Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

What does that do to the mileage?
I haven't been able to calculate mileage yet. But I think it should stay the same if not get better. It all depends on your driving habits. And I'm conservative at cruise.

I did it equally for mileage and performance.
They were not able to remove speed limiter, but what's the point in trying to run the thing past 80 anyway.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
But, the French quarter is so close!

Maggie
Well, it's true that the French Quarter has gone downhill since the days when I hung out there, but it's not a downhill drive from where I live, so going there has no effect on my fuel mileage.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
They were not able to remove speed limiter
I am very curious about this. Removal of the speed limiter is the sole reason I have been interested in buying the Renntech tune. Did they say why? Is there any other information you can provide?
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I am very curious about this. Removal of the speed limiter is the sole reason I have been interested in buying the Renntech tune. Did they say why? Is there any other information you can provide?
This is probably to prevent engine over-rev as diesels obviously, do not rev as high as gas engines.
Road Jager
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If I remember correctly the Euro modes have no governor on them. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #66

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
If I remember correctly the Euro modes have no governor on them. Jim
Probably because they also have the Autobahn, where speed limits are verboten!

Which, if that's the reason, would mean that there's no technical reason to have one here, either, only a political one.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240

It wasn't that they weren't able to do.

They said the limiter was in another part of the computer and since my was the first 2010/2008 sprinter chassis they were tuning that it would take more time. I may go back for it but top end wasn't my concern.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Probably because they also have the Autobahn, where speed limits are verboten!

Which, if that's the reason, would mean that there's no technical reason to have one here, either, only a political one.
Vehicles manufactured in Germany do have a 155mph limit on them. It was negotiated a quite a few years ago when there was discussion of actually posting a speed limit for emissions reasons. The German manufacturers and the powers to be negotiated the electronic limitation in the cars computers. This limitation exists on German cars imported into all markets. It kind of pisses the Germans off a bit knowing that others, including the Italian auto manufacturers, do not have to limit theirs and can sell them that way in Germany.
This is a rather moot discussion as I would not want to pilot our Sprinters into the speed realm above 80 mph.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
This is a rather moot discussion as I would not want to pilot our Sprinters into the speed realm above 80 mph.
Agreed. I don't know of anywhere in the US with a posted speed limit higher than 75mph. An 80mph top speed works for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Fort Smith , Arkansas
I'm wanting to upgrade the suspension on the Interstate. Does anyone have experience with the shocks or air bags.
BL1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Agreed. I don't know of anywhere in the US with a posted speed limit higher than 75mph. An 80mph top speed works for me.
I-10 in Texas is posted for 80mph.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #72

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I-10 in Texas is posted for 80mph.
I'm obviously behind the times. I feel so old…
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

I'm obviously behind the times. I feel so old…
It's also in Utah. Montana used to have a highway that said 'use reasonable speed' and was dubbed the autobahn of America.

Actually you can go as fast as you want anywhere you want so long as you don't get caught.

What's the saying? It's only illegal if you get caught.....
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #74

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It's also in Utah. Montana used to have a highway that said 'use reasonable speed' and was dubbed the autobahn of America.

Actually you can go as fast as you want anywhere you want so long as you don't get caught.

What's the saying? It's only illegal if you get caught.....
And as long as you can afford the tickets when you do get caught… If I ever get a ticket in my Interstate, the price of the ticket has to come out of my camping budget. And the day off to go to court has to come out of my precious time off from work that I've reserved for camping. Not worth it for me.

I would not be comfortable driving an Interstate over 75mph anyway, no matter if there's a higher speed limit.

All I ask is that when you zoom past fast enough to blow my doors off, make sure you wait until there's at least a couple of car lengths between us before you cut back into my lane. I really hate it when people miss me by mere inches when they actually have all the room in the world to pass.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Wouldn't be me blowing by. I cruise a comfortable 65,70 tops in my interstate.

I'd be shocked if I ever get a speeding ticket in my interstate. I've had fast cars and boats, but the reason for the interstate is to just take it easy. No need to rush through life anymore. There's only one finish line and I'm in no hurry.

What I am surprised with is that I noticed during my last few trips that while cruising along at my comfortable 65, my doors where almost blown off by those giant motor-coaches. You know the ones that you could have 10 interstates for. And I never see them stopped for speeding. What speeds do they cruise at? 90?

On another note:

While discussing highway cruising I've noticed when getting close to the rear of a semitrailer (unofficially drafting) the interstate will rock quite a bit due to air coming off the semitrailer. A strange uncomfortable ride. I'll always tend to "back off" ( as most of there mud flaps say).....
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240

Back to this for a moment.

Renntech called today and would like to redo the ECU tune as they have been working on the limiter issue.

I'll keep all posted.

Happy trails......
Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Ok
Latest mod:

Removed a portion of the expandable part of bathroom wall so that toilet seat can now be raised without having to open this extension.

The panel is just flush now and you don't have to go through a bunch of rigaramoris to use the bathroom.

Another great feature is that since the panel is still mounted on the piano hinges and not restricted to opening only 5", you can actually swing it out for ease of cleaning or airing out.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #78

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Removed a portion of the expandable part of bathroom wall so that toilet seat can now be raised without having to open this extension.

The panel is just flush now and you don't have to go through a bunch of rigaramoris to use the bathroom.
Now all you need is another towel bar in there, and you're all set.

I don't plan to modify my extension, because I have to open it if I intend to sit in the bathroom. I sometimes do seated showers, and I've discovered that I can't sit in the bathroom with the extension closed unless I lean forward uncomfortably. My shoulders are wider than the narrow end of the bathroom.

To avoid the rigamarole, I have a simple rule regarding the extension. Closed for travel, open for camping. Doesn't bother me.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I kind of thought for the miniscule amount of space gained when it's closed, if it's really worth all of the trouble and extra hardware.

Personally I could live w/ it fixed extended if the leading corner was radiused. But then I'm not a big guy so my opinion is tainted by that.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Ours stays in the extended position all the time, has never been a problem for us. I actually wondered why they made it moveable at all.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote