Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Interstate Sliding Door Problem

Has anyone experienced a problem with their sliding door not opening when unlocked whether pulling the outside handle or from the inside using the thumb knob? It feels like the release latch or mechanism is still engaged. It may take several attempts of locking then unlocking the door before it finally releases. This is probably a MB chassis problem so I'll be taking it in next week sometime might be a safety recall or a warranty fix.
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsknutson View Post
Has anyone experienced a problem with their sliding door not opening when unlocked whether pulling the outside handle or from the inside using the thumb knob?
Similar but reverse problem. When the door is fully open and latched open, I can only close it from outside; the inside latch button doesn't work. Works fine for opening, but not for closing. Something came loose inside the door— for the second time in four years.

But I installed an intermediate door stop that holds the door partway open (described by Mr.B in the first post on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-148114-2.html).

Problem solved until I can get back to the dealer for my next scheduled service.

I know that doesn't help with your problem, but it seems to me that slamming the door every time to get it to shut properly makes it easier for something to come loose inside the door. And it provides fair warning that once you get your problem repaired, it may not stay repaired.

The best bet is to always leave your roof vent cracked open to provide pressure relief as the door closes; then you don't have to slam it as hard. I've learned that the hard way! The thing that taught me that little trick was, every time I closed the door, the vent window in the door would "burp" a little. With the roof vent open, no burp because no pressure.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes, it happens occasionally with our T1N Interstate also. I haven't yet figured out what is causing it, and it hasn't happened often enough for me to elevate the priority of the investigation.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Protag,
I do recall an earlier thread to your point on the pressure relief, thanks. In the meantime I applied a little WD40 to the two release mechanisms on the door. Hope this will do it, if not then InterBlog, it's off to the service department
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote