Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Question Inverter/Chargers

Background. We purchased a nice 2013 AI in July. I have been following the Sprinter threads with interest - good information for newbies like us. The Lifeline batteries are obviously history and I have two new ones coming from a Lifeline distributor. Our coach has a factory 100w solar setup. And it has a Tripp Lite inverter/charger and most of the posts I'm reading refers to Magnum units.

Question. Does anyone know or think they know why Airstream switched from Tripp Lite to Magnum?
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
Question. Does anyone know or think they know why Airstream switched from Tripp Lite to Magnum?
Magnums are better, but that's probably not why they switched.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
2013 Airstream Interstate had 50w solar.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Admittedly Airstream is prone to running changes, but are you certain you have the original 2013 AI solar setup? My 2013 AI has a 50W solar panel and a Magnum controller.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
No, I'm not sure. I was told 100w by the original owner, but... The window sticker listed a Tripp Lite Converter/Inverter - 45 Amp Charger/750 Watt invtr and there is an addtitional charge for a solar panel @ $1307.00.
I had assumed the additional charge was for upgrading from a 50 to a 100w panel. And I know I shouldn't assume.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
No, I'm not sure. I was told 100w by the original owner, but... The window sticker listed a Tripp Lite Converter/Inverter - 45 Amp Charger/750 Watt invtr and there is an addtitional charge for a solar panel @ $1307.00.
I had assumed the additional charge was for upgrading from a 50 to a 100w panel. And I know I shouldn't assume.

The 50W panel was a option for earlier years, not sure when it or the 100W panels became standard.

Airstream told me that they changed to Magnum because they changed the generator and the new one wasn't compatible w/ the Tripplite.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
My 2012 FC 28ft has a 106W system installed at the build. Two panels each 53w each.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The 50W panel was a option for earlier years, not sure when it or the 100W panels became standard.

Airstream told me that they changed to Magnum because they changed the generator and the new one wasn't compatible w/ the Tripplite.
So you're thinking my Onan 2.5 KW Quiet MicroLite LP Generator/Remote Starter is different from newer AIs with the Magnum inverters?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If what Jim Parrett told me is accurate, then yes.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Remote start...

It may be the remote start feature itself that makes the difference.
Not all inverter's support an intelligent remote start where the generator will start based upon a command generated by the inverter... either to provide additional AC power or to recharge a low battery (or both).

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I don't know why they changed from the Tripplite to the Magnum, but I know why you should, too.

The Tripplite is a "dumb" charger. It will overcharge your AGM Lifelines, for one thing, and ruin them. The Magnum can be left plugged into shore power, and knows when to bulk charge or float charge. The Magnum is a pure sine wave inverter; the Tripplite is a modified sine wave. This may have some bearing on some electronic devices that don't do well with modified sine wave inverters. The Magnum has a much better status report as to the condition of the batteries, and with the remote, a much better way to control it, and know what exactly going on with the house batteries.

I made the switch on my 2011 and am glad I did. Highly recommended.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #12

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
Not all inverter's support an intelligent remote start where the generator will start based upon a command generated by the inverter… either to provide additional AC power or to recharge a low battery (or both)
My 2013 has the Magnum Inverter, but there is no automatic start. Probably another case of what parts Airstream had in stock when they assembled the unit.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
Not all inverter's support an intelligent remote start where the generator will start based upon a command generated by the inverter... either to provide additional AC power or to recharge a low battery (or both).

Chuck
I am a little confused. My 2015 does not have an intelligent remote start only a remote start. Is this simply something the Magnum is capable of doing or am I missing something? Thanks
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The device you are asking about is called an auto generator start, or AGS.

Airstream has never included an AGS device in any Interstate. They can be added without too much difficulty if you have the Magnum inverter/ charger.

The can be set to actuate your generator for either a low battery voltage situation or a high ambient temperature condition. If the door A/C is set, the ambient temp sensor of the AGS will fire up the genny so you have 120VAC power and the A/C will then operate to cool down the coach.

Magnum lists their AGS as the ME-AGS-N ( for network).

Other very useful upgrades are the remote temperature sensor and the programmable ME-RC remote.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Seabrook Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I don't know why they changed from the Tripplite to the Magnum, but I know why you should, too.

The Tripplite is a "dumb" charger. It will overcharge your AGM Lifelines, for one thing, and ruin them. The Magnum can be left plugged into shore power, and knows when to bulk charge or float charge. The Magnum is a pure sine wave inverter; the Tripplite is a modified sine wave. This may have some bearing on some electronic devices that don't do well with modified sine wave inverters. The Magnum has a much better status report as to the condition of the batteries, and with the remote, a much better way to control it, and know what exactly going on with the house batteries.

I made the switch on my 2011 and am glad I did. Highly recommended.
How much did it cost you to switch to the Magnum from the Tripp Lite? Did you do it yourself or have dealer install it? I have Tripp Lite in my 2012 and am having battery issues. the house batteries will charge up to 14 on the meter but will rapidly go down to between 10 and 11 once I turn off generator and start using lights and appliances. Not sure whether the batteries ran down too low or were overcharged.
Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Asheville,

PM me for done explicit Magnum information that applies to your situation.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 10-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Around $785, but I bought it at Jackson Center. I had to buy the temperature kit separately along with the remote,m off Amazon so add $150 or so to that. I did the install myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
How much did it cost you to switch to the Magnum from the Tripp Lite? Did you do it yourself or have dealer install it? I have Tripp Lite in my 2012 and am having battery issues. the house batteries will charge up to 14 on the meter but will rapidly go down to between 10 and 11 once I turn off generator and start using lights and appliances. Not sure whether the batteries ran down too low or were overcharged.
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have a 'mildly' used one available if interested.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 10-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Seabrook Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I have a 'mildly' used one available if interested.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
I would be interested in your mildly used one. What is the model number and how much do you want for it?
Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Inverter/Chargers

PM me please as I don't discuss pricing on the open Forums.

THANKS!

Lew Farber
541-490-6357