Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #721
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Much appreciate your post on the speaker replacement and sound deadening, this will be an early project on my new vehicle when delivered. Apparently a new Fusion 8" touchscreen/hard button unit will replace the Kenwood for 2017.

You mention a positive wire in the overhead. Could you please elaborate on the location and how it is powered and switched ? If the 2017 is similar, I will use this for my Valentine 1.

Thanks again.
You are welcome.

I tapped into the line that runs to the 12vdc power plug located, at least in my 2011, in the upper left side of the overhead compartment over the driver's seat. However, I believe Airstream now wires it so if the ignition is on, the receiver/nav unit is powered by the chassis battery, if that's not on, then the house batteries are used. But I tend to doubt how they can do that, because if there is an intermittent connection switching back and forth, the receiver will lose all its settings. But I don't know for sure how they currently wire it up (probably a relay). So you may not need to worry about it, or at least, figure out how they currently are wiring them up. Most receivers have two positive connections. One is always on, 12vdc. The other is ignition on only. The ignition connection senses when the ignition is on, and that turns on the power from the other, always on, source. In reality, I did not have to connect the ignition sensor connection to the house battery, I could have just used the always on chassis battery connection, through the switch. Didn't figure that out till I ran the wire, so I just went ahead and used it. I may later use the house battery to power the receiver if the chassis isn't up to the task of powering it when the engine is off since I ran the wire to under the dash, but I doubt that will be the case.

As for the speaker replacement, I highly recommend the adapter and speaker combination as it is a perfect fit. Other 6.5" may not be (I had to send two sets back before I found one that worked). The adapter is mandatory to use a 6.5" speaker. I also highly recommend Crutchfield to purchase them and for the technical drawings to remove the panels and color coded wire schematics, including figuring out which wire is positive-negative for the speakers. They also sell inexpensive tools you will need to remove the door panel (or you can find them also at Harbor Freight).

I bought the Dynamat off Amazon. It will take two full door kits (one two door kit for each door) as the kit is designed for a car, not a large panel van. Cut it in smaller pieces to fit in the door itself and take your time. It's not hard, but you have to be careful. Clean the surface with some alcohol before applying as best you can. It won't be very dirty.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #722
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Appreciate your reply with further details. I've been swapping speakers and radios in cars since the early 1970s, but your link to the adaptors and confirmation of feasibility are a big help.

Adding Dynamat is also a great idea while the door panels are off, I use this routinely in restoring old sports cars. In new Sprinters Mercedes also offers option code H04, "heat insulation front compartment" in which "the doors are fitted with additional insulation mats". Perhaps I'll see whether I can find a part number for these mats, as I doubt that Airstream specifies H04.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #723
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
After 200 miles of road testing yesterday, I pronounce my strange side window visor a success. It may not be the optimal model of such a device, but it is a functional model, and my Interstate driving life has improved significantly because of it.

Here's a typical on-the-road view as I see it. You can see that troublesome nuclear fusion reactor in the sky at photo left, behind the visor, just above the hem, the bulk of its radiant wrath mercifully blocked by the device. I am always the early-morning driver (inserting understatement of the century here: husband is not a morning person) so this kind of functionality has to happen for me somehow.

What I found on the road is that I tend to finger-shove the magnets this way and that way to achieve the optimal configuration for prevailing conditions, in this case, raising up the portion at the flap window post. In other words, I don't just leave the thing hanging wholesale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_5505.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	267244  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #724
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
InterBlog - your post on side sun shades inspired me to make some too. We are getting ready for a trip diving north so side shades are definitely needed. I also saw something on the Instructables web site that made me realize you could also use something like a thin piece of plastic and slip it into the rubber seal around the side windows inside the door frame.

Then I tried using a piece of heavy paper board like a file folder that worked too. But I wanted something that covered most of the window like your shades. Then I remembered I had a lot of Ramboard left over from a flooring project. Ramboard is just heavy paper board used to protect floors when doing remodeling project.

My shades are not elegant, there are no cool magnets - but it looks like it will work and they can be just recycled when worn out. Here are some photos of my final cut pieces. Ready to hit the road again - heading to Churchill, MB on the Hudson Bay to cool off from all this heat and humidity. We drive to Thompson, MB. Leave the van at an RV park and take a train to Churchill. Should be a real adventure.

Inside driver's side.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468945368.184023.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	267253

Outside passengers side.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468945649.497110.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	267254

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #725
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Window tinting works well too.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #726
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Window tinting works well too.
Where it's legal, so check your state's regulations before spending the money. In Louisiana, for example, it's not legal to tint windows forward of the B-pillar. Cops in Louisiana want to be able to see the driver as they approach a vehicle.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #727
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Where it's legal, so check your state's regulations before spending the money. In Louisiana, for example, it's not legal to tint windows forward of the B-pillar. Cops in Louisiana want to be able to see the driver as they approach a vehicle.
It isn't legal in California either but if you don't get too dark you will never get hassled or at least I don't know anyone who has. You can still see through mine but does an amazing job of blocking heat and ultra-violet rays. Plenty of "Limo" tint out there for the po po to pull over. Besides it's not a lot of money and is a fix-it ticket.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #728
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Forward of the B-pillar we used the lightest tint 3-M makes. It blocks infrared (heat) but looks factory. Aft we get a couple shades darker.

The desert sun in SoCal will cook you unless you get the 3-M film. Cheaper stuff just does not work.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #729
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Besides it's not a lot of money and is a fix-it ticket.
I'd have to fix it every year to get my vehicle inspection sticker. I know because I already had to remove front window tint on the Dodge Durango SUV I used to drive after the SUV failed an inspection.

So now I just use cling-film baby sunshades…
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019XII97K...G0HTET3J151BP7
The 13×19 size fits my Interstate's front windows if I mount them in portrait orientation instead of landscape orientation, and it's just a matter of moments to peel or stick.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #730
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'd have to fix it every year to get my vehicle inspection sticker. I know because I already had to remove front window tint on the Dodge Durango SUV I used to drive after the SUV failed an inspection.

So now I just use cling-film baby sunshades…
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019XII97K...G0HTET3J151BP7
The 13×19 size fits my Interstate's front windows if I mount them in portrait orientation instead of landscape orientation, and it's just a matter of moments to peel or stick.
Thanks Protag - those look like a good option.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #731
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
We have a couple of those too
Old 07-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... We are getting ready for a trip diving north so side shades are definitely needed. ...
- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Bingo. North. The sun is going to rise and set within your exact zones of aggravation. Which means a good part of your driving day is going to be spent fighting it. This was my motivation at this time. My husband and I are reverse snowbirds when time and circumstances allow it (who the hell would NOT be, living in Houston?!). I'm not going to count our current chickens until they are hatched, but we, too, are hoping to soon drive north.

Tinting won't get this kind of job done the way it needs to be done. Besides which, there's a reason why I'm a morning person. I have poor eyesight. Good enough for a DL, but I don't see optimally at night so I don't bother to stay up late, hence a tendency to be an early riser. I would go to my grave before I would tint my windows. I might go to my grave IF I tint my windows.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #733
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks Protag - those look like a good option.
Those are a good commercially-available measure for some people. I tried them but they let through too much light for me. I wear polarized Safety Rx sunglasses because I have to have them for my job, and no element of side curvature is possible with my prescription. If someone could use the wrapping style sunglasses, this would be a much simpler issue for them, and the lighter sun shades would probably work.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #734
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Tinting won't get this kind of job done the way it needs to be done. I have poor eyesight. Good enough for a DL, but I don't see optimally at night so I don't bother to stay up late, hence a tendency to be an early riser. I would go to my grave before I would tint my windows. I might go to my grave IF I tint my windows.
I understand your concerns, you do however realize that you can see much better looking out of tinted windows than looking in.

Tinting my windows was the 1st thing I did over 2 years and 20,000 miles ago. So glad I did and I don't routinely tint all of my cars. My Wife and my daily drivers are just factory tint. My Van and my Viper added aftermarket.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #735
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pasadena , California
100% UV blocking Window Film

One of the first things I did for my 2016 AI was getting window film for the front windshield and front door windows. I had the 3M "Crystalline" film applied. It has 100% UV blocking, and comes in a variety of tinting (for blocking infrared rays). I used 20% tint (80% transmission) for the front windshield and 40% tint (60% transmission) for the doors. It basically looks like there is no tint on the front of the vehicle, especially compared to the black-out tint on the rest of the vehicle.

It is not illegal to have clear window film that gives 100% UV blocking.

I did this right before a long trip from California to Austin, Texas for last October's Formula 1 races.

I am a doctor who deals with rejuvenating skin using lasers and other treatments, so protecting from UV rays was important. None of us need the accelerated aging of the skin, and women (as well as men) also have increased risk of developing melasma if they have excess UV exposure. Melasma is a condition where there are large brown patches on the face, distributed in a symmetric pattern. We offer treatments for the melasma and other skin aging problems, but prevention is most important. I would highly recommend getting at least the 100% UV film, even with no tint, on the front of the vehicle. You are spending a long time driving, and sitting behind those large glass openings to the sun really has its negative effects.

Also, I had the front end of the vehicle clear-bra'd, which included the complete hood, bumper, and front fenders/flares. I didn't want the inevitable stone chips on the long first journey.
jsc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #736
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interstate Mods - I'll go First

We use the UV tint and infrared 3M film on front side windows in a very light tint, and the rears are a bit darker. It seems to cut the heat out without being an issue at night on our cars.

The TV came tinted from the factory, darker in the rear side and back windows. Seems to have a similar effect.

I don't have any issue seeing well enough at night. It cuts a lot of glare which actually helps.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #737
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
You can always use these

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469101330.004313.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  40.3 KB

(Not that I do and that's not me)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #738
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
You can always use these
...(Not that I do and that's not me)
The pic should be captioned "these things are extremely heavy and uncomfortable". I have to wear safety this, that, and the other thing for work. Very often what are called OTS, OTG, or OPG glasses which are big like that and are layered on top of prescription lenses. Maybe not so bad for a short stint, but try wearing them hour after hour - it's very fatiguing, especially when temps are in the 90's. They remind me of this, the original Alien face-hugger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	face-hugger.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	267413  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #739
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Appreciate your reply with further details. I've been swapping speakers and radios in cars since the early 1970s, but your link to the adaptors and confirmation of feasibility are a big help.

Adding Dynamat is also a great idea while the door panels are off, I use this routinely in restoring old sports cars. In new Sprinters Mercedes also offers option code H04, "heat insulation front compartment" in which "the doors are fitted with additional insulation mats". Perhaps I'll see whether I can find a part number for these mats, as I doubt that Airstream specifies H04.
Just took a test drive after installing the new speakers and Dynamat-the difference was amazing. I could actually HEAR the music and the van is about as quiet as a car. Apparently, there's a good deal of sound deadening from the front and floor, but the fact that there is none whatsoever in the doors makes them the culprit for road noise.

Highly recommended.

GM
Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #740
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Just took a test drive after installing the new speakers and Dynamat-the difference was amazing. I could actually HEAR the music and the van is about as quiet as a car. Apparently, there's a good deal of sound deadening from the front and floor, but the fact that there is none whatsoever in the doors makes them the culprit for road noise.

Highly recommended.

GM
This is great to know, thanks very much. This is one of the first things I'll attend to after delivery.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote