Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Tampa , Florida
Interstate vs. Winnebago Via?

Still doing my homework on this. I appreciate all the information I have learned from you all so far. Did anyone consider the Winnebago Via when you bought your Interstate? If so, what made the decision for you? Seems like the Via is more RV while the Interstate is more Van which gives the Airstream the advantage moving and the Winnebago the advantage when you're parked. Do I have that right or am I missing something? Price seems about the same. Thanks in advance.
SenseiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
How do you polish a Winnie-bag-o?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Sensei, the answer is in your question. Will you be moving or will you be parked?
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The same way you polish an Interstate.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
How do you polish a Winnie-bag-o?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wax on, wax off.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Via built in sprinter chassis with drivetrain. Interstate built from a sprinter van. Two totally dif ideas. I would prefer the via for space but the interstate for everything else. Both use the same MB drivetrain I believe. Will be interesting to read other responses. What about price? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I asked this question of Patrick while waiting at Colonial Airstream one time, they carry both lines. Although I can't remember exactly what he detailed in his answer the gist of his reply was that the Airstream version is a much higher specced chassis. Everything from safety gear to drivetrain enhancements are included in the Airstream version. He said it was apples and oranges. He did acknowledge that the Winnebago is a well built unit though.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I did not consider the Via before buying my Interstate. I looked at the product literature, and did a walkthrough of one at a dealer in Baton Rouge, but just out of curiosity. It was never in the competition.

The key differences are:
It's a fiberglass box, with walls that go straight up, a driver's door, and one side door. That gives you a bit more flexibility on where interior furnishings can be placed versus trying to shoehorn them into the original body. You gain some small basement compartments, but at the cost of over a foot of extra height. You get one slideout on the driver's side— the queen model has a larger slideout than the twin model BTW. But— and this is a BIG but— with the slideout slid in, the entire rear of the vehicle is pretty much inaccessible unless you like climbing over built-in furniture.

You see, the Via is the same length as an extended Interstate, and only six inches wider. So there isn't a lot of room for the slideout to slide in without taking up the entire aisle.

But for me, the main reason why I couldn't even consider one is that danged fiberglass box. A fine German steel body by Mercedes will stand up to weather over time a lot better than fiberglass. And since I use my Interstate as a daily commuter when my toad is unavailable, I trust the original steel body in New Orleans rush hour traffic a lot more than I trust a fiberglass body. Especially since traffic accidents around here are a matter of "when" not "if."

And oh, those hideous graphics on the side of the Winnebago! I'd be ashamed to drive something so ugly!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I'll agree with most of what Protag says, but if you're in the market for something that provides a little more space than the narrow Sprinter shell, then Leisure Vans builds a really nice coachbuilt on the Sprinter chassis with some really cool features.
Here is a video of their comedian salesman Dean introducing the latest version:
Leisure Travel Vans - 2014 Product Videos
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
We looked at the Via at the Hershey show when they first came out. A lot more room but really a totally different vehicle. Back then, only one access door and I don't know about the current model but they didn't have leveling jacks and the large body had a lot of movement just walking in the middle so without jacks, it would be like sleeping in a boat every time someone moves.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstates are just the best, IMO.

Maggie