Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallOhio View Post
Inside a fried Magnum MMS1012. Looking to replace instead of repair due to age. Shows Oct/14 on side.

Not sure where the Magnum is on your year/model (I have a '17 Lounge), but if I were in your shoes, I would take it as an opportunity to correct a design limitation and replace it with a larger capacity unit. Being able to run more of your coach without having to turn on the genny is a huge convenience IMO, and since you have to replace it anyway, why not go bigger.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Hilliard , Ohio
In replacing, Ive looked at AM Solar kits and also piece meal approach. 100w solar panel also looks bad, and aware solar controler is not efficient. Im looking to update all parts to 2-3 solar, panels larger inverter, controlers,, etc. 2 AGM’s under coach also dead so plan to replace with new Type 24 since 2 racks already exist. Ive measured rear box to add 2-4 6volt inside, vent and have more battery compacity. Many items in plan.
MWallOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallOhio View Post
In replacing, Ive looked at AM Solar kits and also piece meal approach. 100w solar panel also looks bad, and aware solar controler is not efficient. Im looking to update all parts to 2-3 solar, panels larger inverter, controlers,, etc. 2 AGM’s under coach also dead so plan to replace with new Type 24 since 2 racks already exist. Ive measured rear box to add 2-4 6volt inside, vent and have more battery compacity. Many items in plan.

Nice!

You should document your project on the forum so others can learn from what you do. Sounds like a great series of upgrades!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
I am almost convinced the problem is ;my batteries. Went to try turning on the generator to charge up the batteries and nothing. I plugged back in to shore power and got the generator running and the batteries showed 40% charge and are now up to 55% after a half hour.

I am going to continue running to see if the comm error goes away but before I drive 4 hours for service I'm going to replace the batteries on Monday with some interstate batteries. Does anyone know the correct interstate batteries to go in?

Mine is a 2016.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
I am almost convinced the problem is ;my batteries. Went to try turning on the generator to charge up the batteries and nothing. I plugged back in to shore power and got the generator running and the batteries showed 40% charge and are now up to 55% after a half hour.

I am going to continue running to see if the comm error goes away but before I drive 4 hours for service I'm going to replace the batteries on Monday with some interstate batteries. Does anyone know the correct interstate batteries to go in?

Mine is a 2016.

The Interstate Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine/RV at Costco will fit, for about $83 apiece just make sure to bring in the old ones or they charge you another $30 disposal fee each
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
I plugged back in to shore power and got the generator running and the batteries showed 40% charge and are now up to 55% after a half hour.

I am going to continue running to see if the comm error goes away.

Hmmn, you don’t need to run the generator to charge the batteries when you are plugged in to shore power. Agreed with you that the weak batteries could not start the generator.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Does anyone know the correct interstate batteries to go in?

Mine is a 2016.

Does the '16 have the battery tray under the coach like the '17+ or are they in the back like the '15-?

In either case, measure where they go and if they physically fit, any Group 24 Deep Cycle AGM battery will work. If you have the tray underneath, take particular care in measuring the width. A quick look at the Interstate shows them to be about 1/4" wider than the Lifelines, so they may not fit. Not sure how tight the tolerances are for the models with the batteries in the box in the rear of the coach, so you might be OK with that type.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill211 View Post
I had s similar proproblem also with my interstate. I ran the batteries down and got the same error. I pushed the reset Button.I tried the charging the batteries back up by driving then I tried plugging into shore power nothing helped Then I started my generator and the error message went away I have no idea why but just happy all is working again.
Rookie move on my part... came back from taking the AI to lunch with a some co-workers, doing a little show and tell. When I got back home I didn't plug it back in. Went out three days later and the house batteries were dead. I plugged it in and got the same error. I did a few different things, power disconnect and started the AI. The error message went away. None of those were what was recommended in the manual under that error message. I didn't start the generator.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Does the '16 have the battery tray under the coach like the '17+ or are they in the back like the '15-?

In either case, measure where they go and if they physically fit, any Group 24 Deep Cycle AGM battery will work. If you have the tray underneath, take particular care in measuring the width. A quick look at the Interstate shows them to be about 1/4" wider than the Lifelines, so they may not fit. Not sure how tight the tolerances are for the models with the batteries in the box in the rear of the coach, so you might be OK with that type.
If batteries are located underneath, also check the height of the battery. See my earlier post of need to modify the holding bracket for none Lifeline batteries.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Princess View Post
If batteries are located underneath, also check the height of the battery. See my earlier post of need to modify the holding bracket for none Lifeline batteries.
Low & Behold..... after running the gen for an hour I go back out to the coach & the error is gone!!! Thank you. Now I’m sure it’s the batteries causing the problem . I bought the coach new in 2017..(2016 model) and this did happen about 2 month after purchase.... again while in Florida and now.

I’m guessing bad batteries from the start. Thanks for all your the help..

BTW, the batteries on the 2026 are under the coach, drivers side rear.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Low & Behold..... after running the gen for an hour I go back out to the coach & the error is gone!!! Thank you. Now I’m sure it’s the batteries causing the problem . I bought the coach new in 2017..(2016 model) and this did happen about 2 month after purchase.... again while in Florida and now.

I’m guessing bad batteries from the start. Thanks for all your the help..

BTW, the batteries on the 2026 are under the coach, drivers side rear.

You bought your coach during the "transition" year with regard to whether you needed to keep the Main Disconnect ON or OFF in order for shore power to charge the batteries. With the 15's and earlier, it didn't matter, so that's what the dealers were used to (so they left it off). When the new coaches started showing up, they just plugged them in to keep them charged but SURPRISE, the batteries were all dying. They finally learned that AS made a subtle change and included SB-164 as standard fitment, so now they needed to keep the Main Disconnect ON to keep the coach batteries topped up. As a result, during this transition, MANY AI's were delivered with damaged house batteries (they don't like being discharged below 50%, and many were well below that). Unfortunately, you may be a member of that group, and unknown to you were delivered a coach with dodgy batteries from day 1. Have you noticed poor house battery performance up until now, like they discharge abnormally fast, or refuse to charge past a certain voltage? This may confirm that your batteries were never any good and they do indeed need to be replaced.....
Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
You bought your coach during the "transition" year with regard to whether you needed to keep the Main Disconnect ON or OFF in order for shore power to charge the batteries. With the 15's and earlier, it didn't matter, so that's what the dealers were used to (so they left it off). When the new coaches started showing up, they just plugged them in to keep them charged but SURPRISE, the batteries were all dying. They finally learned that AS made a subtle change and included SB-164 as standard fitment, so now they needed to keep the Main Disconnect ON to keep the coach batteries topped up. As a result, during this transition, MANY AI's were delivered with damaged house batteries (they don't like being discharged below 50%, and many were well below that). Unfortunately, you may be a member of that group, and unknown to you were delivered a coach with dodgy batteries from day 1. Have you noticed poor house battery performance up until now, like they discharge abnormally fast, or refuse to charge past a certain voltage? This may confirm that your batteries were never any good and they do indeed need to be replaced.....
So with 2017 model (2016 sprinter chassis) I need the Main Disconnect on as well? I usually have it on when home (basically just keeping the refrig cold and the Fantastic Fan on).
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
So with 2017 model (2016 sprinter chassis) I need the Main Disconnect on as well? I usually have it on when home (basically just keeping the refrig cold and the Fantastic Fan on).

Yes, in order for the Magnum to charge the batteries, the Main Disconnect must be ON for your model year (same as mine).