Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #1061
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I hate to hear that it didn't work. I got an unexpected shower when my blew off. I tighten the nut and no problem since. I shortened the little lever so the glass top wouldn't hit in the down position. If on tank water the pump noise gives it away but my wife left it on hooked up to city water and when I caught it the gray water was almost full. At least it wasn't coming up through the shower drain yet
It won't come up through the shower drain. That's one side effect of having Hepvo valves instead of P-traps. If you overflow the gray tank from the galley sink, the galley sink will back up (well, fail to drain, anyway), but the shower won't back up.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #1062
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Do you have a pressure valve on the inlet from the city water? Is this happening due to over pressure or just the gooseneck not meant to hold any kind of pressure?

I was planning on installing... good to have read this. Will install but check immediately to validate if I run into the same situation...

I was on pump pressure, not city water and was surprised [emoji44]. It appeared to me that the faucet gooseneck connection is not designed to hold pressure against a closed valve, the plastic retainer ring has some give to it.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #1063
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It won't come up through the shower drain. That's one side effect of having Hepvo valves instead of P-traps. If you overflow the gray tank from the galley sink, the galley sink will back up (well, fail to drain, anyway), but the shower won't back up.
That must have been from my guess as to how full the gray water was and my wife saying I'll just take a fast shower. It was raining and and I didn't want go dump but was forced to in the end. Oh well just another learning experience.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:15 AM   #1064
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
I installed a sound bar (Samsung) in the rear of our Interstate; I wound up mounting the sound bar within the window sill, which actually fit perfectly, looks OEM and is real functional in adjusting the volume when the remote is MIA.... I was able to find a simple Audio cable which I routed through the existing loom and then tucked it behind the wall paneling and routed it to the sub-bar sitting on the ledge of the window.

The sound bar has a blue-tooth subwoofer which I mounted under the rear couch within the cargo area; the AC power cable is connected to the outlet down by where your feet are under the cup holders. I removed the wheel well plastic trim in order to route the power cable behind the trim via the cup holder access point. The sound bar itself is powered off the same outlet as the TV, which is powered via the AC-to-DC inverter.

All in all, the sound bar made a huge difference when watching movies and such..
scott.semone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #1065
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
sure could come in handy

finally a well conceived front bed solution

https://pleasureway.com/store/?inf_c...375cda92adddfe
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #1066
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
finally a well conceived front bed solution

https://pleasureway.com/store/?inf_c...375cda92adddfe
Thanks for posting this - looks like the best, most compact solution for an extra bed in in a Sprinter van.

"Pleasure-Way Inflatable Air Bed for Front Cabin
Designed for Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans (years 2007-2017)"
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #1067
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
T1N Sprinter-based Interstate owners --

If you have ever wished for a larger radio space, what they call a "double din" instead of the "single din" that characterizes the OEM dash, you should look at this DIYer's pics below. What a job!

We'd like to add an Apple CarPlay device but we'd need to adapt it somehow. This is one way of doing it, but very labor-intensive, and requiring a lot of skill.

Link:

Making a dash for it...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #1068
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I could do that- I’ve done a bunch of fibreglass fabrication.

But I just fit a Pioneer NEX 3300. It has Airplay, XM, CD and a bunch of other stuff.
I posted a picture someplace. It will fit in the stock opening, but a little snug for all the wiring. I can give more details if desired.

Mark

EDIT:
I found one pic- I don’t have one with it closed- it can be operated closed just fine, but of course minimal controls that way.
Works very well.

BTW, the USB port you can see in one of the blank buttons is the USB input for the unit. I just cut one to make it the USB end fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BB54C4B-79D0-4E11-ABE6-AC1301E562A1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	304645  
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #1069
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I like that, but LB_3 is worried that the general style of model is too fragile. And it is true that we don't seem to do well with breakable objects in the Interstate.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:20 AM   #1070
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
Relocating the LPG switch: I installed an additional switch inside the cabinet which is often referred to as the "control panel"; I installed the second switch in series, so that both switches need to be in the "ON" position in order for LP Gas to flow via the solenoid.

This allows me to turn the solenoid ON &OFF from inside the cabin; also it maintains the NFPA code concern when filling LPG. The LPG fill station attendant still has an active switch which they can also power down the solenoid when filling the LPG tank. My guy in my turn always leaves it in the "OFF" position when he finishes filling the tank; I typically have to turn it ON afterwards.

I found that this would drastically improve my battery storage when camping without power, and is super convenient when turning on the LP Gas for cooking and or running the generator.

I ran the wiring via a hole I made under the rear cup holder, where the low point water drain is located in our 2014 Lounge. I ran the wiring under the jack-knife seat (over the passenger wheel), then I removed the screws which hold the cabinet door to the hinges to the control panel area, as well as the screws to the control panel face in order to fish a snake-wire down to the space under the seating area (very easy and super convenient). I drilled a hole within some real-estate on the control panel which was already routed out; next to the generator switch. However, I found that the control panels seem to be different from year to year. In fact, we just purchased a 2017 Tommy Bahama Grand Tour; I'm already thinking about how to run an additional switch for the LPG. Keeping in mind, the control panel is located towards the front area of the cabin, just behind the drivers seat. I may consider placing the interior switch on the galley cabinet wall which will be convenient for when cooking and want to use the inside stove.

I'll know more once we pick it up (currently in Las Vegas dealer...)
scott.semone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #1071
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
But I just fit a Pioneer NEX 3300. ... It will fit in the stock opening, but a little snug for all the wiring. I can give more details if desired.
Actually we've gone round and round on what to do with this, and have come back to look at this same unit seriously.

Did you do your own install?

Also, LB_3 wants to know whether you had to install it a bit proud of the opening in order for the flip-up mechanism to clear the dash. The original radio is a bit recessed and he was worried about the potential for an unclean install.

The break-ability of the motor and mechanism still causes concern, but there's a 4-year protection plan on Amazon for 25 bucks. That starts to make it attractive.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #1072
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Actually we've gone round and round on what to do with this, and have come back to look at this same unit seriously.

Did you do your own install?

Also, LB_3 wants to know whether you had to install it a bit proud of the opening in order for the flip-up mechanism to clear the dash. The original radio is a bit recessed and he was worried about the potential for an unclean install.

The break-ability of the motor and mechanism still causes concern, but there's a 4-year protection plan on Amazon for 25 bucks. That starts to make it attractive.

Yes, I installed it.
I will take some pictures so you can see clearances.
It would have more room for wiring if a small spacer to bring it out a little more- but it worked for me without it.
I have the XM tuner also (need to get that separately, but I already had one from the old unit).
I think I still have your email (maybe you could PM it to me again, just in case). I can take pics in the morning.

Mark

Edit:
I have the ‘auto open/auto close’ turned off. So I press the button to open and close. that can cut down on the times it opens/closes- and maybe less chance of hitting something also that way?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #1073

2006 22' Interstate
Highland , Indiana
Avh-3300nex

I also have the same radio on my 2006 T1N. I've only had it for about a month, but so far I like it. The screen clears everything and I also have the auto open/close turned off. I just close it when I park somewhere that theft is a concern. Fit well, but get all the wiring behind it is a bit of a stuff.
Nekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #1074
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Nekit! Welcome to the forum!

I'm always amazed at who pops up in conversation in very specific contexts, both online and offline.

Yesterday we went to one of those brick-and-mortars that sell car stereos, back-up cameras, speakers, security systems, and other electronic up-fits (but not trucker-style security cameras, alas). We went to look at their inventory as we mull over this radio decision, but we were in our daily drivers at the time, not our Interstate. So, as I described the Interstate in terms of what we'd need for system upgrade, the sales guy noted that he recently had another fancy MB camper van customer who ordered a lot of work from him (it sounded like that owner was jettisoning the much-maligned Fusion unit).

I asked him what color that other Sprinter was, but I already knew the answer: it was white. Dollars to donuts, it was the same white Interstate that I'd spotted at our city's Christmas parade (where our dog and I marched for several years as we belong to a local volunteer group). There's someone quite close to us who is apparently not a forum poster but who owns a white Interstate, and apparently great minds think alike re: these upgrades. That owner didn't pop up on this forum, but they did at the car stereo shop yesterday.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #1075
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
BTW, I got the unit from Crutchfield, it included wiring and antenna adapters and instructions. That saves a bunch of time.

There is a small pocket on the passenger side of the radio- near the dash (rear of vehicle). The XM tuner fits right in there. One less thing to jam in the rear.
I soldered/shrinktubed the wiring adapter, so no big crimps. Plus I find doing it that way a lot more reliable, even with good crimps and properly pliers. (I use the ‘Western Union’ type splice).

I’ll get out this morning and take some pics.
Mark
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #1076
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
sorry for the dust- I didn't wipe it off and while I didn't even notice it just looking, the flash shows it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stereo_MAH1228.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	304946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_MAH1229.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	304947  

Name:	Stereo_MAH1230.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	304948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_MAH1231.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	304949  

Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #1077
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
last two
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stereo_MAH1227.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	304950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_MAH1222.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	304951  

Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #1078
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Muchas gracias!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #1079
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks for the pics.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #1080
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My back got sore just looking at the picture of the PleasureWay air mattress for a front seat bed. But for kids, whose sleeping position also make me sore just to look at, I can see how it would work.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote