugly, because the slot thingy is tapered. But worth the effort.

I haven't painted it yet - left the wood raw for visibility here.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Channeling Dana Carvey, I used to call it "that useless piece of plastic" (his 1995 HBO special was the single best comedic routine in human history, IMO).
George Carlin says hi!
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I removed that thing...would it hold a pack of cigs?...and replaced it with a piece of steel and then mounted my seat heater controls there.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Seat heaters... something we need on the Gulf Coast about as much as we need a baseball bat to the skull.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
I removed that thing...would it hold a pack of cigs?...and replaced it with a piece of steel and then mounted my seat heater controls there.
TINCAMPERS - My heater controls are mounted on the dash too, it's convenient
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Seat heaters... something we need on the Gulf Coast about as much as we need a baseball bat to the skull.

Yeah, but when you are in BC and it is 32 degrees, they are quite comfy. Otherwise, they do not affect anything when not is use.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I live in Southern California. Within a couple hundred miles I can get 4 seasons worth of climate and weather. Seat heaters (bun warmers per DW) and reliable air conditioning will get exercised heavily, often on the same day around here in the winter.

Gulf coast? Been there. Grew up in Florida. Try to avoid subjecting myself to that kind of humidity anymore.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Always road test your mods before setting out on a journey. I forgot about the potential for crossed nicols. The iPad's default assumption is landscape usage (movies, I presume). It cannot be used vertically with polarized sunglasses. Therefore, this became the interim final configuration, as opposed to what I showed above.

It's pretty cool - if I want to run into a store, I just yank the entire thing out of the dash hole, and stash it out of view. No need to unhook from the Ram mount.

Edit: You know what that means, right? It means I can eventually add a second receiver in the rear and mount it there for convenience as well.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #15
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
...It's pretty cool - if I want to run into a store, I just yank the entire thing out of the dash hole, and stash it out of view. No need to unhook from the Ram mount...
This gives me an idea for better cup holders... I currently have an insert that I use for the table. Easy to make another one for just cup holder use...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This gives me an idea for better cup holders... I currently have an insert that I use for the table. Easy to make another one for just cup holder use...
The T1N's cup holders are essentially on the floor. I thought about using them for such a device, but they are really too low for anything useful (including cups).
Old 07-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Looks like you have it solved.
I removed that little cigarette pack holder (or whatever it is) and installed my seat heaters (wonderful around here) and a voltmeter that I can switch between house and starter batteries (top right switch).

Below I fabricated an aluminum piece that holds an ‘on-off’ switch for my GPS/power outlet and a place for the power outlet added. Plus some USB outlets. All run off the house battery, but I can quickly switch on/off.

Below the cup holders is the controller for my hydraulic levelers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2C2B0C39-A943-46D1-8491-1F25765CA9CF.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	347958   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB4432CF-A6C6-476A-8D15-F48B5A577B39.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	347959  

Name:	E033478B-ABE9-48F7-9A80-0AD28B5D60A0.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	347960  
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Having boost information fed to me in real time has changed my driving habits substantially. I didn't realize previously how easy it was to hit maximum psi during normal driving. In mountainous areas, I've started driving by turbo rather than driving by speed limit. Where it is safe and non-disruptive to traffic to do so, this means that my speed is variable between about 35 mph and 75 mph.

People get annoyed at truckers because many of them engage in this same kind of variable speed behavior. But I've read that they are not doing that because they HAVE to, but because they WANT to, to minimize the stress on their engines. I get it now.

So, if the driving conditions allow it, I try to stay below 18 psi at all times. It may not help engine longevity that much - I don't know - but I doubt that it will hurt it.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interesting idea. Next time I'm out I'll have to plug in my code reader and see if I can find the boost pressure value. But I hafta wonder how many Sprinters give up the ghost because of a stress-related engine failure. I would guess that it is the nickel and dime (actually hundreds and thousands of dollars in the case of MB) repair bill that cause most Sprinters to be retired. I change my oil religiously, typically far more often than every 10,000 miles, because it is cheap insurance. But each time I do so I wonder if I am really extending the lifetime of the Sprinter.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I... But I hafta wonder how many Sprinters give up the ghost because of a stress-related engine failure. ....
But that's just it - ours essentially did, at about 73,000 miles. More or less.

In other words, by default conclusion, it wasn't normal operation that blew out the number one piston in our original engine. I don't know exactly WHAT it was, but I feel safe in concluding that (1) always being close to GVWR and (2) being close to maximum boost more often than I realized did not help our situation. If I can control one of those variables going forward, my tendency is to do it.