Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Update:

My Honda Fit is presently at Foley RV Center, A/K/A Airstream of Mississippi, to get converted from a handsome prince into a toad. Installation of the Roadmaster baseplate system went well. With the baseplates removed from the sockets, the only real indication that it's not a bog-stock Honda Fit is the electrical outlet under the bumper where the umbilical from the Interstate will attach.

Installation of the additional wiring for the towing lights and the Invisibrake went well, too, except that the installation required two more blocking diodes than came with the kit in order to use the original turn signals/brake lights/taillights as towing lights.

Installation of the Invisibrake control module wasn't too difficult, but they had to do a test fit to make sure the driver's seat would still slide back and forth; the box fills the entire under-seat area with no room to spare, and does rub at one point. Fortunately, the only time I'll ever have to adjust the seat is when a service technician drives it, so that's almost a non-issue.

Where they ran into a problem was connecting the vacuum line from the Invisibrake control box to the power brake system. The brake unit is so far back in the engine compartment that one can't reach it without disassembling part of the engine. They're calling in a Honda service technician to handle that part of the job. Fortunately, there is a Honda dealership literally a block away. Don't know if they'll charge me extra; I hope not. The installation is already expensive enough!

In the meantime, I'm using the Interstate as my daily driver until I can wrangle enough time off from work to get back over to Gulfport so they can install the Invisibrake indicator light in the dashboard. Friday is the earliest I can do it, if the car is ready by then and if my boss will let me take off. Otherwise, sometime next week.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
In post 32 I mentioned that I was told by an installer that the needed engine access for a FIT was very difficult to reach. It looks like Foley found that out but the job got done.

When you get some experience with the FIT as a toad using the Invisibrake, please give us a followup report. The light weight of the FIT seems to be a good choice for the Sprinter. I think you have the FIT with NAV so the battery charging of the Invisibrake should make it a good choice.
__________________

__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
Upon rereading your post 31, I saw that the initial plan was to use separate lights and not tie into the FIT wiring. But you just mentioned you needed two more diodes. That would imply you did not use separate bulbs but went the diode route.
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
In post 32 I mentioned that I was told by an installer that the needed engine access for a FIT was very difficult to reach. It looks like Foley found that out but the job got done.
Fortunately, right next door to Foley RV Center is Turan-Foley Chevy/Cadillac/Buick, and right next door to them is a Honda dealer. Foley RV actually called over a Honda service technician to advise them on the procedure to follow for getting access for tapping in the new vacuum line.

Quote:
When you get some experience with the FIT as a toad using the Invisibrake, please give us a followup report. The light weight of the FIT seems to be a good choice for the Sprinter. I think you have the FIT with NAV so the battery charging of the Invisibrake should make it a good choice.
I actually spent about two weeks poring over my various towing options even before I bought the Honda Fit, so I already knew it would work that way. I'm an engineer by profession, and doing my research is second nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Upon rereading your post 31, I saw that the initial plan was to use separate lights and not tie into the FIT wiring. But you just mentioned you needed two more diodes. That would imply you did not use separate bulbs but went the diode route.
My initial plan was to do it with the diodes and tie into the existing lights, but I let someone talk me into doing it the other way, with separate bulbs. The reason for switching was that I had been warned that tapping into the existing lights would trigger false-alarm electrical system idiot lights on the Honda's dash. However, when the service techs at Foley RV told me that the diode system would not trigger false alarms on the idiot lights, I went back to the original plan. Cost is about the same either way, and the diodes provide a cleaner installation than drilling a hole in the back of the light housing to fit an extra bulb.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Under the bumper may not be the best choice for the the umbilical outlet. I have scraped the underside on parking lot bump stops even tho I knew I was low and should park a foot back. Also the outlet would have been wiped out when we hit a gator(tire carcass) in the road, it did a number on the bumper and the fog lights.
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #48
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Under the bumper may not be the best choice for the the umbilical outlet. I have scraped the underside on parking lot bump stops even tho I knew I was low and should park a foot back. Also the outlet would have been wiped out when we hit a gator(tire carcass) in the road, it did a number on the bumper and the fog lights.
Actually, the bumper is just the right place, because it's the only metal on the front end to bolt to; everything else is just plastic. What I scrape the underside of when I pull too close to parking curbs is the underside of the front spoiler only 6 inches off the ground), not the bumper (a foot off the ground).

Here's a photo after the baseplate receiver, umbilical outlet, and breakaway switch were installed. The sockets for the towbar attachment points are very difficult to see, but are tucked right under the bumper. The umbilical attachment is centered on the underside of the bumper, and the breakaway switch is centered on the bottom edge of the lower grille. The vertical separation between umbilical and breakaway switch is to ensure they don't entangle each other:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0155-small.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	177484  
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Great Picture.
You are right, I considered the whole unit as a bumper and didn't realize you had placed it exactly where I did. When I took mine off it was described as a bumper not bumper and shroud. While it was off did you do the fix for rocks that could hit the a/c coil?
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #50
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Great Picture.
You are right, I considered the whole unit as a bumper and didn't realize you had placed it exactly where I did. When I took mine off it was described as a bumper not bumper and shroud. While it was off did you do the fix for rocks that could hit the a/c coil?
Actually, no. Not even sure what fix you're referring to.

To minimize the potential for rocks hitting my Honda, I got Roadmaster Roadwing mudflaps for the Interstate. They mount to a horizontal bar that fits on the trailer hitch. They're not shown in the picture; the flaps proper were shipped rolled up, and they hadn't flattened out yet after being unpacked. When we did the test fit of all other components as you see in the picture, we hadn't added the mudflaps yet.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
What size mud flaps did you order? I see multiple widths on the Roadmaster web site.
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
What size mud flaps did you order? I see multiple widths on the Roadmaster web site.
The Interstate is 6' 7" (79 inches) wide, so the smallest width (if memory serves, 77 inches) is a good fit.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #53
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, no. Not even sure what fix you're referring to.

To minimize the potential for rocks hitting my Honda, I got Roadmaster Roadwing mudflaps for the Interstate. They mount to a horizontal bar that fits on the trailer hitch. They're not shown in the picture; the flaps proper were shipped rolled up, and they hadn't flattened out yet after being unpacked. When we did the test fit of all other components as you see in the picture, we hadn't added the mudflaps yet.
===============================
This site give all the info needed, your mudflaps might do the job but having a wild rock in the grill has happened to many fit owners not being pulled by MH.

Two Ways To Prevent A/C Damage from Rocks DIY/Photos - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #54
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,602
Images: 1
Okay, back a ways to the original concern: Hurricane evacuation. I'd be more inclined to leave behind a car than some household furnishings (as some are unique, some have family history; then there are the usual "irreplaceable" items). So why not an open trailer? The second or third trip could carry a car (there are a huge number of trailer types out there).

I agree it's wisdom to be prepared well in advance so have enjoyed reading this thread. On this TT new to me I expect to have to do some things twice. One reason is the opening of 2013 hurricane season. A fast go-through of all road-related, and then some living related to have the TT ready to leave on short notice.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #55
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Okay, back a ways to the original concern: Hurricane evacuation. I'd be more inclined to leave behind a car than some household furnishings (as some are unique, some have family history; then there are the usual "irreplaceable" items). So why not an open trailer? The second or third trip could carry a car (there are a huge number of trailer types out there).
There will be no second or third trip for me. When I bug out, whatever I can carry in one trip, that's it.

I don't have anything that's really irreplaceable, except a few not-terribly-valuable out-of-print books that I'd want to keep, that will fit easily in either vehicle. No heirloom furniture or anything. As a lifelong solo apartment dweller, I haven't accumulated so much stuff that I'd have to make multiple trips.

Besides, my landlord won't allow me to store a trailer on the premises; I'd have to rent a place to store the trailer. And for me, the trailer wouldn't see enough use to justify the price of ownership and storage.

But that's just me. An open trailer might be just the thing for some other folks who are more sentimental and have more stuff to protect from a storm.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
You mentioned the smallest but there is a 69 inch and 73 inch that are smaller. When you mount the 77 inch a picture would be great.
__________________

__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.