Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I used the Coach Net plan that came with our Interstate when I had a flat on inner dual caused by a valve stem failure. Since then I changed to metal valve stems on inner duals and added TPMS sensors on all tires. When the initial two year coverage expired I renewed the Coach Net plan that also covers my car. It is an older Prius and after leaving it for three months while I was in Alaska the main battery died. Had to have the Prius towed in to dealer for new battery. So two uses of roadside plan in five years. Seems like it was worth the cost.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I used the Coach Net plan that came with our Interstate when I had a flat on inner dual caused by a valve stem failure. Since then I changed to metal valve stems on inner duals and added TPMS sensors on all tires. When the initial two year coverage expired I renewed the Coach Net plan that also covers my car. It is an older Prius and after leaving it for three months while I was in Alaska the main battery died. Had to have the Prius towed in to dealer for new battery. So two uses of roadside plan in five years. Seems like it was worth the cost.
What brand TPMS sensors did you go with? Did you also have your tires rebalanced after adding both the metal valve stems and sensors?

Thanks!

MARK
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
What brand TPMS sensors did you go with? Did you also have your tires rebalanced after adding both the metal valve stems and sensors?

Thanks!

MARK

I have the TST (Truck System Technologies) brand TPMS.
https://tsttruck.com

They are good folks to deal with as I had to exchange the original internal sensors I ordered and get external screw-on sensors instead. I had the metal valve stems replaced when replacing the original Continental tires with new Michelins. I did not get the tires rebalanced after adding the TPMS sensors. No unusual wear after 60,000 miles.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have not looked into TPMS yet. I like to joke that I am the TPMS because the truck never leaves our driveway without me checking the tires first.

TPMS would not have helped much with this issue. The tires were at 80 psi and then almost instantly they were at zero, as if someone had hit them with a massive ice pick. If they'd failed while under way, I probably would have reacted to the handling impact during or before a TPMS warning.

I'm not opposed to something like TPMS but the potential downside is the opportunity to develop a false sense of security, as it is with any kind of interventional tech generally. It seems to me that a better tire stem is a more urgent priority on this scenario, at least.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:12 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
We have passed on boondocking on some of the most beautiful boondocking places due to zero phone reception (in mountains). As expensive as it is, I might get a sat phone for next year to be able to have some form of communication.

I forgot to mention...

I got asked the question by one of the local off-grid folks (who happened to be a licensed radio operator): What am I doing in a no-cell area without at least a couple of good FRS radios in my possession?

I confess that I had not even heard of FRS. It certainly would not have the capability of a sat phone but at least it would be a little better than nothing at all. The example that the radio operator gave was, what if you take your inflatable kayak over to that little island in the middle of the lake and you run into trouble? You need SOMETHING to fall back on.

The FRS handhelds I see on the internet generally claim ranges of 16 to 30 miles. I'm not sure how well they perform in practice.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
Family Radio Service (FRS) has a short range with line of sight blocked by a few buildings or trees, about 0.3 to 1 mile, but hill-top-to-hill-top can be as much as 37 miles, and requires no license. DO NOT CONSIDER adding a better antenna for farther service!

Carry On!
Gary
><>
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
We have an Inmarsat phone as we hike in the backcountry and think of it as an insurance policy and usually buy a 30 or 90-day service card depending on the trip. There are two different types, the Geosynchronous, (Inmarsat), satellite and low orbit, (Iridium), satellite and both have advantages/disadvantages. The most common use for us has been to call for a ride coming out at a trailhead or checking in the office at home when there is no cell coverage. We've found FRS radios to be limited use at best.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
There is FRS and GMRS.
FRS requires no license, and quite limited range in most cases.

GMRS does require a license, and further range.
Both are UHF and have rather limited range.
In general, VHF goes further than UHF, but now talking HAM type license.

(Depending on location there are various repeaters you may have access to etc with a license, I don't believe any non-licensed radios are supposed to use repeaters).

For sat phones, there are three setups I know about.

Geostationary (We never really looked at those, since we are so far north they would rarely work, especially with all the mountains and huge trees).
LEO- (low earth orbit). Two types.
Irridium - these go pole to pole. Work fantastic in Alaska. Sometimes not so great in mountains further south due to the current path of the satellite.
Gloabalstar- these go around (rather than pole to pole).- also sometimes not so great due to the path of the satellite also.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The most amazing thing just happened: as the tire guy was packing up to leave after fixing the stem, THE OTHER REAR TIRE VALVE STEM SPONTANEOUSLY LET GO. What are the odds??
incredible!
Yes, I've had rubber valve stems dry rot since no one pays attention to them. Perhaps your valve stems got bent while driving through high grass or stones, who knows?
I'll replace with all metal stems as soon as practical.

If two of yours failed, can the rest be far behind?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
incredible!
Yes, I've had rubber valve stems dry rot since no one pays attention to them. Perhaps your valve stems got bent while driving through high grass or stones, who knows?
I'll replace with all metal stems as soon as practical.

If two of yours failed, can the rest be far behind?

Both the original and the new stems were brass high-pressure stems, not rubber low-pressure stems. The thing is, brass must meet rubber at some point. That's where the failure occurred.

No stones, no rocks, no nothing. The road I had a contractor put into my property is better quality than some of the public roads in this part of the world. It was built specifically for our Interstate.

We've got the four new stems for the duration of this trip and will probably upgrade upon our return to Houston.