Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #121
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
It is the Nav unit, model DNX6190HD, same as the one AS is now installing as standard equipment in the new Interstates.

GM
My 2012 Interstate came with a Kenwood DNX7160, replaced with a Kenwood DNX7180 after the 7160 was stolen (less than 24 hours after I bought my Interstate. Long story told elsewhere on the forums). Honestly can't tell the difference between the two models, they even come with the same owner's manual.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow, gmillerok1, you're a talented man!

You could probably have a nice, part time job hiring yourself out to those of us who are not so handy.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #123
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I believe both of those units are discontinued. The DNX6190 is what I believe AS is currently installing in Interstate, but I think it is basically pretty much the same as yours but has built-in Pandora and Aha radio functions from what I understand, which we do use and are handy on those long drives. I used to have satellite radio but found it not worth it. Pandora is free and Aha has news and other content, at least between the two of them I sure don't need satellite radio. I don't care much for talk radio. If I want an opinion, I'll ask my wife. She's never shy to let me know what it is anyway.
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the install for the Drone remote start/alarm system or the Nav unit, other than paying a guy to do them. I think my Sprinter was one of the first units that had a remote start installed. At the time, Viper did not have that ability.

It is similar to the Viper system. I can monitor my van anywhere in the country. Mess with it, and I get an alarm on my iPhone instantly. Remote start was just an added bonus. Highly recommended.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #125

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The DNX6190 is what I believe AS is currently installing in Interstate, but I think it is basically pretty much the same as yours but has built-in Pandora and Aha radio functions from what I understand, which we do use and are handy on those long drives.
Mine has Pandora and Sirius XM, but not Aha. I mostly use the iPod dock, the Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone, and the Garmin nav system. Pandora may be free, but my wireless broadband Internet is Verizon, and costs too much to use up my monthly data allowance on internet radio. And at the State Parks I've been to that offer free WiFi, they have such slow connections that they insist on "no streaming" lest it eat up their entire available bandwidth.

Side note, I was seriously freaked out the first time I received a text message on my cell phone while driving while it was connected to the Kenwood via Bluetooth, and the text message popped up on my Kenwood display, too. Should have expected it, but still…
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I forgot about these mods:

11. Replaced the two cheap rear speakers with Polk higher quality speakers.

12. Added a "Stowaway II" to the hitch for more storage space.

13. Turned the waste hose spigot 90 degrees so the hose won't tear from use.

14. Added a ball-valve to the fresh water drain.

15. Added insulation behind the bath/shower to reduce heat load from hidden window (that was a chore) so the bath stays cooler during the day.

16. Replaced the drop-down reading lights over the rear lounge with LED's which match the ones installed in the ceiling.

17. Replaced the 4-gang switch with the new 5 gang labeled dimmer switch on the front bath wall currently being installed in new 2013's.

18. Had custom shelves built to match space and color in the streetside wardrobe to better utilize the space (mine has a wardrobe on both side). I used the same plastic shelf supports as the other side so the shelves are adjustable. This effectivey quadrupled the space I could use in the wardrobe (we didn't use it for hanging clothes anyway).

19. Added an outside temperature sensor so I have both inside and outside temperatures displayed.

I think that's it. Maybe. I've been pretty busy tinkering. :-)

Gerald
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #127

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I think that's it. Maybe. I've been pretty busy tinkering. :-)
As long as you enjoy it.

Personally, I haven't found half as many things that I don't like about my Interstate that would need changing. but that's what individuality is all about.

My major change to my Interstate was actually a change to my new Honda Fit, which is now a full-fledged toad. My first extended trip towing my Honda is coming up in late May, when I visit Lake Seminole.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I towed a 3500 capacity trailer in my Interstate, though it probably only had about 1500 lbs or so inside. I couldn't even tell it was back there. The Fit only weighs a bit more so I bet it won't be too much of a drag on the Sprinter. We don't stay put long enough to justify towing a second vehicle. I did see a photo of a Sprinter RV pulling another Sprinter RV one time. I would be interested to know how the Sprinter performs with the toad.

Gerald
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #129

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I towed a 3500 capacity trailer in my Interstate, though it probably only had about 1500 lbs or so inside. I couldn't even tell it was back there. The Fit only weighs a bit more so I bet it won't be too much of a drag on the Sprinter. We don't stay put long enough to justify towing a second vehicle. I did see a photo of a Sprinter RV pulling another Sprinter RV one time. I would be interested to know how the Sprinter performs with the toad.

Gerald
When I towed the Honda home from the Airstream dealer after the install (80 miles on I-10), I could hardly tell it was there. Really. Without the rearview camera, the only thing I could see in the mirrors were the Honda's mirrors.

Towing a Honda Fit is limited to 65 mph. I was doing 62 with cruise control on, and got the same fuel economy as when I'm not towing at 70 mph. Tracks well, doesn't really limit my turns at all; I can turn almost as tight towing as not, thanks to the Roadmaster Sterling AT towbar that doesn't bind no matter what.

The Honda Fit has a 2600-pound curb weight, and a 3400-pound GVWR. But since the car is supported on its own wheels all around, tongue weight is about 20 pounds for the front half of the towbar. Nothing weighing down the rear end of the van.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I would love to hear more about several of your mods. Particularly your Drone remote start system (I have been told by several installers that there is no information available on tapping into the Sprinter wiring to make this work), Blackvue dash-cam (what is it?), turning the waste hose spigot (I don't really understand what you did honestly, but anything to keep the sucker from deteriorating I'm interested in), insulating the hidden window behind the bath (I've thought about doing that but have not figured out how to get back there), and finally the installation of the 5 gang switch with dimmer ... I'm not aware of this update to the 2013's, tell me more, my wife loves dimmer switches and the main ceiling lighting is VERY bright.

I just accidentally embarked on a pretty serious mod of my own. I was pondering the idea of retrofitting the reclining captains chairs from a new Toyota Sienna Limited in place of the 2nd row seats in my 2012. I am happy with the OEM front seats (recovered by AS in pleather unfortunately) but find the 2nd row seats flimsy and not very confidence inspiring when you think about crash safety. I found a set of the fancy toyota thrones on Ebay with a buy-it-now of $1295. I boldly made what I thought was a low-ball offer ... and they took it! Yikes! Now to see what my welder toting buddies can come up with for mounts! I will keep you posted on my progress. Here are the seats: 2011 Toyota Sienna Middle Row Leather Recliner Seats T | eBay
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I also thought about the seats in my 2011-which are a big disapointment only because there are no shoulder harnesses. I complained loudly that how in the world could AS not have shoulder belts as they are required in all passenger vehicles since the 70's at AS customer support about this after I realized it (yes, I didn't notice it before I bought the unit and drove it 1800 miles home) and now, of course, AS added it on the 2012 and later models probably because of my complaints..too late for me but at least others have them now. I even thought about switching them out for the newer models with the harnesses, but it can't be done-at least according to AS because they redesigned the black tank just to accomodate them. Changing out the seats won't be easy for you. The access to the area under the floor to where you will need to bolt the seat support is blocked by either the tank or the side step if I recall. Let me know how the install goes, and good luck with it.

To answer your questions, I'm in Muskogee, so if you ever are this way, stop by and I'll show you personally (I noticed you live in Norman). Also, some of these are already written up and posted at the Yahoo Interstate group site as well.

But, in the meantime, here's the short version:

1. Go to Dronemobile.com (Remote Start and Security | Smartphone Control | GPS Tracking | DroneMobile.com) to read about the Drone Alarm/Remote Start. My Sprinter was one of the first installs in the country and it was a two day job. But it works great. Using the Drone remote, I can arm/disarm about 3/4 miles away. Beyond that, I can (and in most instances use it anyway if I don't have my key fob handy) I use my iPhone. The iPhone app will alert on forced entry even if I'm 2000 miles away (as long as I can get cell service), can tell me the cabin temperaure ( I guess if you have pets that's a good thing to know), and arm/disarms the van as well remotely. Highly recommended. After starting, you must put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position. A touch on the brake kills the engine immediately. A place in Tulsa did the install-Boomer Audio-and now that they spent two days learning on my van, it shouldn't take as long for yours. It is hardwired into the canbus and ignition switch. If you are interested, there may be a dealer closer to you and these installer guys all work together, so I'm sure they would help get it done if need be. For me, with all the stuff inside that could be stolen, it's a must and at least gives me peace of mind if nothing else.

2. For Blackvue DashCam info see BlackVue USA This is a High Def camera that can record about 13 hours in 3 minute videos that starts when I start up the van. I have had two close calls (caused by negligence or reckless driving of others)and so far was lucky to avoid an accident. It pretty much answers the question of who was at fault in an accident and is very easily installed.

3. The bath area heating up issue was resolved by rolling up Reflectix, and carefully placing it in the window area and unfolding it across the window, both toward the front and back. It takes two levels. Access was through the bath access panel. It was not easy, and took a lot of manipulation, but now the bath is not as hot as a microwave in the daytime as it was before. There still is a hot spot or two but nowhere near as before. You could fry an egg on the inside curbside panel. Well, maybe get it uncomfortabley warm at least. I guess if you like a dry sauna it works fine as is. But I didn't care for it as it also would heat up the entire interior. I spend time in warmer climates, and sure don't need something as dumb as an uninsulated window behind an enclosed area adding to the misery. I don't know if AS has resolved this in new models or not, but it is an incredibly stupid thing to do. You have to wonder that no one at Airstream ever trys these units out for more than a cool spring or fall weekend right near the factory. They need to spend two weeks in south Texas in July instead.

4. The dimmer switch requires two parts (only one if you don't care about not having labeled switches on both sets). The part numbers are:

512548 SWITCH 3 GANG WHITE TEXT $36.27
512549 SWITCH 4 GANG WHITE TEXT W/DIMMER $37.04
512551 CONTROL MODULE DIMMER 15A $55.25

You have to add about 1/2" on the panel on either side of the right (streetside) 3 gang switch to allow room for the 4 gang and dimmer switch. Wiring is simple-and only requires adding a jumper to a ground on the other 3 gang switch and wiring up the dimmer module (I used the ground to the tank heater).

Call John Thatcher at Colonial Airstream at 732-367-4499 and you can have the parts in a few days if you are interested. That's where I got mine.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Gerald
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #132

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I also thought about the seats in my 2011-which are a big disapointment only because there are no shoulder harnesses.
According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for seat belts, in the section covering motorhomes, shoulder harnesses were not required for any seating row behind the driver at the time the motorhome was manufactured. Your 2011 Airstream was perfectly legal without shoulder harnesses on the second row.

And since that is true, no matter how the standards change over time, they never will be required in your vehicle, even if they are required on newer ones. The standards in force at the time of manufacture continue to apply throughout the life of the vehicle.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I didn't say it was legally required but Roadtrek puts shoulder harnesses in all outboard seats, and I am only guessing but I bet Canadian standards may require it. It may be legal, but it is a stupid omission in what is really a big SUV, in my opinion, considering auto accidents are the leading killers of healthy people in the US. Yes, it technically is a motor home and not legally required, but just because it was legal to omit them, doesn't make it a smart decision when your major competitor include them. Apparently, AS agreed, as they added them after 2012 models came out.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Can you explain how you disconnected the step from retracting with the engine start? Does the step still retract automatically with the door closed?

I frequently load people with the engine running to cool things off and would love to have mine setup to allow the step to remain out. (Even if it beeps at me)
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #135
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Did you ever find any P/N for the exhaust tip?
I believe it is a magna flow tip:

http://m.magnaflow.com/02product/sho...=main&id=11237
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #136
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Ok
Latest mod:

Removed a portion of the expandable part of bathroom wall so that toilet seat can now be raised without having to open this extension.

The panel is just flush now and you don't have to go through a bunch of rigaramoris to use the bathroom.

Another great feature is that since the panel is still mounted on the piano hinges and not restricted to opening only 5", you can actually swing it out for ease of cleaning or airing out.

Ooooo..... can you post a picture or 2? That bathroom expander has been a problem for me. We travel w our 4 children in our interstate and while Dad drives, my biggest job is opening and closing that expander for the kids to use the toilet. The kids are too small to do themselves and their bladders are small too! And if I leave it open, the rattling sound the expander makes is too unpleasant!
Supercatspjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Here here. Poor design and needless. I actually like having the extra shoulder room, but I'm the only one of the 6 in the family that needs it. Love to see puctures
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #138

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercatspjs View Post
And if I leave it open, the rattling sound the expander makes is too unpleasant!
Do you not open it far enough? There is a friction catch to hold it open. Mine only rattles if it's somewhere between fully open and fully closed. I usually find that opening it, and then giving it a good slap from the inside, will cause the friction catch to engage and hold it open. But a handle or drawer pull on the outside so you can tug it fully open until it catches instead wouldn't be a bad addition. (Note to self…)

With my shoulders, I've got to leave the door fully operable; leaving it closed all the time is not an option.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #139
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercatspjs View Post
Ooooo..... can you post a picture or 2? That bathroom expander has been a problem for me. We travel w our 4 children in our interstate and while Dad drives, my biggest job is opening and closing that expander for the kids to use the toilet. The kids are too small to do themselves and their bladders are small too! And if I leave it open, the rattling sound the expander makes is too unpleasant!

This was the first mod I made. You can find pictures of the modification on the Yahoo Interstate group.

Perhaps it helps if you are broadshouldered, but for me it was just in the way. The only part that expands enough to make any difference is when you are sitting way back on the john. It is no help whatsover any other time. Airstream was trying to copy Roadtrek's design, which is much better as there is a double door, and it bows out in the middle when in use, and stays flat when not. You have to wonder what the Airstream's designer was thinking.

Maybe he has really broad shoulders.

Gerald
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercatspjs View Post

ooooo..... Can you post a picture or 2? That bathroom expander has been a problem for me. We travel w our 4 children in our interstate and while dad drives, my biggest job is opening and closing that expander for the kids to use the toilet. The kids are too small to do themselves and their bladders are small too! And if i leave it open, the rattling sound the expander makes is too unpleasant!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264890195.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	185259

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1427327910.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	185260
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote