Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
New Member
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
West Lafayette , Indiana
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Invertor not working

My Magnum inverter on my 2014 AI is giving me some problems that and i could use some advise. Made a trip over the holidays to FL and my house batteries went dead and i wasn't able to get them recharged. I visited a dealer in FT Myers and they were able to reset the magnum inverter and get the batteries recharged. All was well once i was on a utility (and had some FL sun), but then the inverter display said "No Comm." I tried resetting it per the manual and tried resetting just like the "pros" in FT Myers but was not able to get the inverter to operate, and finally the display went blank with no red or green lights. I traveled home from FL with the house batteries staying charged (which was different then the trip down?) but inverter did not work, which meant no TV (four kids, serious problem for me).

Any advise on this inverter issue, is there a way for me to reset it? did i blow a fuse?
__________________

__________________
cbg indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
Welcome to the Air Forums.

There was a thread where Lewster posted some explicit instructions on the new Magnum inverter settings. Try searching the forum. I believe it was in a thread dealing w/ solar panels.
__________________

__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg indiana View Post
My Magnum inverter on my 2014 AI is giving me some problems that and i could use some advise. Made a trip over the holidays to FL and my house batteries went dead and i wasn't able to get them recharged. I visited a dealer in FT Myers and they were able to reset the magnum inverter and get the batteries recharged. All was well once i was on a utility (and had some FL sun), but then the inverter display said "No Comm." I tried resetting it per the manual and tried resetting just like the "pros" in FT Myers but was not able to get the inverter to operate, and finally the display went blank with no red or green lights. I traveled home from FL with the house batteries staying charged (which was different then the trip down?) but inverter did not work, which meant no TV (four kids, serious problem for me).

Any advise on this inverter issue, is there a way for me to reset it? did i blow a fuse?
PM Sent
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
BikerBill
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 239
Quick thought when it says "No Comm" I seem to remember there is a "telephone like cable" from the panel to the inverter. Similar ends to telephone cord. Maybe you should check to make sure it is still connected properly at both ends.
__________________
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Quick thought when it says "No Comm" I seem to remember there is a "telephone like cable" from the panel to the inverter. Similar ends to telephone cord. Maybe you should check to make sure it is still connected properly at both ends.
That would have been my initial thoughts, but if the remote was showing a message, then it was getting some power from the inverter, as it is not self powered.

Here is the PM that I sent to the OP, which others might find useful:

Hi there!

I am also a factory authorized Magnum service center. There are several issues that may be happening, but unless you are handy with a DC volt meter, you will not be able to give me the information that I need for proper diagnostics.

Several questions anyway:

which inverter do you have (model)
which remote do you have ME-RC or ME-MR
There are several re-set methods, one being a 'soft' re-set and the other a 'hard' re-set.

A soft re-set is simply finding the little grey re-set button on the control face of the unit. Push and hold until the green LED adjacent to it begins to flash quickly. hold an additional 10 seconds before releasing. Check the remote control panel to see if it is working.

A hard re-set involves removing all power from the inverter from 15 minutes, including communication cables. The easiest way to do this is to find the inverter fuse and remove it. Next, be sure that the circuit breaker labeled 'Inverter' is in the off position and you are not connected to shore power or generator.

Next, remove the telephone style cable from the inverter and be sure to mark which port you took it from.If you have the temperature compensation probe, remove that communication cable also. Wait 15 minutes and re-connect everything.

There IS a possibility that you blew the inverter fuse. The proper way to check this fuse is to test for 12VDC on either side of the fuse, as it can give false positives with a continuity test. There is also a circuit breaker on the inverter body which pops out when it has been tripped. Look for this also.

There is also the rare possibility that something in the inverter has shorted and you need to have it serviced at a Magnum service center. You can see a listing of authorized magnum service centers here:Authorized Service Centers - Magnum Energy, Inc.

Let me know how you make out!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
New Member
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
West Lafayette , Indiana
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks Lewster for the pm info that you also posted.
-my remote is the ME-MR
-I tried the soft reset earlier, but i was never able to get the green LED to light or flash?
-For the hard reset: where is this inverter fuse located?


-FYI bikerbill: i did try the "telephone cable" several times on both ends. Sometimes when i tried that it would act like it was going to start working but then would go back to No Comm reading.
__________________
cbg indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg indiana View Post
Thanks Lewster for the pm info that you also posted.
-my remote is the ME-MR
-I tried the soft reset earlier, but i was never able to get the green LED to light or flash?
-For the hard reset: where is this inverter fuse located?


-FYI bikerbill: i did try the "telephone cable" several times on both ends. Sometimes when i tried that it would act like it was going to start working but then would go back to No Comm reading.
There should be 2 fuses attached to the coach floor behind the vertical wall that separates the inverter and electrical from the rear storage area. They should be just to the left and below the BIM solenoid (The large can-shaped device on the left wall that has the large cables going to and from it).

I think Airstream is using 200 amp fuses now, and there will be 2 of them: one for the BIM and one for the inverter, which should be marked.

How long did you hold in the reset button. Sometimes it can take up to 30 seconds for the LED indicator to start flashing.
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frig 110 Volt running on invertor on the road? airdreamers Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 8 07-03-2014 07:46 AM
Help! Battery not charging, outlets not working when plugged in AirGal04 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 9 06-06-2014 10:15 PM
pump not working... Chuck Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 23 05-16-2007 10:44 AM
Refrigerator on Invertor moosetags Refrigerators 21 04-30-2007 07:35 PM
vent fans missing/not working Rog0525 Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 2 07-02-2002 05:23 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.