Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Inverter Help Please

I am getting a "no comm" fault on the ems screen. I disconnected and re-connected the phone cables, both and no help. It sure would be easier if the seat came off so I could access the inverter but my hands can barely fit in the compartment with the seat on....any suggestions. I started the vehicle to charge the batt so they won't go below 50% and followed the procedure in the EMS book to try and get it to re-set. Any help would be appreciated. 2016 grand tour.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Don’t know why this helps, but when mine has done that, I flip the battery disconnect switch off then back on and seems to clear the fault. (I’m certain you will get a better answer, but that fix seems to work for us)
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Don’t know why this helps, but when mine has done that, I flip the battery disconnect switch off then back on and seems to clear the fault. (I’m certain you will get a better answer, but that fix seems to work for us)
It works because your coach has SB-164 installed, so by turning the disconnect off and on, you are fully removing power from the inverter and giving it another try to get the communication with the remote set up right. For the OP, it's unclear if his '16 has that Service Bulletin because that was the transition year for it. So....it's the old routine of lift the seat with one hand, hold the flashlight with the other hand, and use your third hand to hold down the little on/off button to reset the inverter:

4.3 Resetting the Inverter Under some fault conditions (i.e., an internal fault), the inverter will need to be reset. To reset the inverter:

1. Press and hold the Power ON/OFF pushbutton (Figure 1-3, Item 2) for approximately 15 seconds, or until the Status LED (Figure 1-3, Item 1) comes on and fl ashes.
2. Release the Power ON/OFF pushbutton once the fl ashing has begun. The Status LED will go off.
3. Press the Power ON/OFF pushbutton again to turn on the inverter.

Info: The Power ON/OFF pushbutton is a small momentary type switch—operated by lightly pressing and releasing.

To the OP: If the above procedure doesn't work, unfortunately it means a trip to your dealer to see if your inverter has failed. Since you have a '16, depending on when you bought it, you may still be under warranty.

Good luck!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Harrisville , Michigan
The problem I see is that the LED light on the inverter will not go on....flash or anything else even when I hold the reset switch for 15 seconds. I checked the connection behind the wall magnum display un plugging and plugging back in the "phone" line and did the same on the blue communication port on the inverter itself.

I manually disconnected the power and did it all again with the coach plugged in and unplugged from shore power.

Ughh.....the dealer is 4 hours away!!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Inverter Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
The problem I see is that the LED light on the inverter will not go on....flash or anything else even when I hold the reset switch for 15 seconds. I checked the connection behind the wall magnum display un plugging and plugging back in the "phone" line and did the same on the blue communication port on the inverter itself.

I manually disconnected the power and did it all again with the coach plugged in and unplugged from shore power.

Ughh.....the dealer is 4 hours away!!

If the LED on the inverter will not lite it sounds like there is no power to inverter. If you have the SB164 solenoid perhaps it has failed and no power is going to the inverter.

Edited out my lounge description as I see you have a GT model.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If the LED on the inverter will not lite it sounds like there is no power to inverter. If you have the SB164 solenoid perhaps it has failed and no power is going to the inverter.

Edited out my lounge description as I see you have a GT model.
Thanks Mike,

The dealer is having me trickle charge the house batteries in the event they went below 50% while we were in Florida...they may have and I've been told once they do the batteries are shot! Before I drive 4 hours I may replace both house batteries with interstate's that can be drained below 50% and then will re-charge back to full. He said the solenoid will not turn on the inverter without enough power.

Does anyone know what interstates I can swap out? Size?
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Thanks Mike,

The dealer is having me trickle charge the house batteries in the event they went below 50% while we were in Florida...they may have and I've been told once they do the batteries are shot! Before I drive 4 hours I may replace both house batteries with interstate's that can be drained below 50% and then will re-charge back to full. He said the solenoid will not turn on the inverter without enough power.

Does anything in the house work (lights, etc)? To Mike’s point, if the LED on the inverter isn’t on, it’s not getting power. On my coach, there are two very large (150A) fuses between the batteries and the inverter. Can you confirm that you’re getting power all the way from your batteries to the inverter? Even if your batteries are low, you should still see some voltage at the inverter input.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Does anything in the house work (lights, etc)? To Mike’s point, if the LED on the inverter isn’t on, it’s not getting power. On my coach, there are two very large (150A) fuses between the batteries and the inverter. Can you confirm that you’re getting power all the way from your batteries to the inverter? Even if your batteries are low, you should still see some voltage at the inverter input.
Yes the lights go on when plugged into shore power AND when unplugged so I am assuming the coach is getting power. The weird thing is that the LED light on the inverter is off even after I reset the power button for 15 seconds. Plugged in or unplugged the power light on the inverter is NOT on???? I'm hoping the solenoid the dealer talked about to turn it on is because of low power. The trickle charger says the batteries are only 25% even though the solar panel says they are charged 85%....
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Yes the lights go on when plugged into shore power AND when unplugged so I am assuming the coach is getting power. The weird thing is that the LED light on the inverter is off even after I reset the power button for 15 seconds. Plugged in or unplugged the power light on the inverter is NOT on???? I'm hoping the solenoid the dealer talked about to turn it on is because of low power. The trickle charger says the batteries are only 25% even though the solar panel says they are charged 85%....
There are 2 fuses between the batteries and the inverter. If the fuse at the batteries is good, you'll get power to lights, etc., but if the fuse that's closer to the inverter has blown, you won't get power to the inverter. Can you confirm that fuse is OK? You can check with a voltmeter either at the inverter-side of the fuse or at the inverter input.

To get to it, it's easiest to just remove the seat cushion for that jump seat (remove 4 nuts and it pops right off) and then remove the mesh cover that's under the seat (should be 3 screws holding it on). Follow the 1/0 cable from the inverter input back towards the breaker panel and you'll see that it goes to a 150A fuse. That's the one that you need to check. If it's good and you've got power all the way to the inverter but the inverter power LED is out, well, chances are pretty high the inverter died.

If that's the case, you have two choices. If you're still under warranty, you might want to take it back to the dealer and get it replaced. If not, you may want to take it as an opportunity to upgrade the inverter to something more reasonable like the Xantrex Freedom HFS 2055. It's a 2000W inverter and I think it will fit in the same space as the Magnum (measure first!). The beauty of this little beast is it can run the microwave, a coffee pot, etc., so you won't have to run the generator for those things. Just a thought.....

Oh, and assuming you still have the Atkinson "Solar Explorer" (or whatever it's called), I wouldn't believe it and I'd believe the trickle charger re. the state of charge of the batteries.....
Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks Mike,

Going below 50% does not destroy the batteries. How much they are damaged depends on how long they are left in the depleted state. Either way it just tends to shorten their useful life and should recover after a good long recharge.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Regarding the invertor reset: I have never had to do one but I saw that I would have to remove the seat back and cushion to do it. So I cut an access hole in the panel behind the flip-down door that is used to access the fuses. I can reach through and push the on-off button - if/when I need to.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Regarding the invertor reset: I have never had to do one but I saw that I would have to remove the seat back and cushion to do it. So I cut an access hole in the panel behind the flip-down door that is used to access the fuses. I can reach through and push the on-off button - if/when I need to.
On mine I don't have to remove anything to reset it. Tip the seat base up and poke a pen/pencil through the mesh to depress the on/off switch per the instructions listed above. Admittedly it's a PITA to do, but I've done it when I had a COMM issue and it sorted itself upon reset.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
If you tried to reset the Magnum with the shore power plugged in, it may have fried a board inside, as happened to mine, when I was trying to fumble around trying to turn it on not knowing that the Sb164 solenoid has cut power to it, all I heard was a zap and burnt smell afterwards. The owner manual did not mention it for the MMS-1012 but on the larger unit 2012 it does.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
If you tried to reset the Magnum with the shore power plugged in, it may have fried a board inside, as happened to mine, when I was trying to fumble around trying to turn it on not knowing that the Sb164 solenoid has cut power to it, all I heard was a zap and burnt smell afterwards. The owner manual did not mention it for the MMS-1012 but on the larger unit 2012 it does.
I did unplug the shore power when I was trying to reset it and when I disconnected the phone cords to the blue com port. Nothing. Then the dealer said to plug it back into shore power and try to reset.....Nothing. Then he said to unplug shore power for 30 seconds and plug back in....Nothing. Guess it's a trip to the dealer. Wish there was one closer than grand rapids.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Hilliard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
When this occurred, did you have the unit repaired or replace with something new? Same pop/sizzle happened to mine over the last weekend when I pulled the batteries to add new, but also plugged into shore power. Inverter did not work, so I pressed the restart and watched the smoke come out the rear. Currently nothing works in the coach unless I run the engine. No batteries or shore power works.
MWallOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallOhio View Post
When this occurred, did you have the unit repaired or replace with something new? Same pop/sizzle happened to mine over the last weekend when I pulled the batteries to add new, but also plugged into shore power. Inverter did not work, so I pressed the restart and watched the smoke come out the rear. Currently nothing works in the coach unless I run the engine. No batteries or shore power works.

Sorry to hear that, due to a planned trip I bought a new one on Amazon for $795 with 3 day shipping but before throwing the old one away, I called Magnum service center and the quote was $300 for the board plus labor, so it’s repairable if you are willing to wait. It really sucks that there’s no warning on the unit ⚠️
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallOhio View Post
No smoke or smell on mine....just a dead inverter as of now. Still under warranty so I'm going to make an appt. at the dealer and they will replace with something. I may ask about upgrading to the xantax if it looks better.

So, I can get my shades fixed and the inverter. Hope the dealer will order ahead of time so I can drive the 4 hours and wait for the coach then head to the lake to camp for a night......
Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
For safety, I keep my inverter constantly turned off. It has only been turned on on twice in the 16 months I have owned the AI. I have checked twice to see if a load coming up on one of the TV outlets will be detected and turn on the AC.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Hilliard , Ohio
Inside a fried Magnum MMS1012. Looking to replace instead of repair due to age. Shows Oct/14 on side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	624AA3C4-0912-403E-A15E-7032504C468E.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	310728   Click image for larger version

Name:	2381F3A3-FC4A-4555-9F5D-461C841CC3EB.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	310729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	653F9950-D234-49E8-A565-EEC92DB13C84.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	310730   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF6DF6C4-374E-4F8A-BAE0-813EA576D6BC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	310731  

MWallOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
I had s similar proproblem also with my interstate. I ran the batteries down and got the same error. I pushed the reset Button.I tried the charging the batteries back up by driving then I tried plugging into shore power nothing helped Then I started my generator and the error message went away I have no idea why but just happy all is working again.
Bill211 is offline   Reply With Quote