Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #1261
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Smallest mod ever:

I'm gradually consuming the back side of every cabinet face for organizational stuff like this.
INTERBLOG - Very nice organizer. Gotta keep all of them out of sight when not in use. I hate cable and wire clutter too (you know how bad I am ) Good tip and practice for everyone to use these un-utilized spaces, not just for cables. There is a lot in an AI. So much so that I firmly believe if I tried to utilize every square inch of storage in my AI, I probably would easily get way over GVWR without utilizing all of it.
__________________

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #1262
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Here's my mod after 4 days with Lew at AM solar, 4 solar panels, weBoost with antenna at the rear, victron amazing blue power center with bluetooth apps, lithium battery, interior propane switch. I can reach control panel from driver's seat. I told him I needed to retain space in back for litter box since I travel with a cat and everything fit perfectly. The space now occupied by the battery and inverter was where the cat sometimes slept, but he has plenty of other places to sleep. And, now I can sleep while travelling without worrying about the lousy batteries. Lew does amazing work.
LEW - Nice work! Love how you do your wiring/routing. Definitely a different league than standard AS wiring job. AS not even in your ballpark

MANSDERM161 - Really nice stuff! You may need to add supplemental caging around your batt/inverter in case little kitty cat may find his/her old bedroom even more warmer & cozy with inverter heat. If/when you get chance, could you post better res pic of the batt & inverter trays, enclosures. Are they standard issue trays that can be bought or does LEW custom fabricate them for each job? Now I am itching to do this.
__________________

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #1263
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 515
I'll try to get better picks with better weather. It was still sprinkling, cloudy, dreary. There is no tray, just a bracket, appears to be aluminum, holding everything to the side. The rubber tray I had from a Honda odyssey that I put in back for cat and litter box. Lew cut it to fit around the battery and inverter. It is one battery, life blue 300, I think. The cat is too big to get on the inverter or battery. I spent the first night on way back home at cracker barrel with fridge, freezer, and fantastic fan on with absolutely no battery drain at all. Can finally sleep in peace when not hooked up. I just took it back to storage, but I bring it home every week, so I'll get some picks then. The pics posted were taken with my tablet. I'll use phone for next set. It was a lot of money, but now I really have freedom to roam, whereas before I had constant worry about finding a place to hook up or waking up with dead batteries.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #1264
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,233
Another mod for the T1N crowd's consideration.

Remember I switched out the rear hot water heater screwed-on face panel to a neodymium attachment system?

This is why I did that - so that I could convert the front void into more shoe storage.

The relevant design element here is that the bottom bits of those two bungees are attached via another pair of neodymiums, and the shelf is also unattached, held in place only by the bungees, just like the shoes. Therefore for vacuuming and retrieving lost items and messing with the water valves and generally getting back there under the couch, all of this stuff just lifts out of the way, and slips back into place after the work is done.

I haven't decided if I'm fully satisfied with this design, but it's much better than what was in that space to start with.

Instructions: EVEN MORE SHOE STORAGE FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE


InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #1265
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 515
That's pretty good! Shoes are a challenge, and I don't see your waterproof shoes for rainy days. Or I guess you can just put plastic bags over your shoes like I had to do at Alumalina. I currently have no place for shoes!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #1266
Rivet Master

 
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 502
IB,

If you have a picture of the Bypass valve, would you please show it? Thanks!

Love the mod!





Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Another mod for the T1N crowd's consideration.

Remember I switched out the rear hot water heater screwed-on face panel to a neodymium attachment system?

This is why I did that - so that I could convert the front void into more shoe storage.

The relevant design element here is that the bottom bits of those two bungees are attached via another pair of neodymiums, and the shelf is also unattached, held in place only by the bungees, just like the shoes. Therefore for vacuuming and retrieving lost items and messing with the water valves and generally getting back there under the couch, all of this stuff just lifts out of the way, and slips back into place after the work is done.

I haven't decided if I'm fully satisfied with this design, but it's much better than what was in that space to start with.

Instructions: EVEN MORE SHOE STORAGE FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE


bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #1267
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
.... I don't see your waterproof shoes for rainy days. ...
Waterproof foot ware is going on the roof. If I count rubber boots, then we sometimes need to take 12 pairs of shoes between us, rather than 10 (it sounds absurd, but I explained it in the blog post).

But I'm waiting on an 8020 part that my husband ordered yesterday before completing that part of the roof mod.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #1268
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
IB,

If you have a picture of the Bypass valve, would you please show it? Thanks!

Love the mod!
Yes, given that it now takes me 30 seconds to pull all the pieces out and access this water heater, here is the pic with the lines configured to run water THROUGH the heater.

For those not familiar with valving, long axis of the valve knob parallel to the line means open. Perpendicular means closed. Reverse the order of the knobs to isolate the water heater for drainage. Then drain the rest of the lines separately using the spigots underneath the van.

Oh look - there's a zip lock bag on the right side of the water heater that I didn't even notice until I uploaded this pic to Imgur. I wonder what's in it?? That's what I mean about things falling behind this couch.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #1269
Rivet Master

 
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 502
Thanks so much!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #1270
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I'll try to get better picks with better weather. It was still sprinkling, cloudy, dreary. There is no tray, just a bracket, appears to be aluminum, holding everything to the side. The rubber tray I had from a Honda odyssey that I put in back for cat and litter box. Lew cut it to fit around the battery and inverter. It is one battery, life blue 300, I think. The cat is too big to get on the inverter or battery. I spent the first night on way back home at cracker barrel with fridge, freezer, and fantastic fan on with absolutely no battery drain at all. Can finally sleep in peace when not hooked up. I just took it back to storage, but I bring it home every week, so I'll get some picks then. The pics posted were taken with my tablet. I'll use phone for next set. It was a lot of money, but now I really have freedom to roam, whereas before I had constant worry about finding a place to hook up or waking up with dead batteries.
MANSDERM161 - Thank you again. Stuff like this is an engineer's treat. I was wondering what the ribbed floor covering was. It was not obvious from the other pic (which showed the kitty box) that it was part of one unit. Since you had already trimmed it out losing the raised lip, if you want more coverage of that area, you can get one of these outdoor mats that are rubber-backed topped with washable carpeting. Lowe's or Home Depot carry them but only in 3'x5' size. In order to completely cover rear with 1 piece, need at least 4'x5'. Different sizes orderable online, then just trim to fit around cabinetry, furniture, and bolts. Makes it easy in case kitty has an accident
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_164209.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	329504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_164237.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	329505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_164325.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	329506  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #1271
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 515
Looks very nice. Funny thing is I had my cat toilet trained until I got the AI. I knew there was no way he'd use the AI toilet, plus I'd have to keep the bathroom door propped open...big hassle. Now he will only use box. I guess trying to balance while trying "to go" is not much fun!*♀️
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #1272
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 515
That Honda odyssey rubber mat was $100 so when I sold that vehicle, I kept it, had it in the back of Subaru outback, then got AI and it fit almost perfectly in back. It is light weight, washes off easily and obviously easy to cut. Lew knew I needed the space for cat litter box and cut it further to fit beside mods and litter box. For anyone who wants to travel with a cat, you have to go with regular clumping, minimal fragrance litter. If you go with light weight litter, it will be all over your rig and fragrance will drive u nuts after a few days!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #1273
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 515
And those are not my imogis!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #1274
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 112
I got tired of fighting with the velcro straps that hold up the rear bed wings. A strip of plastic with small bolts, nuts, and washers took care of it. It is a one hand operation now, just lift and twist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_103843.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	329835  
__________________

GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.