Old 09-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Interstate toilet use in winter

We use our 2015 Interstate all year in the midwest. We dump RV antifreeze in the toilet in the winter however have only made sure that liquids are going in. We would like to use the toilet 24/7 in places that do not have toilet facilities. We aren't sure if we would be able to find and/or use a dump facility after a weekend of 100% toilet use. We are concerned that the macerater hose will freeze and could potentially crack as we are pulling it out at a dump station. And we do not know what happens to solid waste in antifreeze. Our ultimate goal is to boon-dock and be able to use the toilet for a weekend of winter cross-country skiing where there are no facilities. And yes, we know we can use the woods. Is there anyone who can help us with this?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those are all legitimate concerns.

I wouldn't put any waste in my tanks unless I was sure I would be able to dump them, as you don't want this stuff freezing.

Might make more sense to use a lidded bucket that you can then dump into a toilet.

Maggie

Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Reading this, I was with amusement reminded of the Sprinter camper DIYer on Instagram (username escapes me) who mounted his commode on his hitch carrier. He basically took a commercially-available hitch carrier of size similar to the one my husband and I custom-made, but instead of a food cooler, he put a portable toilet on his. Of all the things he could leave in the open while boondocking and hiking some distance from his vehicle in remote areas, he could rest assured that no thief was ever going to do a crappy thing like walk off with his pottie. Someone else's used toilet is simply not a high-target theft item.

One step up from a lidded bucket and not too much more expensive is a portable toilet such as this one, which is what I used years ago while schlepping Girl Scout Brownies in unserviced areas. They actually do work, complete with flush water. Set it on the floor of your wet bath, add antifreeze to the water, and I think it might do the job for you with no worries.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeypooh View Post
We use our 2015 Interstate all year in the midwest. We dump RV antifreeze in the toilet in the winter however have only made sure that liquids are going in. We would like to use the toilet 24/7 in places that do not have toilet facilities. We aren't sure if we would be able to find and/or use a dump facility after a weekend of 100% toilet use. We are concerned that the macerater hose will freeze and could potentially crack as we are pulling it out at a dump station. And we do not know what happens to solid waste in antifreeze. Our ultimate goal is to boon-dock and be able to use the toilet for a weekend of winter cross-country skiing where there are no facilities. And yes, we know we can use the woods. Is there anyone who can help us with this?

Check out the Wendland's website on Roadtrekking. They routinely boondock in Northern Michigan in mid winter and use their coach's toilet using RV antifreeze to flush. While their rig is not an Airstream, it is similarly outfitted.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The Wendlands do not put "solids" down the toilet when using antifreeze. At least what he told me in a message.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
What we have tried (successfully), is to put a "wag bag" liner in the toilet. Details here can get a little strange, but the "Double Doodie" liners and a couple handfuls of kitty-litter go a long way on those long cold winter nights......then visit the dumpster.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
How about using the tank heater for a few minutes before dumping? Wouldn't that work?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
How about using the tank heater for a few minutes before dumping? Wouldn't that work?
Assuming that the inside of the AI is above freezing, the black tank would not freeze since it's above the floor. However unless the macerator, valve, and hose have antifreeze in them, they might be frozen.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Amg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Assuming that the inside of the AI is above freezing, the black tank would not freeze since it's above the floor. However unless the macerator, valve, and hose have antifreeze in them, they might be frozen.
Are you saying the toilet can be used even with solids so long as all the plumbing after the black tank has antifreeze. If so then it can be used then dumped and you would only have to put in more antifreeze into the plumbing after the black tank
Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The tank heaters will protect the tanks, but not the piping and macerator pump all below the floor.

I considered filling the lower piping and hose with antifreeze and relying on the tank heaters until I could dump, but haven't tried it yet
Old 09-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I thought the issue was solid waste freezing and causing problems for macerator. With tank heaters that should not be a concern then.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Actually since the black tank is inside, as long as you heat the van, solids will not freeze.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

two words

Porta Potti
Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just simply would not dry camp in freezing temps, unless there was an absolute emergency.

There are an awful lot of weather related variables here, regarding using the inside toilet, then emptying with the macerater hose.

Keeping everything from freezing, inside and out, plus providing even moderate levels of comfort for living things inside, will use up your propane and/or battery at a pretty good rate...then keeping your battery charged to run a tank heater, etc.

Why risk it.

Maggie