Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #1191
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
House = 650 sq ft. Garage = 1200 sq ft. Can’t get the Interstate in the garage so added it’s own carport. TN has no income tax but sales tax is 9.5%. Our RE taxes is $600 for house, garage and 13 acres.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #1192
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Obviously we've got a collection of truly great minds thinking alike here on the house:garage ratio.

And speaking of garages and mods generally, there are mods we do to our Interstates, and then there are mods that we do BECAUSE we've done mods to our Interstates.

Case in point on the latter. Through an unsatisfying sequence of events, we (1) ended up with not one but two de-installed Dometic refrigerators (blog post here). They both re-commenced working after we learned of the burping technique.

We also ended up with (2) a de-installed but fairly new and perfectly good Lifeline AGM battery, expensive little sucker that it is. That because it was displaced by our lithium system.

We also have (3) an ongoing dispute with Sears due to a Kenmore Elite refrigerator that is under warranty that they can't (or won't) fix. Even if we end up taking Sears to court, which is looking more and more likely, we will continue to have an ongoing interim need for a refrigerator.

We also have (4) a very resourceful family member (LB_3) who is sick and tired of living out of just one of the two available Dometics, as we have been doing for three months now.

We also (5) live in one of the country's most vulnerable areas for hurricanes.

Put all that mess ^^ together and stir vigorously. What comes of it is shown in the attached photo of a work-in-progress. LB_3 got a wild hair yesterday and decided that he wanted to build a Dometic condo. Sort of like a cat condo, except for propane refrigerators instead of cats, and without the beige carpeting up the sides.

It's going to have a roof that will hold a couple of propane bottles, and it will be trimmed out nicely. I will stain and seal it to look like an industrial chic piece of furniture. During the next big hurricane, we'll be able to run a sizable fridge capacity off-grid using propane, but in the meantime, we can plug in and double our current fridge capacity while we continue to do battle with Sears.

This is not the kind of contraption that anyone in their right mind would set out to make intentionally, but given that we already own all the parts, it makes sense. I had originally planned to sell one or both of the Dometics on Craigslist, but I would not get what they are worth, and we don't otherwise have a fridge in our garage, so here we are.

This has wheels, too, so that it can be moved around as needed.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #1193
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Your garages put mine to shame...

On the house and garage... I too wanted the same. Even got a property (some 5 acres) 15 years ago with the intent to build my dream home... a small house with a huge garage...

Got as far as to clear 2 acres a few years after I bought it...

Even started making mock-ups

But wife and kids love where we are and the dream of building just faded into nothingness... we sold the property last year and that is how we got the AI...

I ended up getting a low height two post lift and made it work with what I had at home... made several holes on the floor to be able to move it around

Here, helping a friend with his car...

I am always in the garage doing something... but it is a mess... I would take a weekend (or two) and take everything out, clean, organize... only to have to do that again in a few months...

I still tell my wife that for the new house I want something like what I wanted to build in the property... her reaction is always "what new house!!?? We are not moving!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineRepair-1_zpsae6f61ba.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	314387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage-3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	314388  

Name:	engine_out4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	314389  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #1194
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Not enough garage. But you'e getting close. Those Porsche's need a home as much as you do.

More cowbell.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #1195
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Interblog,

Your Kenmore situation is past ridiculous. Too bad the fix for your compressor fridge is not as simple as a "burp". Guess there is something to be said for the simple design of absorption fridges.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #1196
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Awesome recycling and reuse with the fridges! It is nice to have a garage fridge!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #1197
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
30x40 pole barn garage. 3 10’ bays and 1 10’ shop area. This is where the Goldwing lives for now. Thinking of converting this area into man cave. Sorry, all my Porsche’s were at the cleaners😎.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79D587CB-D172-45A6-A50A-90A3DCE3A441.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	314410  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #1198
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I don’t want to show my garage.
Two motorcycle full lifts, 3 welders (MIG TIG Gas) Press, SnapOn rollaway, a BUNCH of motorcycles (2 waiting restoration, 1 in the middle of overhaul), air compressor, spares for all the vehicles (fairly well organized), ‘cherry picker’, wheel balancer...dang. Plus all the usual ‘garage’ stuff.

Too hot the last couple of days to do much later in the afternoon (for me). I just mowed the law, already 68º out there! Cooking! (It has been in the 80’s which is darn hot for here).

Maybe I spend too much time out goofing off...

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #1199
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I don’t want to show my garage.
Two motorcycle full lifts, 3 welders (MIG TIG Gas) Press, SnapOn rollaway, a BUNCH of motorcycles (2 waiting restoration, 1 in the middle of overhaul), air compressor, spares for all the vehicles (fairly well organized), ‘cherry picker’, wheel balancer...dang. Plus all the usual ‘garage’ stuff.

Too hot the last couple of days to do much later in the afternoon (for me). I just mowed the law, already 68º out there! Cooking! (It has been in the 80’s which is darn hot for here).

Maybe I spend too much time out goofing off...

Mark
Ha! Notice how far away I am taking the picture? There is a good reason for that. I’d like to modify the roofline over the middle garage and add a 10’ tall door.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #1200
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Not enough garage. But you'e getting close. Those Porsche's need a home as much as you do.

More cowbell.
Only three left...and a '81 Fiat Spider rusting outside (keep forgetting to put it on craiglist to get rid of it) got rid of all the motorcycles and kept one (well, two, cousin gave me back the one I gave him, so something else I need to put on craiglist)... Down to one fridge in the garage as well... I am trying, but man I am so bad on this... I would work, fix it and walk away for someone else to clean up and organize... problem is, there is nobody else to do that

I am making sure not to do the same with the AI... any project there gets finished or at a state where the AI is always ready to go...

I just need to address the mount of the inverter...

And figure out why my chassis battery was at 12.1 volts this morning ...and yes, it was plugged into 15amp outlet...

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #1201
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
OK, this is *NOT* what I need to be doing right now. But who can resist?

Great plans by Wachuko. Ours might look something like this below, to account for my offices. In our original thoughts, the garage would be 100% of the lower floor and the house would be much of the upper. But that might make for a bland elevation. Would be relatively cheap to build, however.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #1202
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Our current garage, but pics taken several years ago before it got destroyed by a multiplicity of projects. Generally it now looks like a bomb went off in it.

Bomb or not, it's too small.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #1203
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Interblog,

Your Kenmore situation is past ridiculous. Too bad the fix for your compressor fridge is not as simple as a "burp". Guess there is something to be said for the simple design of absorption fridges.
The sobering part is that there's no easy way out of our predicament. The repair techs we've had are all in agreement that a LARGE fraction of newer fridges are failing. They claim that the design changes demanded by environmental regulators made them far too twitchy and failure-prone. So even if we wanted to eat the $2K or so we spent on this one, there's probably nothing to buy that would be more reliable. We might get right back into the same financial hole with a replacement.

So in the name of mandated "energy efficiency", we are now running two propane fridges on AC instead of one "super-efficient" compressor fridge that simply will not work. I won't bother doing the math on what the Dometics are eating, energy-wise.

But that's another reason why LB_3 decided to build the Dometic condo. We might just say to hell with stick and brick refrigerators generally, and use the ones we know are working. We've been doing it for three months already. It is becoming routine.

Moral of that story: If you have an older fridge in your house that is still working, don't trade it in for one of these newer pieces of crap. These fancy next-gen fridges are now in the range of $1,500 - $3,500. In our experience, you might as well take that cash and throw it out your window for all the good its going to do you to spend it on one of these.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #1204
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Make Sears take it back and buy one from Ikea. They don’t make their appliances but they do carry a 5 year warranty. We had one and it was wonderful.