Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There will be no second or third trip for me. When I bug out, whatever I can carry in one trip, that's it.

I don't have anything that's really irreplaceable, except a few not-terribly-valuable out-of-print books that I'd want to keep, that will fit easily in either vehicle. No heirloom furniture or anything. As a lifelong solo apartment dweller, I haven't accumulated so much stuff that I'd have to make multiple trips.

Besides, my landlord won't allow me to store a trailer on the premises; I'd have to rent a place to store the trailer. And for me, the trailer wouldn't see enough use to justify the price of ownership and storage.

But that's just me. An open trailer might be just the thing for some other folks who are more sentimental and have more stuff to protect from a storm.
Thanks for the explanation. As I think an RV almost a requirement to live in hurricane country I value the different perspectives and priorties others are willing to share. It's life on tenterhooks at that time.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Lessons Learned

Here are the lessons I learned during the process of getting my Honda outfitted for flat-towing behind my Interstate:

1 - Even though the Interstate has the turn signals separate from the brake/taillights, the 7-pin connector is wired for combined brake/taillight/turn signals on one dual-filament bulb, so that's the way the car has to be wired, even if the car also has separate turn signals.

2 - The wiring kits don't include wiring for lighting up your car's rear license plate when the taillights come on. You've got to add a separate relay and wiring for that.

3 - Invisibrake has a cutout timer; if you hold the RV's brake for too long, the Invisibrake cuts out until the next time you press the brake. Not a problem as you should already be at a complete stop by the time the cutout cuts out. However, it played merry hell on the technician who was installing the system and then scratching his head as to why the Invisibrake suddenly quit working when he was checking all of the connections.

4 - When installing the Invisibrake under the driver's seat, mount it so that when the seat is slid all the way forward, you can see the dial and reach the adjustment knob, but when the seat is slid back to your usual driving position, the knob and dial are reasonably well protected from a rear-seat passenger's feet. Actually, I figured that one out before the installation, so nothing had to be redone, but it seems worth mentioning.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote