Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Inverter/charger upgrade questions

Those that have upgraded their inverter/charger from the Magnum MMS1012 1000W Inverter with 50 Amp Charger...
  1. What did you go to? I would like to go to at least a 2000W Pure Sine Inverter/Charger unit...
  2. How difficult was the upgrade?
  3. Easy as swapping original unit?
  4. Wiring had to be upgraded as well?
  5. Anything else I will have to take into consideration?
  6. What triggered your need to upgrade?

My AI will have 300 W of solar (will see if I can add one more panel for 400 W total), and four house batteries (AGM Lifeline - GPL-24T).

I searched a few threads, and folks mentioned upgrading but not what specific brand/model they went with. There is one specific appliance that I would like to run and it is 1700 Watts... I don't want to have to fire up the generator just to use that appliance.

Thank you in advanced for the info!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Check out the Xantrex Freedom HFS 2055. IB May have used this in his upgrade but I can’t remember.

Couple reasons to like this one:

- Size! In theory, it will fit in the same spot as the Magnum.

- Capacity. 2055W. Should be enough to run the microwave which for most is the largest load they will put on it. Note in order to do that you’ll need to re-wire the microwave so it comes off the inverter and not off the AC bus.

- Remote. It comes with a nice remote that you can extend via phone cable to the front cabinet where the Magnum remote now sits. You may even be able to re-use the Magnum remote cable. I’d have to look into that. If not then you’ll need to pull new cable or just mount the remote in the back.

- Quality? Xantrex used to be quality gear, but I’ve heard rumors of them slipping lately. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We installed the Xantrex Freedom XI 2000W inverter, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNXUIG6..._WsPlAb3WKBP6C

With the Easy-Start module on our A/C, we can run that too but I have to open the cabinet or it will overheat after about an hour. Our model doesn’t have a charger because I wanted separate charging and discharging paths for our Lithium battery conversion. As for cables, I used massive 4/0 cables but they’re a bit oversized.

I’m not sure what is on the newer vans or where they put it but the swap should be much easier than what we did. If you have space for the unit, easy access, and remade cables it could be a very easy swap that takes less than an hour. If you’re trying to shoe horn it into a compartment that is already full requiring you to relocate plumbing, batteries, and ALL your DC loads, it could take 6 months worth of weekends. :-)
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

I personally like either the Magnum MS-2012 2000 watt inverter/charger with the 100 amp charger of the Victron 3000/12 2400 watt inverter/charger with their 100 watt charging section, as I install both regularly.

Either one will be great for your AI and will give you years of reliable service. Plus, if you ever have a problem with the unit, a simple call to either Magnum or Victron will usually fix the issue.

I don't like anything made by Xantrex. They used to be a good company but their focus now is making $$$$$, NOT providing for the customer.

Just my opinion!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I installed the Magnum MS-2012 that lewster recommended. I installed it in the space where the battery box was located. I moved the batteries under the van, four 6V Lifeline AGM batteries, on a custom made rack. The battery and inverter/charger upgrade combined with 400 watts of solar make my Interstate a very capable camping rig.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Thank you all for comments and recommendations.

I can see myself replacing it with the Xantrex unit since it seems to be able to go in the same location with very little issues/modifications... and cost to do so is very tempting...

I do not see myself doing the install of the other units... I am inclined to go with the Victron because of all the great feedback I see here and with the Marine and Solar home setups... Sending PM to Lew for a quote and time slot....

Thank you all again!
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I do not see myself doing the install of the other units... I am inclined to go with the Victron because of all the great feedback I see here and with the Marine and Solar home setups... Sending PM to Lew for a quote and time slot....

Thank you all again!
You can never go wrong with Victron, or Lew!!!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
You can never go wrong with Victron, or Lew!!!
My only concern for not doing it myself is location of where this until will need to be installed and what that would mean in terms of wiring and modifications...

As much as I like to do it myself, this might be one task that I have an expert do it for me...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Lewster is our resident expert. He spends his winters in Florida so you may wish to schedule with him.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
A +1 on “Lewster”. He stuffed about 100# of Victron and Magnum gear into a 20# “bag” in the back of my AI. Quite satisfied!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Thank you all for comments and recommendations.

I can see myself replacing it with the Xantrex unit since it seems to be able to go in the same location with very little issues/modifications... and cost to do so is very tempting...
That was the overriding choice for me. The Xantrex is priced right and I managed to fit it in the same space I had for the Magnum although I did have to make some modifications.

Note that to make use of it, you would want to put more circuits on it like the microwave, etc. That then requires more modifications. As with LB_3, I did mine as part of a full reconfiguration for Lithium power.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #12

Orlando , Florida
Well... there is my plan... there is God's plan... and then there is my wife's...

This modification is on hold. Seem the finance department at home put her foot down on spending until further noticed....

But the plan is to install the Victron 3000/12 2400 kit. Had the exchange with Lew and will pick this up again when the wife is distracted...

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Well... there is my plan... there is God's plan... and then there is my wife's...

This modification is on hold. Seem the finance department at home put her foot down on spending until further noticed....

But the plan is to install the Victron 3000/12 2400 kit. Had the exchange with Lew and will pick this up again when the wife is distracted...

wachuko - enjoying your posts - they are a real hoot. But as others have mentioned it's always good to live with your Interstate for a few months before starting the mods.

Have fun!
- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
wachuko - enjoying your posts - they are a real hoot. But as others have mentioned it's always good to live with your Interstate for a few months before starting the mods.

Have fun!
- - Mike
Mike,

I know, I know... the inverter/charger was on the list of future projects, but was trying to do it early to be done with all mods that I wanted... this one was on the I-would-like category instead of the must-have... so not pushing back with Mara on doing it later...

They other mods I am doing immediately because those are, based on the threads and feedback in the forum, things that frustrate and just take away from having a positive experience. Why would I wait to have issues with battery charging and fix it later, knowing about the issue now? Plus they are easy fixes/improvements to implement (I think they are easy...will know this weekend when I start installing them, hehehe).

And a lot of it is the excitement of a newbie that needs to be controlled.... I try... but not always succeed in the control... wife quickly steps in when she starts seeing so many boxes arrive... Which is what happened last night when she saw me in front of the computer looking at the inverter install kit.... her reaction was along the lines of "YOU ARE NOT BUYING ANOTHER ANYTHING FOR THE RV!!" I mean... she did not yell... just sounded like that in my head... it was more of "I will hurt you if you buy one more #@%#$ thing" in a serious, almost threatening tone
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
As far as upgrade order, I can't imagine wanting to go with a 3 KW inverter with the stock batteries. You are talking about 300 amps being pulled which likely cause those batteries drain and damage themselves in a hurry. You also need impeccable installation skills as to not cause large voltage drops and heat generated at every connection. Wire lengths need to be short and you better get the tools and be able to terminate those thick cables.

I would do the battery upgrade -- preferably to Lithium -- and then do the inverter.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #16

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
As far as upgrade order, I can't imagine wanting to go with a 3 KW inverter with the stock batteries. You are talking about 300 amps being pulled which likely cause those batteries drain and damage themselves in a hurry. You also need impeccable installation skills as to not cause large voltage drops and heat generated at every connection. Wire lengths need to be short and you better get the tools and be able to terminate those thick cables.

I would do the battery upgrade -- preferably to Lithium -- and then do the inverter.
No budget at this time for LiFePO4 batteries... But I am adding two additional stock batteries...

FYI, that is a 2400 W inverter not 3K and being Lithium-Ion compatible I do not have to change it when I do go that route.

I was not planning to do the install, I know my limitations. Lew will take care of the install.

Anyway, not doing this for now...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Be careful with the 3000w inverter. It can surge to 6000w which translates to over 500A. That’s not a sustained power draw but even a couple hundred amps with a loose lug nut or bad crimp could become a really hot mess. If I needed that much power I would seriously consider switching to a 24v or 48v system.