Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Power seats for front row, better rear A/C, better rear ride, non-reflective rear camera monitor, . . . I could go on but I think when you start adding some of the larger items, you're pushing the size up to a Class C or even A. Plus this market is very price point sensitive.

I like some of the features of the Advanced RV but I need the extra seats for grandkids on vacation.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
73shark,

The better rear ride might come in 2014 when the 3500 Sprinters are supposed to get rear air suspension.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Should help but will be a big hit to the sticker.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Secondary factory A/C in place of roof vent. Able to run off engine. Actually trying to install now. Live in Florida and the heat and humidity!!!
I second that!

Even if they make it a different model, I think they need one more aimed at touring then camping. Ours is a daily driver.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I third. Need more air! Better insulation would help a lot. Spray foam instead of the fiberglass batts that I believe they use now would go a long way. And anything behind the bathroom wall. Aron please keep us posted on your effort to add OEM air in place of the roof vent. I would be willing to pay a lot of money to have that done! I've actually thought of adding additional alternator capacity and a high output inverter that would be capable of running the existing roof top unit. I think upgrading the existing coach batteries to lithium ions the same size but with way more capacity would be in order as well. Speaking of which, I've not gotten around to taking things apart to determine how much if any extra room there is in the battery compartment. I'd like to goto a group 31 instead of the group 24 I believe we have now, but the spec chart shows it to be 13" inches long instead of 10.25" ... not sure if there is room? Here's my dream battery (but ouch they are expensive) 12v 100ah sealed lithium ion battery marine
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #20

2014 Interstate Coach
Brookline Station , Missouri
Is it possible to run the roof air off the engine power only? Maybe by upgrading to a larger inverter??
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB64 View Post
Is it possible to run the roof air off the engine power only? Maybe by upgrading to a larger inverter??
No. The thermostat is 12vDC, but the Airstream-installed air conditioner is 120vAC. The engine alternator puts out 12vDC. That means the air conditioner would have to run off the inverter, EXCEPT the inverter doesn't put out enough power to run it, and even if it did, the alternator wouldn't put out enough power to keep up with the battery drain.

The Mercedes factory rooftop air conditioner on the other hand is a 12vDC model, and will run off the alternator.

I really don't know why Airstream doesn't just use the Mercedes a/c instead of replacing it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Or why don't they just use a larger compressor and a second evaporator in the rear like my TahoeTahoe.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Or why don't they just use a larger compressor and a second evaporator in the rear like my TahoeTahoe.
Can you run the second evaporator while parked? If not, that's why no larger compressor and second evaporator. Need to be able to run it while camping as well, not just while driving. Not a criticism of your comment… thinking outside the box is never a bad idea. And even in my case, probably 70% of the ideas I ever have go nowhere, but the other 30%…

Anyway, the Mercedes rooftop a/c should run while parked with the engine off, especially if one installs a relay (or even just a manual switch next to the thermostat, for that matter) to switch it to operating from the house batteries when parked, and from the main/auxiliary chassis battery while driving.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree re: running off batteries but wouldn't it take quite a bit of capacity to power 2.5 KW plus a much larger inverter?

The chassis version I was proposing would work for me since most of my use is traveling.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I agree re: running off batteries but wouldn't it take quite a bit of capacity to power 2.5 KW plus a much larger inverter?
Forget I said anything. After giving the matter more thought, the 12vDC Mercedes rooftop a/c in place of the 120vAC Airstream-installed a/c brings with it more problems than it solves.

Either unit would require hooking up to shore power or firing up the generator to run the a/c. But with a 120vAC a/c unit, when you're on shore power the inverter/charger is in charge mode, not invert mode. The a/c doesn't drain the batteries at all. When the generator is running to power the a/c, the inverter is in invert mode, but it's inverting the generator output, not battery output.

With a 12vDC a/c unit, it's different. When on generator power, the a/c would be running off direct generator output without going through the inverter. So far, so good. But running on shore power, the a/c unit would be drawing off the batteries, and you would need a larger inverter/charger to keep up with the demand without depleting your house batteries, and the amount of current flowing through the batteries would be problematic.

Running on battery power alone, the 12vDC a/c unit would kill the batteries in no time, kind of like the tank heaters that can kill them stony dead in four hours or less.

Guess it really is better to use the Mercedes 12vDC rooftop a/c as a supplement to the 120vAC a/c unit, not as a replacement.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I believe the generator input is treated like shore power. Inverting from the house batteries is only done when no shore or generator 120vAC.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I believe the generator input is treated like shore power. Inverting from the house batteries is only done when no shore or generator 120vAC.
My mistake. Forget I said that, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree with the idea of the Mercedes rooftop A/C as a supplement. I think the rest of our discussion was a misunderstanding all around.