Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Interstate Ninja # 6 ... 2019 4x4 + Air Ride

Hola ~

Yesterday we completed our first trip in the new van.

Cliff Notes: Pro’s

Fit and finish are the best we’ve ever seen from AS (so far)

Same can be said for MB items ...

We supplied our own fabric for seats (up charge) and are delighted 😀 once again with the ultra leather

Negatives:

Excessive wind/road noise from the roof fan again (same issue as our 2018 unit, with the change over to FF supplier). Can I assume AS decided to ignore this complaint?

Solution?

Has anyone tried the Hood scoop roof top fan covers to solve the problem? Our ‘18 was even duct taped and it was still a noisy little chimney blowing in the wind.

VB Air Suspension:

I’m unsure at this point.

Van sits higher in the rear end - which is unexpected. Not a problem, just didn’t anticipate this. Also, I have soooo many miles in these Interstates, the inch or two increase in the rear is perceptible from the driver seat. Just a bit of a difference, not a problem.

I mean, I may need more miles-under-the-tires before I can personally attest to the efficacy of the option for me. Understanding many people “rave” about the system as a “must have.” I didn’t feel a huge difference in the ride on this short trip. But I did think the suspension was wonderfully compliant when we hit an unexpected dip in the road at 62mph.

It will be helpful for us to put a few thousand miles on this unit (British Columbia motorcycle trip to Banff and Revelstoke coming up next month).

GUSTO:

Of course, Gus, our lab, is very excited about his new dog travel bed...as you can see.

Note:

Lots of smoke traveling yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F51D092F-4E50-460B-95B5-B3C34C7665A1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	320981   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DC441F1-0098-4E26-9556-FA1D1184A06D.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	320982  

Name:	FF2624F4-E5D9-4018-B862-02DC964E12BD.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	320983   Click image for larger version

Name:	565EA532-3723-4534-8ABB-4E45A5F6A029.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	320984  

Name:	7C25DD68-51A3-4AA4-986F-7E1C17B1E593.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	320985  
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sounds to me like all you need to do is quiet the Fantastic Fan. Maybe fit one of those thick insulation squares they sell for fans in the opening. I think they velcro or snap into place.

Otherwise, nice report. Enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thank you for the report Scott.

Did I noticed a different rear view camera?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Van sits higher in the rear end - which is unexpected. Not a problem, just didn’t anticipate this. Also, I have soooo many miles in these Interstates, the inch or two increase in the rear is perceptible from the driver seat. Just a bit of a difference, not a problem.
SCOTTP - Congrats on excellent stuff!
Comfy bed in new 4x4 Air Ride AI = A very happy & lucky black ninja dog!

Name:	H-L_infographic_1.2_grande.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	321001

Regarding VB Air w/ 4x4 - it does not make sense that the rear end is 1" or 2" higher in the rear end. Sure, the entire 4x4 van is higher both front/back from non-4x4. But according to Sprinter 4x4 spec, the front is actually raised slightly more than rear. Is it possible you are riding VB Air lifted? instead of ride height? It is supposed to Auto-level, so maybe needs to be checked. It is supposed to be calibrated from factory. If calibration was for non-4x4, and it now senses that rear is 0.9" lower than front, then it will compensate to raise the rear. Not sure if that makes sense, even to me Any led on VB Air controller?

Excerpt below from 2018 Sprinter 4x4 brochure:
"Body lifted by 10 cm (3.9 in) at the front and 7.5 cm (3 in) at the rear to easily clear uneven terrain"

Regarding VB Air ride comfort - from driver's or front passenger's POV, probably not much perceptible (for me or wife). But our passengers riding the rear sofa for anything than glass-smooth highway would not be happy without VB Air
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Orlando , Florida
Alex, the bed!!

Scott, can you confirm that the bed is the new style !!?? Photos please!
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Sounds to me like all you need to do is quiet the Fantastic Fan. Maybe fit one of those thick insulation squares they sell for fans in the opening. I think they velcro or snap into place.

Otherwise, nice report. Enjoy!
Yah know, I called it a Fantastic Fan, but it’s really the Dometic setup introduced in 2018. On our 2018 ASI we struggled with wind noise and water leaks until it was replaced. But we never could isolate the cabin from road noise or wind noise while underway.

Today I was up on the ladder looking at the unit and washing the roof + panels ... found the TV antenna really loose (note to self to visit the roof more often) ... anyway, the sealing or noise reduction process can’t be that complicated. I’m unsure of how the fan vent hoods/covers will help with wind noise, hopefully someone else has found satisfaction with this solution.

But just like our 2018 ASI you can hear lots of exterior noise while the coach is parked, and shut off.

We know AS “elevated” the little Dometic fan “chimney” for the fan when they consolidated vendors away from Fantastic to Dometic. Frankly I don’t feel like researching and fixing this problem.

I just want to be able to use a Bluetooth hands free device for communication - and right now, while underway, that’s impossible.

Oh, and Airstream Inc. Please don’t suggest I contact AS help line ... I tried that multiple times with the 2018 ASI along with dealer visits ... so I’m assuming you don’t have solution to the problem, because it might / should have made it to the production line by now?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Thank you for the report Scott.

Did I noticed a different rear view camera?
#fineToothComb

But I’m embarrassed to tell you I think it’s just the camera housing but...I could be wrong.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Thanks Alex for feedback on both points.

I shouldn’t assume the unit is calibrated properly or if this is the correct stance of the van. VB does seem to burp air occasionally, on its own, shortly after parking it etc.

Comfort for rear passenger...

Did I really spend $7500 on my passenger comfort OMG !!! I certainly HOPE NOT!!!

As I’ve mentioned before, I never heard my dad ask “how’s the ride back there kids?” while driving in our 1967 Country Squire station wagon (windows rolled up, no fresh air, two cabin-smoking adults positioned up front ...sometimes with a burning mosquito coil placed on the dashboard as air freshener).

Anyway - thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Did I really spend $7500 on my passenger comfort OMG !!! I certainly HOPE NOT!!!

As I’ve mentioned before, I never heard my dad ask “how’s the ride back there kids?” while driving in our 1967 Country Squire station wagon (windows rolled up, no fresh air, two cabin-smoking adults positioned up front ...sometimes with a burning mosquito coil placed on the dashboard as air freshener).
SCOTTP - that funny station wagon story remarkably similar to our family vacations as a kid
I originally picked VB Air option just for rear passenger comfort. But I did not realize until after I have owned this for 6,000 miles and reading a lot more about it that it has much more benefits to offer than just comfort. I think the biggest one is how it works with Adaptive ESP to help stability in crosswind situations. I have personally experienced this on a long trip on I-70 from UT to CO. It was an area susceptible to strong winds. We got broadsided numerous times with violent crosswinds going downhill at 75mph. It was still scary but I dont know where we would've landed without it. AI did not even move beyond its lane. To this day, I still do not comprehend what AI did. But I felt it counteracted the wind from the right, somehow engine power cutoff a bit for split sec. and/or some brake/speed scrubbing occured. I know I did not do it coz I was on cruise control. Just happened so fast, I had no time to figure it out. I think the $7,500 option earns it's stars in other safety contributions.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Alex, the bed!!

Scott, can you confirm that the bed is the new style !!?? Photos please!

Bed?

You want me to lower the back bench into a bed because there are supposed changes to the design?
Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Bed?

You want me to lower the back bench into a bed because there are supposed changes to the design?
If you have the new design, the side benches in the back are different. No longer do they have the side metal and wood contraption that would bother folks when sleeping. Bottom would just slide out and you insert the back rest in the space next to it.

Everything is supposed to be flatter, better/thicker cushion, etc.
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-28-2018, 04:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great reports thanks. When you have a chance some off-road photos would be appreciated. Clearance over bumps/rocks and esp. the departure angle.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
As to the air/fan noise, change the airflow coming off of it, I think I would try those airtabs they use on tractor trailers.

http://www.airtab.com

Or maybe a VHB attached aluminum air diverter, like you would see mounted to the front of a Thule roof bike rack

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-...8700-_-1689690
Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Alex, my AI reacted like yours did in a strong crosswind. I thought the Mercedes Crosswind Assist handled it without help from the VB air ride system. Could you point me to where I could read about how the VB system reacts in these situations. Thanks
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
Alex, my AI reacted like yours did in a strong crosswind. I thought the Mercedes Crosswind Assist handled it without help from the VB air ride system. Could you point me to where I could read about how the VB system reacts in these situations. Thanks
AI927 - It is hard to find just one doc or vid to give a 'complete' picture of how everything works together. I have looked in MB, VB, and AS site archives and found many pieces, which one has to kinda put together to get the big picture.

From VB Air site - start reading this page where a basic table shows their existing solutions. FYI, even though Sprinters only have rear air, it is still a VB Full Air suspension (VB-FullAir*2C). You can see how it is supposed help in certain conditions (i.e. reduce vehicle roll)
https://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/page/solutions.htmlu

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-28-10-12-54-1.png
Views:	73
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	321064

Adaptive ESP Test - this live test impressed me. However, I am pretty sure the van used did not have the benefit of added VB Air. So even more impressive to see how Adaptive ESP prevents a rollover. I can not comprehend where a rollover condition would differ from a +30mph crosswind-gust broadside-hit going downhill at 75mph. In my head, the effect to car/driver would be indistinguishable, hence Adaptive ESP would probably react in identical fashion? (just a guess)
https://youtu.be/kKA21rEP0FE

VB Air vid by AS marketing. It looks like the vid was derived to just translate the functionality of VB specs into video format for those of us who like pictures better than words. Effective in emphasizing it's benefits, I think.
https://youtu.be/XUOI4DE_rlw

I think the 2 systems are meant to complement each other. Its the reason why I personally think MB should just keep the VB Air standard. Below was the last presser from VB. I did not see anything after, so just an assumption that the 1st 2019 Sprinters could have the option available:

"As a 'VanPartner by Mercedes-Benz' we were informed about the new Sprinter at an early stage, and we got to work developing a number of air suspension kits right away. In the coming months we will be putting our full and semi air suspension kits through extensive tests. We anticipate that the kits will go on sale as soon as the first Sprinters become available from dealers in June 2018."
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Alex, thanks for the information. I have reviewed the information and watched the videos. After watching the video on the ESP I noticed one on MB Cross Wind Assist. It can be found here .

I believe this is what activated in my cross wind event. While the VB system may have lessened the event I don't think it took any active control during it. In other words the VB system did not have time to make any adjustment to the air system. The MB Cross Wind assist very briefly applied the anti lock brakes to one side of the van.

Thanks again for the info.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Interstate Ninja # 6 ... 2019 4x4 + Air Ride

Quote:
If you have the new design, the side benches in the back are different. No longer do they have the side metal and wood contraption that would bother folks when sleeping. Bottom would just slide out and you insert the back rest in the space next to it.

Everything is supposed to be flatter, better/thicker cushion, etc.

Hey

Original bed setup in our unit.

Now this may have something to do with our custom seating fabric, which was cut, sewn, produced for our 2018 ASI but never installed in the field.

Camera question:

Better view than before from the new housing ... I’m unsure why I didn’t shoot photos of the view.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I've got to ask.
Since you've owned several of these bad boys, how comfortable are the beds *really*?
The twin-bed version would appear to be vastly more comfortable but they are extremely difficult to find. We love our TT, but there are certainly pros to the AI.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Sleeping comfort:

For my wife and I, the sleeping accommodations are an 8+ on a ten point scale. Could be enhanced with a bed topper which would help alleviate my knee hitting the mechanism from the opposing club chairs.

Your mileage may vary (ymmv) obviously ... I’m an active athletic 59 yrs, she’s an athletic CrossFitter 34 yrs...and while she’ll happily camp in a tent ... me, not so much.

We sleep probably 15-25 nights per year in the ASI...

We have an upcoming 14 night trip planned for Banff, Revelstoke, Jasper, Glacier NP next week for some motorcycle touring, some hiking maybe a little bit of mtn biking.

Shake down cruise - 1,000 miles Eastern Oregon

I just finished a four day, three night, shakedown of the new van, and I’m very impressed!!!

Updated Likes:

The addition of two more coach batteries offers a remarkable improvement for “off-the-grid” living. Never ran the generator once. Batteries fully charged daily from the high mtn desert sunshine in Eastern Oregon. Wow ... what a pleasure to not have to chase energy, in an effort to keep the fridge running.

Auto Start generator can be set up easily to auto-start (during a specified block of time) - when your pre-set conditions are met (for example batteries below 11.0). You can be out enjoying your day, and the generator auto-start has you covered.

Power blinds all operating PERFECTLY (yes, I’m knocking on wood).

MB issues -> none to report at this point...smooth, zero warning lights, glitch free chassis with wheels properly balanced. We’ll get an alignment check before our upcoming trip - per usual.

Awning, Multiplex and all systems operating perfectly.

Updated Dislikes:

Please pass me a hammer, so I can use the claw-end to remove the Fusion unit. It’s horrible and there’s got-to-be a better product in the marketplace to choose from. From poor navigation advisement to common “lock up” this product hadn’t (seemingly) improved in three years since it drained my engine battery frequently on our 2017 ASI. We have yet to install our “dash kill switch” for the Fusion on this 2019 ASI, but I’ll feel a whole lot better when we do install the $125 kill switch. Ugh

I encourage everyone to really question the directions provided by the Garmin Fusion product. I won’t rant further - except to suggest you look at your phone directions to verify what the Garmin offers you for a route (or an atlas, road map, traditional product if no cell availability). I could post examples and photos but well...you get it.

Dometic ceiling fan - ��

Dometic ceiling fan is extremely noisy, the unsealed unit positioned on a small chimney (on the van roof) is creating (far too much) cabin noise for a Bluetooth phone conversation. Nothing like the serene quiet cabin of the 2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 ASI units.

Just those two items ....otherwise a FLAWLESS product, which enhanced my MAN weekend alone as I wandered the mountains of Eastern Oregon by motorcycle ....

Cottonwood Canyon Campground was nearly empty this Labor Day weekend

Ukiah, Oregon shown on the map - superb scenery and twisty roads

Image of auto start generator panel

Water photo is the lovely Columbia River, looking Westbound near Hood River at Blalock Canyon ....where just days prior, I had an “uncomfortable” conversation with an Oregon law enforcement officer (yes, while on my motorcycle)....about speed ... uhum...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B51593C6-42CC-4F4C-80BC-26CB958198EF.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	321472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE4FEC2D-AB85-4BFB-B7F7-C9F1D349E77A.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	321473  

Name:	1437F417-846E-42B8-8856-73CBC1CF6CB9.jpg