Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Interstate Mods - I'll go First

I'll go first. I changed out all the Sprinter speakers for Alpine and added a powered sub woofer. I placed it the overhead compartment above the passenger seat.

The radio now sound much better in my opinion.

Let hear about everyones modifications.
BL1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Added slip-on chrome tips for both exhaust pipes.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had magazine racks made and stained to match the interior, two at the rear on the cabin ends of the benches, one larger one directly behind the driver's seat.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Some small mods/additions for now: I added a 'Borla' slip-on engine exhaust tip, clear-bra for front of vehicle and two removable exterior mirror bras made. Renntech ECU tuning. Screens were added to the doors, Gerald's modification done to the dump-hose (ref. Yahoo Airstream forum). We installed the M/Benz I-pod adapter and programmed it. I had the driver's and passenger windows and front windshield tinted with a 3m product that helps reduce UV rays.
On my list to get done soon will be the relocation of the LP tank switch from the service compartment on the exterior, to the electrical panel in the coach. I am working on a chrome tip for the APU exhaust. The replacement of the two rear speakers with upgraded ones that will fit in the existing holes. Presently the street-side rear speaker is inop.
New Thule rack to carry our bikes, was a recent birthday gift from my wife.
I like our I3500!
Road Jager
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
I am working on a chrome tip for the APU exhaust.
Road Jager
FWIW I used a chrome sink drain pipe for the gen exhaust.

What Borla P/N tip did you use? I scoured the internet w/o success. Finally got one at Advance Auto w/ bologna sliced tip and installed backwards.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I added a V12 Detroit Deisel to repower the scrawny electric vent fan in the bathroom of my Overlander. Moves a lot more air but the GF is not happy with the noise.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A lot of minor things, one major. The major thing, a Viper alarm system with two-way remote.
Minor things are all non-permanent, the most expensive being the addition of a Fiamma Privacy Room to enclose the area under the awning. I'll use it for the first time next week, and let you know how it works. Hopefully well enough to be worth the expense.
Most of the time I use a Swagman hitch-mount bike rack, but for hurricane evacuation when I'l need to carry spare fuel, I've got a hitch-mount cargo tray as well. Given a choice between carrying the bike inside or carrying fuel inside, I'll carry the bike inside, even though it will completely block the aisle in transit. It's not like I can move around the vehicle while I'm driving anyway.
I added WeatherTech window visors to both front windows. When I take my rig to work and park it in the lot, leaving the tip-out windows open inconveniences people who park alongside, and in order for the rooftop MaxxFan to do its job, there has to be be a way for air to get in as well as out. The visors fill the bill.
Other minor mods are just the addition of a few Command Adhesive accessories to provide a safe place by the bed to set my eyeglasses and hang my keys, a dry-erase maker board by the galley, hooks in the galley to hang potholders and Ove-Gloves, and a soap dish in the bathroom.
Oh, and after dropping the television remote under the sofa and having to disassemble the sofa to retrieve the remote during my first-ever camping trip in my Interstate back in February, I added Velcro to the remote so I can stick it up next to the TV when it's not in use.

Quote:
On my list to get done soon will be the relocation of the LP tank switch from the service compartment on the exterior, to the electrical panel in the coach.
You may want to rethink that part. National Fire Protection Agency publishes NFPA 58, the LP Gas Code. This code requires propane dealers to shut off the service switch themselves (not relying upon your word that it's off) when refilling your tank. That's why the switch is always located right beside the fill valve on all ASME propane tanks. Once you make that change, you'll find that propane dealers won't sell to you anymore. They could lose their license if they do.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW I used a chrome sink drain pipe for the gen exhaust.

What Borla P/N tip did you use? I scoured the internet w/o success. Finally got one at Advance Auto w/ bologna sliced tip and installed backwards.
Check this link. It looks like this one. I do not have the P/N as I installed it last year. Verify your exhaust pipe dimensions.
Borla Exhaust Tips - Single Oval Rolled Angle Cut with Embossed Tip

Protagonist, thanks for the heads-up on the LP switch relocation. I just do not trust that door retainer pin for many uses. If you leave the switch on, the electrical drain is significant.
Trip-On
Road Jager
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
You may want to rethink that part. National Fire Protection Agency publishes NFPA 58, the LP Gas Code. This code requires propane dealers to shut off the service switch themselves (not relying upon your word that it's off) when refilling your tank. That's why the switch is always located right beside the fill valve on all ASME propane tanks. Once you make that change, you'll find that propane dealers won't sell to you anymore. They could lose their license if they do.
You can have the best of both. I plan to install a second switch (inside) in series with the one at the fill panel. Both switches would have to be ON (closed) to open the valve. I have the switch which matches the ones on the two panels inside the slider door. And on mine there is a blank position available in one of the 4-gang panels. Now I just have to find the time to run the wires.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
You can have the best of both. I plan to install a second switch (inside) in series with the one at the fill panel. Both switches would have to be ON (closed) to open the valve. I have the switch which matches the ones on the two panels inside the slider door. And on mine there is a blank position available in one of the 4-gang panels. Now I just have to find the time to run the wires.
That can work. The main point of my advice was to not get rid of the outside switch.

Also, if you've got both inside and outside switches, if the LP gas alarm goes off, I'd recommend you shut off the propane from outside, not inside. I don't know if the inside switch would spark at all when turned on or off, but best not to take chances when you've got a propane leak.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I just do not trust that door retainer pin for many uses.
Road Jager
My plastic doohickey was already missing when I got mine at 4K miles. Replaced w/ a screw stubbed out and a knob to spring the cover out and over the end of the screw. May put a wing nut on the end of screw but for now it seems secure. Upcoming trip will be first road test.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Forgot that I also fashioned a stop for the slider that allows it to just open to the leading edge of the seat. I read where others used a tennis ball stuffed into the track but didn't understand how that incorporates the hold-open catch.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Minor things are all non-permanent, the most expensive being the addition of a Fiamma Privacy Room to enclose the area under the awning. I'll use it for the first time next week, and let you know how it works. Hopefully well enough to be worth the expense.
As promised (threatened?) I've got a report on that Fiamma Privacy Room. I used it at Eisenhower State Park, Denison, Texas, last week.

When the thing arrived via UPS, I unpacked the carboard carton and transfeered everything to the "MegaBag" that was packed with it. That's a nylon bag supposedly large enough to hold all of the pieces. Yeah, it's big enough, but NOT strong enough. It has webbing handles on both ends and webbing carry straps in the middle. The stitching ripped out on one end handle and the carry straps, leaving me with a 55-pound bundle that's almost impossible to carry.

Earlier this week I ordered a much better bag from a company called Sam Ash, that makes equipment bags for drummers, to carry their drum stands and such. It's got rollers at one end, and a rigid base, along with the end handles and center carry straps. It's not quite as long end-to-end as the Fiamma MegaBag, so that some metal pieces won't fit, but I'll figure out something different for them. The Sam Ash bag has a 100-pound capacity, and the rollers will make it easier for a solo traveler like me to handle. and it should be easy enough to stand it on end behind the driver's seat and lash it into place for transit, unlike the Fiamma MegaBag.

When I went to set up the Privacy Room, the instructions were crap. Mostly pictures that didn't clearly illustrate what they're trying to show, and stilted text that was translated from Italian by someone for whom English is a second language at best. However, being an engineer, I pride myself on my ability to figure out how to do things without instructions when necessary, so I pressed ahead valiantly.

The instructions were actually written for a Privacy Room that fits on an F45 awning, not an F65 awning. I didn't know that I'd have to drill the awning case to install two brackets. Not a problem, just unexpected. It's only one drilled hole per bracket, and the brackets should be able to remain in place thereafter, not be removed every time you take down the Privacy Room.

The key to setting up the Privacy Room is the "Clip System S" as it's called in the catalog, or "FastClip" as it's called on the labels on the clips. Basically, they're a pair of four-foot-long clamps that slip-fit together to make eight-foot-long clamps. Connects to the brackets I installed on the awning case at the upper end, attach to the leading-edge metal part of the awning (whatever that's called) at the lower end, and then clamp to the awning fabric along the entire eight-foot length.

The problem with the FastClips was the connection at the lower end. They're supposed to connect to protrusions on the leg swivels, but my F65 awning has a different type of leg swivels that completely lacks any kind of protrusion for the FastClips to interlock with. I got by through the simple expedient of putting them in place and then retracting the awning just far enough to put the FastClips in compression. It was fine for that outing since there wasn't much wind, but I don't like the idea of just friction-fit if there was any kind of a wind. I'm still trying to work out an acceptable substitute connection method before my next trip. If I can't figure anything out, I'll order a pair of F45 leg swivels to replace the F65 leg swivels.

One must be careful when attaching the FastClips to the awning fabric. There are some sharp edges that can cut the fabric. I'll be rounding those corners with a file before I use the Privacy Room again.

Once the FastClips are in place, the rest is pretty easy. Each wall and door panel has a plastic "bolt-rope" at the top that feeds into a slot on either the front of the awning or the outer edge of the FastClip. Feed the panels in, pull them tight, zip adjacent panels together.

Then another problem cropped up. The wall panels that butt up against the side of the RV have foam inserts that are supposed to be sandwiched between the RV's outer surface and a vertical metal pole, mistakenly called a "vertical rafter" in the instructions. The problem is, the pole is straight and vertical; the wall of the Sprinter is curved and angled. I couldn't use the poles. I worked around that by using a pair of bungee cords, conected at the top end to the awning case, and at the bottom end to a metal stake driven into the ground. The bungee cords conformed to the shape of the Sprinter van body, unlike the poles.

One other problem, at the sliding side door, I had a choice of that foam-filled edge interfering with closing the sliding door, or blocking the passenger front door. No possible way to set it up without blocking one or the other because the doors are too close together. I chose to block the passenger front door since I use the sliding door far more often while camping.

After that, it was just a matter of staking down the lower edges of the walls, rolling up the plastic windows to leave screened openings, and hey, presto, I was done.

It made for nice covered storage and a decent retreat from the deerflies (big as pigeons, I swear!), and because that side was in shade all the time no matter what the angle of the sun, it even made the interior of my Interstate about 5 degrees cooler than on my previous outing.

Plus, thanks to the FastClips clamped along the edges of the awning, the awning didn't flap as much when a breeze sprang up. Even when I don't use the whole Privacy Room, I'll probably use the FastClips on every outing, once I figure out that whole lower-end issue and file off those sharp corners.

The first attempt at setting up took about two hours; I expect the next attempt to take significantly less time now that I don't have to figure out what I'm doing and don't have to drill any more holes. I was working alone the whole time; it would have gone about 25% quicker with a second person.

The time to take everything down and pack it away was only about 45 minutes, again working alone. It would take less for two people because folding the wall panels is awkward for one.

While setting up that first ime, I swore up and down that I'd throw the damned thing away when I got home, but I changed my mind once I was done. I'll use it again, but probably will get more use from the Privacy Room during the relatively mild Louisiana winters. With the plastic windows rolled down, it should retain heat nicely.

I did take some pictures once I was done setting up, but haven't yet downloaded them or reduced them to a size that I can attach to a post. If anyone's interested, let me know.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Flammable Privacy Room

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see your pictures.

Setting up the privacy room, sounded .... Difficult.
But please, let's see how it looks. I'm wondering how you had a bungee cords long enough. Lucky you're an engineer. I would not have been able to do so many 'work arounds'.

Plg
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see your pictures.

Setting up the privacy room, sounded .... Difficult.
But please, let's see how it looks. I'm wondering how you had a bungee cords long enough. Lucky you're an engineer. I would not have been able to do so many 'work arounds'.
It really was difficult. And frustrating. But then again, the first time is always the hardest. It will get easier with practice. As for the bungee cords, two 4-foot cords linked together equals one 8-foot cord, so I just linked together enough short cords to get the length I needed.

I haven't actually finished all of my work-arounds yet, just enough of them to get it set up the first time. I know what else I need to do to get a setup that I'm really happy with, but I'm taking my time with it.

And honestly, though I give credit to my engineering background for figuring out the jury-rigs I used, it's actually more just mule-headed stubbornness than anything else, that helped the most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0074 resized.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	163110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0075 resized.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	163111  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077 Resized.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	163112  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Your set-up really does look very good. Honestly. It looks 'professional'. I like it.
From your description I was fearing something that looked like dog-patch with duck tape and string, rather 'twine'. Very nice.
The park looks pretty nice too, not too crowded.
One thing I excel at is stubborn. Stubborn gets more people to more places than just about anything else. What's that quote? 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration or for me that means stubbornness.
Anyway,
Thanks for sharing it looks great.
Plg
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Congrats on not having to resort to duct tape.

Looks good the way you have it set up in the pics.

On the "Thread subject", I put a micro toggle switch on each rear speaker since the MB radio doesn't have a fader option.

Considering mounting one or two small fans in the rear for these extremely hot days as even running the rear air on the gen doesn't keep it cool and when it fails as it did on our recent trip, well it gets hot and a little uncomfortable. At least the fans could help move some of the cool air from the front to the rear.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
How about a Bathtub?

I subscribe to Grist.org and they link to Treehuggers

There was the most amazing story about this lady living in a tiny apt.

It is what she had done to make her small space workable. Two items caught my attention, #1) a bathtub on rollers concealed in beautiful wood, under her L.R. Table and #2) her use of the dresser sections, also on rollers, that could have doubled/ did double as counter space.

If I worked for Airstream, I'd take a close look at these ideas. Nothing like an item having multiple uses as in dresser and/or kitchen counter.

Amazing tiny apartment has a bathtub under the dining table | Grist

I wish I could figure how how to post pictures of her bathtub and her dressers.

I read a post here on airstream forums and they said, look to the left of the 'submit post' for a little indicator button on how to upload pictures. I don't see it, & I don't get it.

If I go to additional options to manage attachments, they want a URL. If I give them the Amazing tiny apartment has a bathtub under the dining table | Grist -- I get an invalid message and I don't know where to get an URL for the 'save images' that are on my iPad.

Perhaps you'll go to the above website.
Perhaps you'll like the bathtub in the living room pictures at the above website.
Perhaps you'll fine the modular dresser used as a counter inspirational.
Plg
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
It is what she had done to make her small space workable. Two items caught my attention, #1) a bathtub on rollers concealed in beautiful wood, under her L.R. Table and #2) her use of the dresser sections, also on rollers, that could have doubled/ did double as counter space.

If I worked for Airstream, I'd take a close look at these ideas. Nothing like an item having multiple uses as in dresser and/or kitchen counter.
The very concept upon which Ikea was founded.

Space allocation in an Interstate is already engineered to a fare-thee-well. There is no waste space whatsoever where you could tuck away furniture and pull it out, hey presto, when you need it. There is one pull-out in my Interstate, a countertop extension. Above the dorm-sized refrigerator is a shallow drawer, and in between the refrigerator and the drawer is the pull-out. It pulls out the end of the galley cabinet right behind the driver's seat. When I turn the driver's seat 180° to face the pull-out, said pull-out makes an ideal laptop computer desk.

There is one spot in my Interstate, between the bathroom on the passenger side and the wardrobe closet on the driver's side, where the aisle is only 19 inches wide. I'm wider than 19 inches at the shoulders, so I have to twist sideways a little bit just to move from the galley area to the lounge area. The bathroom is so narrow that although I can shower in the space without trouble, I have to open the bathroom door to get enough elbow room to towel off afterwards. That's NOT a compliant; it's jus an example of how tightly-designed the Interstate interior actually is.

Your examples are ingenious, but trust me when I say that Airstream designers are already doing the best that ANYBODY could do to shoehorn in as many amenities as they do in such a small space.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Your examples are ingenious, but trust me when I say that Airstream designers are already doing the best that ANYBODY could do to shoehorn in as many amenities as they do in such a small space.
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. The Airstream "designers" (and the rest of the RV industry) have been spectacularly UN-imaginative at introducing new ideas into the design of RV interiors. There hasn't been a real innovation since the introduction of the pop-out. It is true that they do a pretty optimal job of parsing out the available space, but that only scratches the surface of what a little cleverness could accomplish (as the great video in Mockinbrd's post illustrates). The basic problem is that, with few exceptions, they rigidly allocate a given volume of space to a single function, where they could and should be making it possible to use the same volume for multiple purposes.

Obvious examples:
--We spend maybe 5% of our time cooking, yet the space allocated to the galley is taken up 100% of the time. Why doesn't the whole kitchen fold away at the press of a button the way that beds already do.

--The bathroom/shower space in a B-van is hugely extravagant but necessary. So, it is made tiny to the point of being barely usable. Why doesn't it double in size when used as a shower--sliding out into the aisle for a short period? (this has been tried once or twice, but never well or cleverly).

--Hanging closets/wardrobes are great but voluminous. Why don't they slide inward when the door is closed--squeezing the extra air out of the loosely-hanging clothing? Then maybe we wouldn't have to squeeze sideways to get our shoulders past.

These are just the first things that popped into my head. The list of untapped possibilities is endless. Yes, I know that every once in awhile some vendor tries some kind of new gimmick. But rarely well and never in an integrated way--it is always individual stunts. If you want to get an idea of what is actually possible, take a look at one of those "Transformer" toys. If only half the cleverness that goes into those were applied to the inside of a Sprinter, we would be miles ahead of where we are today.

I love my Interstate, and Airstream is probably the best vendor in the industry, but if that sounds like damning with faint praise, then so be it. No offense intended to any poster, but pretending that the Airstream designers are some kind of paragon of creativity is IMO a joke.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote