Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Interstate Owner's recommendations to Airstream

The Air Forums have a lot of knowledgeable and experienced owners.

Interstate owners please share product recommedations and suggestions that Airstream will hopefully see, take notice of and implement.

(To ease of finding particular areas of interest, please put the component/system etc before your suggestion)

Here are some of my suggestions:

-Power shade/screen systems: Make them optional. I would prefer manual. Less likely to repeatedly fail and one gains inches of room on both sides of the interior walls.

-Solar & battery upgrades: Since additional solar panels and batteries are popular, why not the provisions for them for easy dealer upgrades. For example: Preinstall second rear battery tray and wiring for added solar panels.

-Illuminate Control Panel area: Put a light in the control panel area (where the power, fluid levels and generator switch is). If one needs to see the battery levels at night, one has to provide their own flashlight.

-Simplify AND Label System Control Area: Ideally one touch screen. One that enables an owner to quickly ascertain system statuses, be informed of problem(s) and is guided as to what needs to be done. I think this should be a standard equipment feature, not an extra.

-Suspension Upgrades: Offer suspension options and upgrades beyond air bags in the rear.

For an example- heavier sway bars and shocks. A Nothing But The Best Class B motor coach means it not be terrifying when passing semitrailer trucks during crosswinds. (Myself and many other owners have had to upgrade suspensions to create a confident handling coach in all weather and conditions).

-Interstate soft brake pedal: If Mercedes is vague on whether there is a problem or not, I would expect Airstream to take the lead on inquiring for safety and in support of their valued customers.

-Interior Thermostat: Change it. Install one that is easy to use, intuitive and doesn’t require having to set the time before the heat will come on.

-Coach Electrical Wiring: Stop using solid core wire. Modern multi-strand copper wire is a much better way. It doesn't work loose, and flexes when needed.

-Stereo Entertainment System: Offer a TV delete. We removed the TVs. Its amazing how much space is gained fore and aft.
Only offer radio heads that have at least a volume knob. Reaching down into the center of the dash find a control button while driving is scary. A knob is something your hand will readily find.
Double-check that radio fader (front and rear) also lowers the subwoofer's level in the rear. Often you can adjust the sound to the front but the sub continues current loudness.

-Propane Gas Fill Location: Please relocate it. Not only is it hard to reach so low down behind the right rear wheel, it is also easily damaged. I feel it is potentially dangerous in its location.

-Center Curtain: Offer a simple curtain that slides on a track behind above the driver's and passenger seats, attached to the storage rack above. It would avoid always wrestling the 3 awkward privacy and sun block panels into place.

-Storage Cubbies: Please provide additional well thought out size and locations of storage. Ones that could hold reading glasses, a phone, remote, a book.

-Rear Clothes Hangers: Create a simple system that keeps clothes from bouncing off. I suggest a heavy wire loop that swings up or down. Lift up to hang up something, falls down to keep hangers on.

-Clear Bra Protection: Offer clear front-end paint and headlight protection. These are some of the most expensive Class B coaches. Keeping them protected from road damage just makes sense. I would be very impressed if Airstream put a clear front-end protection as standard.

-Owner's Manual/Documentation: For new owners and even experienced motor coach owners figuring out how to fix a problem can be challenging. I suggest a Best In Class owner's manual. One that quickly assists and educates owners. Has an easy to find and navigate a trouble shooting sections. Frankly being given individual component manuals falls short of meeting my expectations. This illustrates my point: A one year old owner asked for my help, in that they didn’t know how to make the generator start. They asked if I knew where in the Onan manual it would show the how. An educated and well informed owner is a happier owner.

We like our Interstate. It can be even better.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
-Simplify AND Label System Control Area: Ideally one touch screen. One that enables an owner to quickly ascertain system statuses, be informed of problem(s) and is guided as to what needs to be done. I think this should be a standard equipment feature, not an extra.
If Apple or Tesla were building Interstates I might agree with a central touch screen for system management but I don't trust Airstream to build that system. Not because they couldn't find a system that works, but because I don't trust Airstream to offer packages that actually met all their customers' needS. What happens when you try to upgrade a system and it isn't compatible with your new hardware? There is not industry standard communications protocols so you're back to lots of separate systems and displays.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Agree with most of your points above - though I am not sure that I would know whether/not I needed/wanted various options until AFTER I made the purchase. I would not mind separate control/display panels if they worked. Tank monitors (LPG especially) are pretty iffy. I am convinced that those designing the AI have never used it for dry camping.

My addition:
Shower: platform the toilet sits on should slope downwards towards the rear. That way water doesn't get trapped behind the toilet if the rear of the coach is up. Also, the floor should be sloped towards the shower drain from all directions so the shower drains completely if the vehicle is not perfectly level. Get rid of the soap dispenser - or at least make it optional. We never use it, and can't imagine trying to winterize it if we did ever think about using it.

LPG: Put the LPG switch somewhere inside (like many of us have done).
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Interstate Owners recommendations

I think these are great recommendations. I have a contact at Airstream headquarters, do you mind if I share your thought's with them?
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
If Apple or Tesla were building Interstates I might agree with a central touch screen for system management but I don't trust Airstream to build that system. Not because they couldn't find a system that works, but because I don't trust Airstream to offer packages that actually met all their customers' needS. What happens when you try to upgrade a system and it isn't compatible with your new hardware? There is not industry standard communications protocols so you're back to lots of separate systems and displays.
Actually there is a system that provides central touch screen management of all coach systems. It's made by Silverleaf Electronics and until Advanced RV starting using it in their B-van conversions it was used exclusively by top end Class A motorhome builders. You can check it out at this link.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
The Air Forums have a lot of knowledgeable and experienced owners....

-Suspension Upgrades: Offer suspension options and upgrades beyond air bags in the rear.

For an example- heavier sway bars and shocks. A Nothing But The Best Class B motor coach means it not be terrifying when passing semitrailer trucks during crosswinds. (Myself and many other owners have had to upgrade suspensions to create a confident handling coach in all weather and conditions).

-Interstate soft brake pedal: If Mercedes is vague on whether there is a problem or not, I would expect Airstream to take the lead on inquiring for safety and in support of their valued customers.

.....We like our Interstate. It can be even better.

Haasman
You have some good recommendations but those related to the purely Sprinter systems are way beyond Airstream's control. As a major modifier of the Sprinter, Airstream has to work within the limits set by Mercedes' Daimler Vans engineering.

The VB Airsuspension is an approved Mercedes modification and is available as factory option in Europe. The VB Airsupension in also supported in the Mercedes Sprinter Workshop Information System (WIS). Mercedes will no approve modifications to the front suspension as it affects their crash certifications.

Their has been much discussion on other forums about the apparent Sprinter "soft brake pedal". In my view it's a myth. Sprinters have a power brake system that just happens to work a little differently than we are used to in the USA. This system will not give you full power boost unless you press the pedal hard and fast as you would in an emergency stop situation. If you press the pedal gently it makes a gentle stop that some consider a soft pedal.

Also I'll add that we get one of these "wish lists" on the forum every year. I don't think they are effective in getting the message to Airstream. If you have suggestions about the Interstate take the time and effort to contract Airstream by either email or old fashioned snail mail. They like to hear from their customers directly.

Before I got serious about buying a B-van in 2011 I sent letters to both Winnebago and Airstream. I told Winnebago that the 2500 Sprinters they initially were using for their ERA B-van had a useless capacity and they needed to use the 3500 Sprinters like Airstream. I told Airstream that the Interstate was too small and they needed to use the extended length Sprinter like Winnebago. They both took my advice.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
In addition to making the soap dispenser in the shower optional (I removed mine and plugged the holes making them fairly invisible) I'd like the sink out of the shower, too. It's too small to of much use, yet big enough that it just takes up valuable room. We always use the kitchen sink for everything - including brushing teeth.

As for the shades - 100% in agreement with making those manual. A dear friend is repairing one of ours right now that broke. Parts were mailed without charge from the manufacturer but it's a hassle. A second one still works but is giving hints of also breaking.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tigard , Oregon
2015 with 27,000 miles

Took a tour of the Airstream factory. Start improving the vehicle by 1st cleaning up the assembly plant. Work areas strewn with rivets, aluminum scrap, etc.. When your assembly area looks like crap, it leads to having an attitude of messy is OK. It is not OK. Part of the reason for so many issues with new vehicles. Attention to detail is greatly lacking and someone either does not care, does not understand, or business is so good it does not matter. Eventually it will catch up with you.

Dealers are making a killing off warranty repairs. Perhaps they are not bitching enough because it is profitable?

Have not participated in caravans, etc.. We all want these vehicle to provide pleasure, not be the center of aggravation. But, maybe through organization we can form a unified group that can demand an audience, start making Jackson Center more accountable. Are the right people at Thor actually aware of the issues, or are they being buried by service managers who love the additional work and profitability?

Regarding the vehicle itself here are a couple of my suggestions:

1. Find a way to put the AC on the roof. My hearing is bad enough without having to listen to an extremely loud AC unit a couple of feet from my head.

2. My unit is a 2015 with a nav system, radio, that may be the worst combination of -non-ergonomic, un-user friendly, set up ever in a vehicle. I suggest putting the Airstream manager who approved this system in one of these vehicles, send him out on the road with instructions to change radio stations twice, from AM to FM, and use the nav system to get to a specific location at the same time. Tell them we will issue an AMBER ALERT for them if they don't arrive in a day or two.

3. Get approval from MB for a warranty extension for the emission control sensors. In 27K miles I have had 3 go out and repaired at 3 seperate MB dealers around the country. Each service manager has told me this is a continuing issue with the Sprinter series. It is bad engineering, we should not be paying $1500 for each failure after the warranty expires.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
I think these are great recommendations. I have a contact at Airstream headquarters, do you mind if I share your thought's with them?
Wouldn't mind at all. That is the intention of me writing this thread. However I can be of support.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
That is a darn good list Haasman. As are the additions by others.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
Airstream Suggestions

If nothing else, can I get a lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side!
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you want any of these improvements, you'd be more likely to get them if you buy your own van and take it to a good upfitter to build it like you want than waiting for Airstream to incorporate most of them.

About a year after I got mine, I rec'd an email from some VP asking about my satisfaction. I gave him some of the ideas above and some of mine own and recommended he have someone follow this forum. He said he would. Well that went well.

When I get mine done, will report back.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
After I bought mine in 2013, I wrote to Bob Wheeler asking for the option to have all high-level furniture, including the bathroom, behind the driver. Two years later we have the Grand Tour!
At least I like to think I was instrumental!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Agree that the shower sink is small, but I like using it and the mirror for shaving just before I shower. Then I let the shower wash away my mess. I would think that shaving in the kitchen sink would be a bit difficult.

Now that I think of it, having the bottom of the kitchen sink slope mildly towards the drain from all directions would be good too - though not as important as with the shower drain.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Along the theme expressed by Oldforester, my main recommendation would be to develop good workmanship and clean up the danged vehicle irrespective of what other tweaks are made.

Airstream needs to understand that their high-end product is being bought by people with high-end educations and high-end careers. Many of these people are very hands-on and they are inevitably going to tinker with their Interstates, even the newest Interstates (thus quality problems cannot be blamed or dismissed on the basis of "ancient history" as sometimes seem to be the case with older Airstream trailers). When they do that tinkering, they are going to discover, and publish information regarding, the rat's nest of electrical and plumbing execution behind and underneath the cabinetry and other interior surfaces.

The best advertising that Airstream could buy for itself would be better execution that speaks to quality. Of course this same thing has been said before in many different ways, and still, it doesn't seem to happen. Business for Airstream continues to be too good for them to worry about it, I assume.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sugar Grove , Illinois
Interstate Improvements

I agree with all of the suggestions for improvement particularly the following:
-Illuminate control panel
-Soft brake pedal - I always pump mine once or twice to get better braking
-Interior Thermostat - agree the one now on the coach is not user friendly
-Radio controls - currently very clumsy when driving with map on screen-have to go to home screen, hit media button and then change channel and adjust volume. My Mercedes sedan has controls on steering wheel.
-Center curtain - what a great idea. The window screens are a pain to install.
-Owners manual - is very weak and then a manual for each system. Agree that on a $150,000 vehicle there should be a comprehensive manual for all systems.

Finally, I having issues dumping my waste tanks. Anyone else experiencing problems?
rogertharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogertharris View Post
-Soft brake pedal - I always pump mine once or twice to get better braking

Finally, I having issues dumping my waste tanks. Anyone else experiencing problems?
What kind of problems dumping?

If pumping your brakes gives you better braking, then you might have a brake problem. I agree that the initial travel when braking is a little more than most other vehicles I have driven but the braking remains the same after that initial travel. It may be caused by pad retraction but I don't know if MB uses that or not.

I do know that last summer when a car in front of me decided to stop in stop & go traffic unexpectedly, the ABS activated an we stopped on a dime. It did wake everyone up.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogertharris View Post

-Radio controls - currently very clumsy when driving with map on screen-have to go to home screen, hit media button and then change channel and adjust volume. My Mercedes sedan has controls on steering wheel.

Has Airstream taken a step backwards? I can adjust the volume on my Kenwood using the steering wheel + and - buttons.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 12-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
AI Suggestions

My 2015 Interstate radio volume can be controlled on the steering wheel too with the + & - buttons.
For a center curtain, I put up an auto clothes rod behind the driver seat and then hung two short (54") curtain panels wth the big holes at the top...one panel on each side, then pull together to close. Works great and no more hassles with the window covers in front.
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
As a AI owner who bought our (wife & I) FIRST ever RV in January 2016 - the 2016 EXT-GT, and as one who is very "hands on" I have found this thread to be one of the most interesting on the AirForum. Hope we will all continue to keep this one ticking! We have now spent over 110 days on-the-road, accumulating about 12k miles. We love our vehicle and have had few problems - yet. Yes, one electric shade failed and we found we blew a fuse so no big problem. Have thought about the "curtain" by the drivers seats, but as we live in south Florida, we have become accustomed to the front folding sunblock shade and find it is better than a curtain - just don't often use the two side window ones - if someone is that interesting is seeing us in the van - enjoy.
We did add a great "headboard" to the bed so our small dogs don't fall off when sleeping above our heads on our pillows at night and also a great safe in the rear that holds our laptops and other valuables - and shared both in photos and more with Airstream.
However, most of the other suggestions in this thread would add greatly to the value received, especially the slanted sinks and bath floors; light over instrument panel, etc. And we couldn't agree more with the idea that these are high-end vehicles and the best "advertising" would be improvements like those suggested.