Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk0080 View Post
It sounds like that MINI eventually had a transmission failure and possibly other issues most likely due to towing that Airstream.
Quite an assumption. Do you have a reference?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum

Quite an assumption. Do you have a reference?

doug k
My source was a couple MINI SOMC forum members and not official from the dealership. The car apparently suffered transmission and may have had some suspension problems. Choice is yours if you believe it's true but I would exercise caution trying this setup.

If you really want to find out, call MINI Durham and ask them I guess.
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Andy Thompson set this Mini combo up. If it had mechanical failure we would like to know the facts, not guesses based on hearsay.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Andy Thompson set this Mini combo up. If it had mechanical failure we would like to know the facts, not guesses based on hearsay.

doug k
Anyways back to the original thread subject. Thank you all for the comments. Gives me something to think about. At this point I am to totally sold that an airstream would right for me.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
I was dissapointed to find out today that the Interstate is not available for sale in Canada nor can I import one from the States. The search continues...!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk0080 View Post
Perhaps the biggest limitation would be the B van trying to pull all that extra weight. I know the Interstate has 300+ ft lb of torque (let's say up to 11,000 lbs GVW for Interstate + 2,600 lbs MINI)... that seems fairly small compared to some TVs I could look into that would have 425-500 ft lb of torque (for a 11,000 lbs GVW of the TV plus an AS 23' for example).
While the Sprinter certainly does not have the towing power of my Ford Powerstroke diesel pickup, it is more than adequate to pull my 18" aluminum flat bed trailer, 1990 BMW 3-series track car, a full set of spare tires, tools, 4 fuel jugs, etc. I have not weighed it, but I figure my trailer fully loaded for race day is about 5500lbs. My Interstate pulls that to the race track at 80mph with no problem and gets 12-13mpg doing it. I think it's a great track day tow vehicle.

If you are just going to autocross, I think pulling a small trailer with the Mini would be great. If you are going to do track days, I would advise you to start trailering the car to the track. You can certainly get by doing your first season of track events driving the car to the track, but it wont be long before you want racing brake pads, sticky dedicated track tires, etc. You will likely want to tow it when you get to that level.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Oops. Sorry I did not see your last post before replying. Bummer. Well, you can always buy a basic Sprinter and build you own. Or can you even buy a Sprinter up there? What's the restriction on importing the Interstate?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240
Oops. Sorry I did not see your last post before replying. Bummer. Well, you can always buy a basic Sprinter and build you own. Or can you even buy a Sprinter up there? What's the restriction on importing the Interstate?
Apparently airstream didn't certify it for Canada (i may be using the wrong terminology). The travel trailers are ok and several other manufacturer class b from USA are also ok.

I would have to get a Sprinter and customize or pick another manufacturer... Which of course could still be an option if I have the time and $$ and a reliable shop.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I daydreamed about having a Sprinter too - and wondered if one was made hefty enough to tow my 25 FB SE. I just wanted the bare shell Sprinter with 4 seats and a lot of storage space, not an "Airstream" sprinter. Thought it would look cool if I had what looked like an Airstream towing an Airstream. Then I found out that they're basically not made to tow regularly at all! One member here did tow with his for quite a while before his transmission broke.

I'll go do a search and see if I can find the thread before edit time runs out. BTW there's a Sprinter forum too.

Paula

Yep, here it is... Read #4 "Lewster" - it kicked my butt right off of fantasy island!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...mpg-92950.html
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Just for the sake of argument, towing a Mini will be much less taxing than towing an Airstream, unless you get carried away with a big enclosed trailer.

Side note, if you can stomach the price and you want an enclosed trailer get one of these:
BRE: BRE Aerovault Trailer

I think it would look fantastic behind a Sprinter!

Anyhow, you can read about failures on any forum for any vehicle. To me, towing a heavy load without an auxiliary transmission cooler and getting 100k out a transmission is about par for the course on any vehicle. I think the Sprinter makes a great tow vehicle, just keep the towed weight in the 5k ballpark to have a margin of safety on the 7500lbs towing capacity (2011 model 3500 and newer). Add an aftermarket trans cooler to increase your safety margin.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240
Just for the sake of argument, towing a Mini will be much less taxing than towing an Airstream, unless you get carried away with a big enclosed trailer.

Side note, if you can stomach the price and you want an enclosed trailer get one of these:
BRE: BRE Aerovault Trailer

I think it would look fantastic behind a Sprinter!

Anyhow, you can read about failures on any forum for any vehicle. To me, towing a heavy load without an auxiliary transmission cooler and getting 100k out a transmission is about par for the course on any vehicle. I think the Sprinter makes a great tow vehicle, just keep the towed weight in the 5k ballpark to have a margin of safety on the 7500lbs towing capacity (2011 model 3500 and newer). Add an aftermarket trans cooler to increase your safety margin.
Thanks . Cool looking trailer. I bet it would look great behind a vintage AS RV too.

Regarding towing... I am not too worried. I would get an aux cooler and the weight would only be about 3000 lbs with a dolly.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I daydreamed about having a Sprinter too - and wondered if one was made hefty enough to tow my 25 FB SE. I just wanted the bare shell Sprinter with 4 seats and a lot of storage space, not an "Airstream" sprinter. Thought it would look cool if I had what looked like an Airstream towing an Airstream. Then I found out that they're basically not made to tow regularly at all! One member here did tow with his for quite a while before his transmission broke.
]
I wonder if you had such a basic sprinter setup that the towing would not be such an issue? I mean the AS Interstate is pretty hefty but a barebones setup might be fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Sprinter towing

I towed a 34 to the Region rally in PEI with a Sprinter a few years ago. It handled the 34 quite easily. It was a shorter length sprinter. We have a couple of customers that use them for commercial use and tow extensively and so far they have had no trouble. The engine is detuned somewhat so it should have lots of reserve and the 5 speed tranny is designed for much higher power outputs . We have noticed that the parts prices for them are rather exhorbitant but they don't seem to need them very often.

Next year you will be able to buy the Ford Van from Europe with either the echoboost or a diesel.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assent&34small.JPG
Views:	925
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	164133  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Oops. Sorry I did not see your last post before replying. Bummer. Well, you can always buy a basic Sprinter and build you own. Or can you even buy a Sprinter up there?
I am leaning towards the custom Sprinter customization option. Something with a combo rear gear/washroom area like the OutsideVan Earthromper2. Something with a more open interior without any tall cabinets, large queen sized bed/dinette, diesel heat/generator, compost toilet (no black water) and larger water/grey tanks:
Earthromper 2 by Outside Vans

From what I have read I may have issues using a US conversion company which is probably fine... Outside Van do not respond to my enquiries anyways. I found Get Away RV Centre Ltd. in British Columbia can do the customizations that I want and they are doing some interesting work, like using local Vancouver diesel air/water/coolant units. They also didn't seem to be scared away when I asked about having some ceiling/wall sections in aluminum sheeting instead of plastic or fabric.

What I am finding is that most Class B conversions from the large companies are designed for retirees or for people who drive from hotel to hotel. They often have tacked on lower body kits or steps and the interiors are terrible outdated. They also just don't have the flexible use that I am looking for and they are way to "RV" looking.

And yes we can definitely buy the various versions of the Sprinter vans in Canada (or I could import one from the States if it is cheaper and worth the hassle).