Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Roadtrek is not alone. You know that there have been serious design issues with the new Base Camp (BC) trailer, eh? Its size (small!) and its builder (Airstream) in some ways make it a better-than-average comparator for the Interstate despite being a trailer rather than a Class B.

And what does the BC have? Same song, different verse: inadequate battery power and a weak propane fridge (same model that came with the T1N Interstates), both of which have reportedly doomed it to mediocre performance at best, and unacceptable performance in many scenarios. Airstream did a fridge recall that is not being enthusiastically received. When I read some of this stuff, I think to myself (with respect to Airstream), "Bite the friggin' bullet and DO IT RIGHT!! There can't possibly be any savings in cutting these corners and then having to do recalls and blah blah blah."

The BC was clearly engineered by someone who doesn't understand rigs in an actual usage scenario. It's mind-boggling that this could happen, as if this were Airstream's first rodeo or something. Here's one of this morning's owner comments from another thread, which had been re-pasted (I think the original poster was named Sparkle):

"Just used my BC after the refrigerator recall “solution.” The news is not good. Got a new fridge, another battery and the fans. The fans run constantly on power or propane and they are LOUD. They also make the shroud over the propane tanks very hot. On propane, the noise inside the trailer is unbearable. There is a loud constant whining/buzzing sound that never abates. Earplugs didn’t work. I had to sleep with a pillow around my head. Airstream Corporate are you listening? This is not a fix and is totally unacceptable!"
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote