Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
LAKE GENEVA , Wisconsin
Storage and more

We have a 2012 AI. Not the EXT. we use a stowaway2 hitch pod that is perfect for hauling any kind of gear. We have the swing away frame. Great for tailgating. The EXT space in back is not that much room and you can't clean it as easy as the pod. Pod has a drain and can be washed out. The small amount of storage in the view is not worth the trade off of a Class C v. B. See www.stowaway2.com.
T
Slk727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Leisure Travel Vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Strictly speaking the Free Spirit SS by Leisure Vans was the first Sprinter-based Class B with a slide-out, and the ERA-C "copied" them.
Leisure Travel Vans - Free Spirit SS - Floorplans

Though one could say that the Roadtrek SS-Ideal, which featured a rear slide-out on the 144" wheelbase, was first, and that's an idea that also could have been adopted by the long wheelbase competitors to provide a larger floor plan but never was.
I had thought about that...but I'm gonna have to start googling now..I didn't mention it at first because I could have sworn the Leisure Travel Van w/ slide out wa a B+ built on a Mercedes cutaway....But right you are the Free Spirit is a standard Class B...one hell of a floorpan and I've heard the build quality is amazing....buuuuttttt....it's Canadian, so, eh.....lol
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Too sad they Roadtrek didn't follow through with the SS Ideal...I thought that was a pretty cool idea...at least when parked. It's like my parent's moho...it's wonderful when you're parked and the slides are out, but as someone who makes the journey just as much a part of the trip as the destination...as much as I love a quad slide, or a full wall slide triple...some of those just get tiiiiigggghhhttttt when the slides are in. I swear some of today's moho manufactures have two departments, "driving" and "camping" and neither of the two talk to each other at all during the design process. Oh, also, to the OP if you're looking for a totally customizable Class B I might as well go ahead and plus Sportsmobile (my friend owns the Fresno, CA dealership)...they can literally just make you anything.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sportsmobile has some great stuff, I agree check them out.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #25
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Looked at a neat sports mobile sprinter here locally, but it's an 07 gas engine with 94,000 mile and I have no idea how to value it... Love the layout though. Guy wants $48k for it and I just have a hard time justifying that, wondering what engine life would be.

The leisure travel guys also took some of the slide out chassis and did a two sliding door version - looks pretty neat, really opens up the interior.

Thanks for all of yalls wisdom!
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Maple Valley , Washington
Rosie, if you decide on the AI, we may have to sell our 2014.5 ext. We love it! Caring for elderly family member so can't use it. 206-793-2484.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Semmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Another option to not overlook Advanced RV located in Willoughby, OH (advanced-rv.com). They make Sprinter Class B vans which are true 4-Season vehicles with a lot of features that put AS to shame including quality, technology, and creature comfort for about the same price as AS, but you may have to get in line...each is custom made to your specs. The vans are almost completely "stealth" with no indication that they are not just a clean nice looking Sprinter, yet inside is everything and more except a slide.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
Another option to not overlook Advanced RV located in Willoughby, OH (advanced-rv.com). They make Sprinter Class B vans which are true 4-Season vehicles with a lot of features that put AS to shame including quality, technology, and creature comfort for about the same price as AS
Everything you say about the features and quality of ARV is correct. Certainly the build quality makes AS look laughable. HOWEVER, saying that they are "about the same price" is a pretty extreme example of wishful thinking. Even if you compare it to MSRP, the price of entry to the ARV world is pretty significantly higher. Moreover, Interstates do not sell at list price. At ARV, they will quote you a price for what you specify, and from then on the price is the price. You will get what you pay for, but it won't be an Interstate-class price.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Anybody want to talk me out of a gas-powered '07 Sportsmobile with 94,000 miles? Please, somebody? ��
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Avanti, guess I agree. What I considered is about 10k over Al list price, so my take away from your post is that Airstream asks top quality prices for not top quality units and can't get it, and Advanced asks top quality prices for truly top quality units and can get it. The "take away"?..Quality costs. 😃
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
Avanti, guess I agree. What I considered is about 10k over Al list price, so my take away from your post is that Airstream asks top quality prices for not top quality units and can't get it, and Advanced asks top quality prices for truly top quality units and can get it. The "take away"?..Quality costs. 😃
I thought the take-away is you get what you pay for.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I thought the take-away is you get what you pay for.
Or at least that you pay for what you get.