Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Introduction

Good morning,

My wife and I visited the Hershey show this past weekend and walked away with a pending deal on a leftover 2013 Interstate Lounge in Black,Camel and Tan. Taking delivery next week. To say we are excited would be an understatement.

Decided to trade in our Winnebago Aspect 29h for a RV experience which will be more in line with our needs,not to mention the fact a solution where we would use the coach much more frequently than we did our Winnebago.

While the deal is progressing, there is till time to make some changes before we close the deal with an Silver Extended version or 2014 in Silver for a cost of course.

Our leftover in question is black. I know the pros and cons of owning a black vehicle but would like to solicit the some feedback from Black Interstate owners who have used / travelled to the southwest in the summer.

How hot does the coach get? Is the A/C unit able to keep the interior cool enough?

TIA
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
First of all, welcome! Mine is silver, so I don't know how hot black ones get, but for me, running the roof air means running the generator (very noisy) or being plugged in to shore power (I like boondocking). I use mine as a daily driver so extended use is not an issue. Also, your choice depends on whether the black one is an early 2013 or late 2013. If it's a late 2013, there won't be much, if any, difference with an early 2014. The late 2013 / early 2014 will have a house battery cut off switch by the sliding door, a magnum 1000 watt inverter (vs a Tripp-lite 750 watt inverter), and an awning (without support legs) that automatically retracts in heavy winds. The solar panel and rear TV are also standard on the 2014, but a lot of 2013s had them anyway. Besides, the 50 watt solar panel, in my opinion, needs to be upgraded anyway. I replaced mine with a 100 watt panel and added a 2nd 100 watt panel for a total of 200 watts. As for the extended version vs standard (mine is the ext), it's a trade off. The std length provides better departure angle on steep driveways and the ext version provides more storage. Whenever I drag the rear electrical connector/skids, I wish I had the std version; but whenever we go camping, I'm glad I got the ext version. I guess you can't have it both ways. But I will be replacing the skids with roller wheels next month Good luck and let us know which one you end up with.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Hello Tiato - and welcome. I live in the Southwest and chose very carefully before deciding on a WHITE Interstate. The dealer is in Scottsdale - a suburb of Phoenix, and I sat in all three colors in the sun before deciding I couldn't possibly live with a black one. Even in winter, the sun is just as fierce and heats up black objects in no time. And in addition, black shows up dust (we have a lot of that too) and fingermarks.
A lesser argument applied to the interior: we went with the light camel.
Regarding the whether the A/C can keep up... it can, as long as you block out the cab windows with quality reflective sunshades. Otherwise the cab would be a constant source of daytime heat.
Finally, the 2014 models have some worthwhile upgrades.
I hope that helps you decide.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
David and Peter,

Thank you for the welcome and feedback.

David, I have already mentioned to my better half that I would increase solar capacity. Could you share the details of your set up. How / where did you mount the additional and larger PV panels?

From your description I believe our unit is an early 2013.

My wife and I have debated the pros and cons between the std. and the ext but she feels we wont need the extra storage provided by the ext as we will be towing a little guy trailer for additional storage and sleeping possibilities.

Furthermore, for at least another 2-3 years we would be benefiting from the std's increased towing capacity for when I tow (4600 lbs between the car and trailer) my car to Watkins Glen, NY for driving events where I coach and instruct for a few car clubs.

Peter, if you live in AZ I am sure the heat and dust with a black unit would be taxing. While its not as hot here in NJ, our trips will no doubt be head to hotter climates. Case in point being a 7000 mile x-country next summer with stops in NM, AZ, UT totaling 10 days before moving on to the Pacific Northwest.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
Our leftover in question is black. I know the pros and cons of owning a black vehicle but would like to solicit the some feedback from Black Interstate owners who have used / travelled to the southwest in the summer.

How hot does the coach get? Is the A/C unit able to keep the interior cool enough?
I have a white Interstate, and on my last trip over the Labor Day weekend, I was at Lake Enid in northern Mississippi. The site I reserved was advertised on Reservation.gov as "partial shade." I didn't know that "partial" really meant, "only after 4pm." My Interstate was in direct sun from the crack of dawn until almost happy hour, every day.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the van was pointed north. No, it was pointed south, so the awning did not provide shade for the van until the trees did. The driver's side was in direct sun all morning, soaking up heat.

To be perfectly honest, the color of the van doesn't make as much difference inside as you might think; the van is insulated, after all. It will make a difference if you happen to touch the metal after it has been in the sun all day, though!

The main factor affecting the a/c's ability to keep the van cool is the windows. Even with the blinds closed, and the factory 90% gray tint on the windows, there are a LOT of windows, which aren't insulated at all. Sunlight beating down on the glass heats the interior really well. Great for winter camping, not so great for summer camping. Before next summer, I'm going to get some Reflectix, or preferably Prodex, and cut some window covers that I can put on the inside between the glass and the blinds on the driver's side and rear windows to help control heat gain. Not as critical on the passenger side, as long as I can put out the awning. Besides, I still want to be able to see out the windows in ONE direction, at least!

I already have good covers for the windshield and front windows.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Hi Tiato,

My solar panel upgrade was discussed (with pictures) in my "Parked Battery Life" thread down below. Lots of good info there and throughout this forum
David
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Good morning,

My wife and I visited the Hershey show this past weekend and walked away with a pending deal on a leftover 2013 Interstate Lounge in Black,Camel and Tan. Taking delivery next week. To say we are excited would be an understatement.

TIA
Lucky you!

Congratulations, and may you love yours even half as much as we love ours.

Maggie
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Furthermore, for at least another 2-3 years we would be benefiting from the std's increased towing capacity for when I tow (4600 lbs between the car and trailer) my car to Watkins Glen, NY for driving events where I coach and instruct for a few car clubs.
Cool, another car guy What car do you take to Watkins Glen?
David
Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Maggie, thank you.

David,

Thanks for the solar info.

Used to race a e36 M3 in BMW Club Racing I prepared class. Got tired of all the work that racing entails.

Now my wife and I share my modified '08 V8 M3 Sedan.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yeah, M Power!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by david m View Post
yeah, m power!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3049479737.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	195894
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2157077438.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	195893  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
M Power indeed. That's the s85. Wonderful and brutal motor. Wicked in the E60 M5.

The s65 (in the m3) is the s85 less 2 cylinders . Best BMW engine I have ever had the pleasure of sitting behind.

Protagonist, thank you also for your feedback yesterday.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
M Power indeed. That's the s85. Wonderful and brutal motor. Wicked in the E60 M5.

The s65 (in the m3) is the s85 less 2 cylinders . Best BMW engine I have ever had the pleasure of sitting behind.
Yes, that V10 engine was in my E63 M6. The M6 was my daily driver before I retired and got the Interstate, and believe it or not, the Interstate gets better mileage than the M6. My friends can't believe how I can go from one extreme to the other (really really fast to really really slow), but I just tell them that I've gone "green"

Name:	image-2084197607.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	195923
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Nice M6. Yeah, that s85 is a thirsty engine. I can totally understand and relate to liking it to going green with the Mercedes.

Ive been able to get 24 mpg in my M3 with highway travel. On track it gets 7mpg

Since I get all my kicks on the track, the desire to go fast is gone. When I got into RV travel I found peace at 60mph. Its so nice to slow down and watch the world go by.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Nice M6. Yeah, that s85 is a thirsty engine. I can totally understand and relate to liking it to going green with the Mercedes.

Ive been able to get 24 mpg in my M3 with highway travel. On track it gets 7mpg

Since I get all my kicks on the track, the desire to go fast is gone. When I got into RV travel I found peace at 60mph. Its so nice to slow down and watch the world go by.
Funny, that's exactly how I feel! I now know the meaning of "taking it easy" The M6 got 12mpg on my 30 mile (each way) freeway commute to my office next to LAX. But to be fair, it was rush hour traffic. And what's great now is that I'm not anticipating getting any speeding tickets! Furthermore, the insurance on the Airstream is not even half of what it cost for the M6. Talk about going green
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
OK, I can't resist. Here's the BMW I tow to the track behind my Interstate! It's no V8 or V10 but I did swap in an S50 (1995 M3 motor) so it's a little quicker than it started out in life. It excels in the corners more than the straights though, at 2800 lbs and with big slicks shoehorned under the fenders I like chasing down the guys with the big horsepower and crowding them through the twisty bits.

Oh and I get mid twenties on the interstate out of my hot rod, though on track it's single digits for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E30 in Mid Town.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	195963  
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Oh sorry, to address the original posters question, our Interstate is silver and here in the Oklahoma heat the rooftop air barely makes the RV tolerable. I would not consider black for that reason. Window shades go a long way (including reflective shades shoved in behind the blinds on all the RV windows) to keeping the heat out but also make the interior cave like in it's darkness.

As far as extended vs. non ... mine is non and as much as I would like the additional storage I would not go long because at the shorter length I can just squeak into parallel parking spaces and such. The extra 18" (ish?) would be just a bit too long for a lot of places I go.

And I would not want to give up any towing capacity, which the extender version does. I have an aluminum flatbed that I bought specifically for the Interstate to keep my towed weight down. Trailer with track car, spare tires, jack, air compressor, Honda gasoline powered generator (quiet and I can fill it up at the track or anywhere for that matter), four 5 gallon gas cans, cooler and misc I am guessing puts me in the 5500 lbs range . . . tows great! I have occasionally put my wfie's Range Rover on the trailer when going to drop the RV off at the shop (Rover pulls the trailer home so I have my own ride without involving the wife) ... that puts the trailer around 7000lbs and it is OK but I would not want to tow any great distance like that. Note: I did add an external transmission cooler which I highly recommend though ironically it would probably void my Sprinter's powertrain warranty ... but I"m planning on the 100k+ plus longevity of the transmission since I don't expect anything to hurt it in the first 36k.

As far as getting a deal on a leftover, the year newer unit will always have at least a couple of grand greater resale (if not several thousand) so you get some money back on the back end if you get the newer one. The Magnum inverter is worth a grand more than the TrippLite in my opinion ... so my two cents is get a 2014 non-extended in a light color ... if your needs are identical to mine anyhow.

However you go congratulations and enjoy your new ride!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Hi Russ,

I agree with you on the 2014 vs 2013 and with the std length version. I also wanted the std version but my local dealer only had the ext version. I was very close to flying out to Tx for a std one, but my local dealer made me a deal on their ext version that I couldn't refuse. I also agree with you on the lighter color (silver is a classic color for Mercedes, i.e., silberpfeil, and for Airstream), but I must admit that the black one looks absolutely wicked

I also love your ride. The M6 was my get to work car and would not have made a good track car because of the weight. If I had more garage space (and if I weren't on a fixed income now that I'm retired), I'd love to get a BMW 1M. I envy you guys with track cars. So much fun!
David
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What was the topic again...? Or are these Beemers good TVs?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
What was the topic again...? Or are these Beemers good TVs?
Well, Russ240's Beemer is a toad… sort of.