Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
Smile Interstate newbie

All though new to the Interstate I am not new to airstream. Daughter #1 is now the proud owner of my flying cloud 23'. I now have about 500 mi and two short duration camping trips on the 2016 GT. I want to thank everyone for previous posts which helped me during the purchase process. By reading most of the threads, I knew more about the Interstate than the Dealer staff. The GT is performing exceptionally well. All the systems i.e. plumbing, electrical,solar,battery, sprinter etc. are performing as specified in the manuals. I am one happy owner. Some observations:
1)Even with the knowledge in the threads I still left the sink faucet open when I lowered the lid. When I turned on the pump, it took me a few moments to realize my error ...I had to laugh
2)The 22"tv is DC powered not AC This is fine...I just wasn't expecting dc voltage. The TV performs just like any other AC powered TV except you can watch it at anytime.
3)the refr/freezer has ventilation With the refrigerator set at 2 the temperature stayed at 35. Of course this is Wisconsin and on the camping trips to Door county the outside temps were low 70's
4)Not a big fan of the Kenwood...but I will eventually make it work to my satisfaction
5)At Protags suggestion I used the unit to "run errands" around our mid size city...Green Bay It maneuvered better than I expected. You do have to allow time for people who inquire about this Airstream...but that's OK...I rather enjoy the interaction.
6) The combo shower/faucet weight prevented extension, but an easy fix based again on your posts.

I read all the posts on Mods and small place living and look forward to trying some of them.

Packer/Rams tomorrow...next test...tailgating

Old 10-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Congrats on the new GT.

How are you going to keep all the party animals out of it tomorrow. Grand Tour Open House before the Packers game lol.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
How are you going to keep all the party animals out of it tomorrow. Grand Tour Open House before the Packers game lol.
But the wet bath is off-limits to all visitors! Otherwise your new Interstate will become the communal port-a-potty!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, and welcome.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
1)Even with the knowledge in the threads I still left the sink faucet open when I lowered the lid. When I turned on the pump, it took me a few moments to realize my error ...I had to laugh
I spent part of this past week traveling for the first time with my teenager. She was a good sport about it, but frankly most teenagers detest RVs on general principle (because RVs are for old farts) and she is no exception. I was very grateful for one of the fail-safes that my husband and I installed, that being the gray water tank emergency overflow valve (installation instructions here). Because guess what?? We overflowed the tank.

Twice I shut the sink cover with the faucet handle in the wrong position and it started to run. I caught it quickly both times, but those errors plus her unfamiliarity with the need to conserve water while RVing were cumulative, and sure enough, when I went to slug the dump hose by releasing the gray water, I was greeted with evidence of an ongoing overflow event. But because we had installed the emergency relief valve, there was no water back-up into the shower pan or flooding of our coach.

In another thread I mentioned the difference between computational knowledge and experiential knowledge. Experientially, the gray water limitation was reinforced for me during this process. After we got home, I hooked up my 50' garden hose and measured the flow rate within our Interstate. The gray tank overflows at an equivalent of about four minutes of cumulative open-tap water use. That represents a pretty unforgiving performance envelope.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
summerwood: Congrats, sounds like you got a keeper. I put a reminder label on the underneath side of the sink lid. So far it has prevented a repeat of an earlier filling of the gray tank.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But the wet bath is off-limits to all visitors! Otherwise your new Interstate will become the communal port-a-potty!
The Packers won, how did your Grand Tour do?

Bet you had a blast. Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
Packer tailgating

Yes...great fun...and yes wet bath off limits to others except family...Protag.
for those who have not been to Lambeau field for a game, if you walk thru the lot before the game you can eat and drink as much as you can handle...especially Brats,,Beer and cheese curds. The tailgaters will offer these to you for any conversation about Packers...especially if you are wearing an opposing jersey. Great fun and great weather for this time of the year